House Passes Bill to Raise Minimum Wage to $15, a Victory for Liberals

Pure Water

Superstar
Daps
Hmm... The cost of living varies greatly from state to state, city to city. $15 in Charlotte ain't the same as $15 in New York.

In my ideal world, the federal government would force state and local governments to periodically adjust the minimum wage based on inflation and the cost of living in each city/state. You can game that system as well, but idk.

Mook

We should all strive to be like Mr. Rogers.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh
That would have to be on the state level. Or a federal law that mandates that states tie their minimum wages to the cost of living.

Fast food, retail (ex: Sears sales associate, cashier).

Let's get one thing straight

IF A JOB EXISTS ITS TO MAKE SOMEONE RICH AND YOU DESERVE A LIVING WAGE.

FukkaPaidEmail

Retired Hoodrat whisperer
Daps
Reppin
The Diaspora
Terrible posting.

How is it terrible posting ? Someone who busts their ass in a factory or whatever job currently pays 15 dollars an hour should be making the same wage as a kid mopping floors in McDonald’s. So why work in a hot ass factory when he/she can bag groceries for the same wage ?? A real change would be attacking the overall wage system by which lifts the wages of all workers not just lifting the bottom.

When these companies are forced to pay a nationwide 15 dollars they’ll raise their prices to offset the costs and literally everyone loses purchasing power except those who got the minimum wage boost.

Raising the wage to a minimum of 15 dollars is a cute move but isn’t some magic economy saving bullet

LurkMoar

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
15 dollars an hour minimum will cost 1.2 million jobs. This type of thing can’t be a blanket one size fits all.

In Cali you 100% need 15 or even more just to survive but in fukking Nebraska you are just gonna kill small business. It’s not one size fits all people need to understand basic economics :mjtf:

LurkMoar

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Milk is damn near 4 dollars in Seattle with all the taxes but in Texas it’s like 1.50. Common sense :manny:

BillBanneker

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You can't have it both ways and consider progressive policy detrimental to black folks then want to leave the well being of a large part of the black folks in this country up to the leadership in states like Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana.

State economies(in my opinion) are too dynamic for a one size fits all approach. What you will end up doing as the CBO report shows is reducing the number of jobs. Allowing states to gradually increase the min wage on their own is the path forward.
A federal min wage mistake would be far too difficult to undo.
Black unemployment is currently at historic lows and we shouldn't be in a rush to ruin this trend.

I see you didn't address those states like alabama, georgia and louisiana aren't going to implement policies to help black workers.:unimpressed:

DEAD7

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Fresno, CA.
I see you didn't address those states like alabama, georgia and louisiana aren't going to implement policies to help black workers.:unimpressed:
Trade offs. Every state isn’t gonna act right.
Good thing is, the people of those states have much more control over the policies governing them at the state level then they do over policies at the federal level. It’s a much better situation in my opinion.
State mistakes are also much easier to fix.

I’d be curious as to the reasons so many blacks migrate to the places listed :ehh:low cost of living? Jobs?

BillBanneker

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Trade offs. Every state isn’t gonna act right.
Good thing is, the people of those states have much more control over the policies governing them at the state level then they do over policies at the federal level. It’s a much better situation in my opinion.
State mistakes are also much easier to fix.

Not really, there's no historical significance that policy changes at the state level has been easier for black workers to leverage. Hence, the for the need for federal laws.

DEAD7

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Fresno, CA.
Not really, there's no historical significance that policy changes at the state level has been easier for black workers to leverage. Hence, the for the need for federal laws.
:unimpressed:Reducing the number of American jobs isn’t a pro black policy. The states that can bear the increase should, those that cant shouldn’t.

BillBanneker

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:unimpressed:Reducing the number of American jobs isn’t a pro black policy. The states that can bear the increase should, those that cant shouldn’t.

So you're fine with having states that intentionally undermine black workers :ehh:

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
1. This is not a victory.
2. This is empty "feel good" legislation. This is roughly $28K a year (full-time) prior to taxes. It does not address the root issue of rapid increasing cost of living and the American debt abundance.
And it hopes to be phased in over the next 5 years. It’s nonsense that this being seen as anything except a feel good award.

And this won’t be passed in the senate.

BillBanneker

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:unimpressed:Black unemployment is at historic lows... lets keep it there as long as possible. We need as much human capital as we can get before competition really heats up.

Black unemployment is double that of whites. And labor participation rate is lower as well.

I bet you thought we were doing great during slavery.:ehh: