House Passes Bill to Raise Minimum Wage to $15, a Victory for Liberals

DEAD7

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Fresno, CA.
:mjtf:African Americans wanting to reduce the number of jobs will always bug me out... some of ya'll really think the game is fair, and we can afford to shrink the job market.
Berniewood is a cac so I get his support, but you nikkas?:gucci:

How about continuing the effort to lower unemployment?
-Lowering taxes
-Deregulation
-Punishing businesses that hire undocumented workers
-Closing the asylum loophole/backlog, deporting people here illegally

:blessed:Lets make all of America an employees market.

Yapdatfool

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:mjtf:African Americans wanting to reduce the number of jobs will always bug me out... some of ya'll really think the game is fair, and we can afford to shrink the job market.
Berniewood is a cac so I get his support, but you nikkas?:gucci:

-Lowering taxes
-Deregulation
-Punishing businesses that hire undocumented workers
-Closing the asylum loophole/backlog, deporting people here illegally

:blessed:Lets make all of America an employees market.

Why am I not surprised that raising wages isn't on your list... oh but you have lowering taxes so I guess that evens it out :martin:

Maybe you wanna mention how the tech sector is raising wages anyway to keep/get talent to work. They still hiring temps/contractors with 0 benefits for those jobs so they actually pay less on the back-end to pay them more up front:upsetfavre:

DEAD7

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Fresno, CA.
"Yet research on state-level minimum wage policies does not extend beyond $10"
:francis:

:usure:
Will a $15 minimum wage kill jobs and hurt the poor?
"Even progressive economists agree that “there is some point at which a higher minimum wage is counterproductive, leading to job losses that more than offset the benefit from the higher wage,” as Dean Baker of the Center for Economic and Policy Research, a DC think-tank, put it in 2017. The concern is particularly acute in low-income areas. It’s one thing to hike the minimum wage in California, with its median household income of $67,000, where affected businesses can raise prices to offset higher labor costs, counting on plenty of well-off consumers who who can foot the bill.

But what about Mississippi and Alabama, where median household incomes are less $50,000, and also well below the national median of $61,000? In such low-wage areas, the risk is that businesses will not be able to convince consumers to pay more, and instead will respond to higher labor costs by shrinking or shuttering their operations: the National Restaurant Association scenario."

Not claiming its completely settled either way, and there are countless articles going both ways on the issue... but I do consider the CBO reliable, and they predict well over a million jobs leaving the economy if we raise the min wage to $15.
:manny:And again, IMO shrinking the economy/reducing the number of jobs shouldn't be on the agenda for the demographic facing the most economic barriers and the highest level of unemployment.

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
"Yet research on state-level minimum wage policies does not extend beyond $10"
:francis:

:usure:
Will a $15 minimum wage kill jobs and hurt the poor?
"Even progressive economists agree that “there is some point at which a higher minimum wage is counterproductive, leading to job losses that more than offset the benefit from the higher wage,” as Dean Baker of the Center for Economic and Policy Research, a DC think-tank, put it in 2017. The concern is particularly acute in low-income areas. It’s one thing to hike the minimum wage in California, with its median household income of $67,000, where affected businesses can raise prices to offset higher labor costs, counting on plenty of well-off consumers who who can foot the bill.

But what about Mississippi and Alabama, where median household incomes are less $50,000, and also well below the national median of $61,000? In such low-wage areas, the risk is that businesses will not be able to convince consumers to pay more, and instead will respond to higher labor costs by shrinking or shuttering their operations: the National Restaurant Association scenario."

Not claiming its completely settled either way, and there are countless articles going both ways on the issue... but I do consider the CBO reliable, and they predict well over a million jobs leaving the economy if we raise the min wage to $15.
:manny:And again, IMO shrinking the economy/reducing the number of jobs shouldn't be on the agenda for the demographic facing the most economic barriers and the highest level of unemployment.
From your article:

But another major study, this one by University of California-Berkeley researchers Anna Godøy and Michael Reich, found a similar positive effect on wages but no ” adverse effects on employment.

The results: In all regions where minimum wage hikes went into effect, wages improved and poverty decreased, with no negative impacts on jobs—even in areas where the magnitude of the hike was comparable to what the Raise the Wage Act would be in Alabama and Mississippi. In other words, the National Restaurant Association’s dire warnings did not bear out.

DEAD7

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Fresno, CA.
Why am I not surprised that raising wages isn't on your list... oh but you have lowering taxes so I guess that evens it out :martin:

Maybe you wanna mention how the tech sector is raising wages anyway to keep/get talent to work. They still hiring temps/contractors with 0 benefits for those jobs so they actually pay less on the back-end to pay them more up front:upsetfavre:
I know a temp worker and he is ecstatic… the experience will help him climb into a 6 figure job.
Just say you hate the economic ladder...

Last edited:

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
Like I said, far from settled.

:hubie:I'm not rolling the dice with blacks where we are in this country. If the job loss is real or worse than predicted, we are fukked, and the gap between us a cacs grows...
Just as cacs want.
Black men would be the top beneficiaries wouldn't we? :patrice:

DEAD7

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Fresno, CA.
Black men would be the top beneficiaries wouldn't we? :patrice:
We could be hurt the most if the economy shrinks too :jbhmm:

July kicks off with 22 wage hikes across the country - MinimumWage.com
Who Benefits from a Higher Minimum Wage? | Econofact

:ehh:It seems far from settled...
:picard:The rippling effect seems to be in question too...
Lets not pretend blacks are in a position to gamble nationally, lets let the states handle this issue and accept that not every state will do what liberals want...

edit: :lolbron:brown men may be the biggest beneficiaries.

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
-Lowering taxes
-Deregulation
Do you even know what you want to deregulate and why? We just lowered taxes under Trump and no one feels great about it except the rich.

DEAD7

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Fresno, CA.
Do you even know what you want to deregulate and why? We just lowered taxes under Trump and no one feels great about it except the rich.
That’s to off topic, if you wanna ask in a new thread, just tag me, I’ll gladly respond. But let’s try to focus on minimum wage in here.
:salute:

As for the tax cuts... they have aided in economic growth, and the lowering of unemployment.
Americans are also taking home more:manny:

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
That’s to off topic, if you wanna ask in a new thread, just tag me, I’ll gladly respond. But let’s try to focus on minimum wage in here.
:salute:

As for the tax cuts... they have aided in economic growth, and the lowering of unemployment.
Americans are also taking home more:manny:
This isn’t true. Most of the tax cuts went to businesses and those well off. In fact, studies have shown that there has not been a positive impact at all.

LA Times

LurkMoar

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Automation is a myth......

At least for the next 30 years. If they had the technology, they would have been implemented it. Well technically they do partially have the technology, but they don't want to open themselves up to lawsuits that can bankrupt them, without fully going over all the kinks. Plus the rollout is a very complex process. It would a lot of businesses time to fully crossover.

Breh they have the kiosks out already :manny:

It’s the start up cost that’s been the inhibitors but it’s coming regardless :manny: artificiality increasing the price of workers will only speed up the process :manny: