Hot 97's Peter Rosenberg gets exposed AGAIN for not knowing the Teddy Riley and Babyface songs

philmonroe

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The 215
There are plenty of people who don't like r&b and certainly don't like the modern iterations. Black people are not a monolith. There are more black people who can't stand Teddy Riley/Babyface/New Jack/etc r&b than those who love it. Go ask a 60 year old black woman if she likes that shyt and she'll probably laugh in your face and tell you Motown/MJ/Luther/Anita/etc are real r&b, not that raunchy shyt from people who can't sing.
:yeshrug:

Back to Peter tho. I'm starting to get tired of these conversations because I sense that Rosenberg thrives on this shyt. Not just the attention, but the idea that people hate on him. It's that little man syndrome shyt. A bald, overweight, short dude who was NEVER apart of the cool club, yet loves trying to shyt on the cool club with his pure "real hip hop yall" opinions. And when he goes too far (Chuck D, Combat Jack, etc) he gets to pull the "I'm just a dumb white guy, I don't know these things sorry" card and gets away with it. I'm tired of it man.
This logic of your don't pass the smell test because is Peter 60? Hell nikka we talking people in the age range that was growing up on this shyt mainly not no fukking 60yr old. Black people aren't a monolith but most do like that shyt that grew up in the 80-90's who you trying to fool my man?

Crumple

All Star
Daps
Once again: R&B and Soul is the secret kryptonite to Hip Hop culture vultures

https://www.thecoli.com/threads/r-b...ryptonite-to-hip-hop-culture-vultures.646817/

Was Peter the guy dissing Jay Electronica?

If so that was wack.

But not knowing much about RnB or New Jack Swing has nothing to do with hip hop in my opinion.

The only Rnb I liked before I stopped checking for it was
Mary J Blige
Toni Braxton
TLC
Usher
Neyo
Lauren Hill

I know of Teddy Riley cause of Rump Shaker. I know of a bunch of hits where I was like oh Teddy Riley produced that too?

But Rnb was never a genre I checked for.

Personally for me it was

Hip Hop
Punk
Pop
Metal
Classic Rock
Soul
Roots Reggae
80s
Video game music
Drum and Bass
Dubstep

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Not excusing Rosenberg at all. As someone who is in music, he should know better. Still, his take on R&B isn't necessarily some white folks not vibing with R&B music as much as it is perception. I mean, I have seen and heard some awful takes on R&B music even from our people. I've seen takes like "R&B is simp music", "Can't listen to it because only females and gays listen to it" largely because its men and women expressing how they feel.

Hip Hop was seen as an alternative. As great of a culture as Hip Hop is, it is ironically a breeding ground for soft wannabes to be hyper masculine, hardcore g's minus the street credibility. Dealing with real feelings is viewed as weak and singing is viewed as something only weak men and women do. It is part of the reason Andre 3000 made Love Below. In Hip Hop, you could make a million songs about riding and dying for another man, but if you made that same song about a woman, you'd get hit with "that ain't Hip Hop" and the ironic "what kind of gay ish is this".

So white people gravitate to Hip Hop for the same reason they gravitated towards Rock. It was rebellious in nature and allows a lot of them to be something they are not.

R&B, at least it used to be, was different. It is a genre that embraces vulnerability and exposes an artist's soul in a smoother, subtle way. It isn't as in your face or straight to the point. Now R&B and Hip Hop are interchangeable.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
There are plenty of people who don't like r&b and certainly don't like the modern iterations. Black people are not a monolith. There are more black people who can't stand Teddy Riley/Babyface/New Jack/etc r&b than those who love it. Go ask a 60 year old black woman if she likes that shyt and she'll probably laugh in your face and tell you Motown/MJ/Luther/Anita/etc are real r&b, not that raunchy shyt from people who can't sing..

No BLACK AMERICAN would claim to NOT LIKE R&B, especially the foundational R&B that gave HipHop its sound. Yeah, you can find plenty of older Afram (people born in the 1940-1960s) heads who don't like 80s/90s/2000's R&B though:russ:

Last edited:

Guvnor

Da Speculative Spectacle®
Daps
Reppin
BKLYN
I never took his uninformed goofy ass seriously to begin with, but there are people who do, and that's the problem. him being a moron and being a voice spreads his stupidity to others.
I hear that, someone more credible should have that respect. He's a fanatic more than an expert but due to his job people take him like an expert and that's not right.

The G.O.D II

A ha ha
Supporter
Daps
There’s only like two black people on there. Ebro mad dikk ass hating on every babyface track. You could tell dude don’t get p*ssy. The two Mexicans just like:merchant: the majority of the time. Rosenjew trying so desperately to fit in, getting shytted on for his ignorance, and saying some “if I played billy Joel records from 89 you wouldn’t know it” while he’s on a so called hip hop station is insulting as fukk. Nobody listens to these clowns. How haven’t they shook up that morning show by now?

Last edited:

Real

Daps
Reppin
Under Your Skin
I dont mind him not knowing certain songs. It makes sense cuz he's a cac and didnt grow up with this music. I dont fault him for that.

But for this cac to stand up there and get on his platform and act and pretend as if any one of those that were played were "boring" pisses me off:beli:

I aint gonna lie. i was triggered by some of the slick shyt he was saying

xiceman191

Superstar
Daps
He meant.... that's the only song I recognize from this whole thing.

Nah he said that the song was better than Babyface's whole catalog. If he meant that it would be the only song he would recognize he would of said that shyt.

The G.O.D II

A ha ha
Supporter
Daps
This is why I really don't care for Hip Hop at ALL. It's like a zoo for white folks. They can come and see the culture. Talk about it like it's a sport. Come in and out and what not and feel good about it.

R&B is BLACK, PERIOD. It's love, it's Black relationships. It's Black marriages. Even if you are white, you gotta go over the top to show us you down like Jon B. Ain't no zoo over here cac.

Cacs can't relate and that's the most beautiful thing about it. I listen to a min and a half of them and it was embarrassing. Rosenberg sounding like an out of place cac.

It’s moms cleaning up the crib on a saturday. It’s summer barbeques. Family reunions. Sunday morning battle of the bands(the precursor to all these IG livd shyt)