Hot 97's Peter Rosenberg gets exposed AGAIN for not knowing the Teddy Riley and Babyface songs

Nigerianwonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
but seems like the notion here is being a rnb fan is some sort of gauge of blackness. being a rap fan definitely doesnt mean an ur rnb fan. i see alot rnb threads here in the booth get no action.

It's not a gauge of general blackness. If you are black you are black. But It's a gauge of whether you are a part of culture of hip hop and grew up in it and are a part of traditional black culture. There are plenty of black people who dont participate in traditional black culture or didnt grow up in it. But appreciating R&b and even black gospel is kind of just a part of growing up on a traditional black household.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
There are different types of white rap fans. A lot of them are attracted to rap for the same reasons they were attracted to hard rock or metal: the subversive nature of the genre (explicit lyrics, gangsta rap, etc). That group is a major reason why NWA blew up and took rap in the direction it went in. But there's also another group of white rap fans who just...like hip hop. Some are hardcore "real hip hop" fans, some only like rap from a specific period of time, some like virtually anything, etc. I agree the unifying thing for most of these people is that they didn't grow up with r&b and don't care for it.

If you listen to a lot of white musical journalists/fans/etc talk about James Brown you quickly realize they don't appreciate him. These are people who want to tell you all about how The Beatles changed everything about music...but will turn around and say "well James Brown had a couple good records but most of his stuff is repetitive and never evolved." Same types who will tell you MJ made generic pop, or that Prince made generic love songs. They don't respect black talent or music. These are the dudes who watched that Prince "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" video and were stunned to learn that yes, Prince is one of the greatest guitarists of all time. They know nothing about black music because deep down they're just waiting for a white artist to "do it better" (Eminem, Adele, etc).

No disrespect to white fans who appreciate black music for real, tho. I just don't think Rosenberg is one of them. "Real hip hop" is just the dikk measuring contest he decided to specialize in because it's the only one he can win. And one thing I'd note about Rosenberg...I don't get the impression he listens to much non-rap music in general. He's just a sperg who got obsessed with one thing and never let go. And the only reason he has a decent vinyl collection is because he wanted to DJ.

trillanova

The Truth
Daps
There are different types of white rap fans. A lot of them are attracted to rap for the same reasons they were attracted to hard rock or metal: the subversive nature of the genre (explicit lyrics, gangsta rap, etc). That group is a major reason why NWA blew up and took rap in the direction it went in. But there's also another group of white rap fans who just...like hip hop. Some are hardcore "real hip hop" fans, some only like rap from a specific period of time, some like virtually anything, etc. I agree the unifying thing for most of these people is that they didn't grow up with r&b and don't care for it.

If you listen to a lot of white musical journalists/fans/etc talk about James Brown you quickly realize they don't appreciate him. These are people who want to tell you all about how The Beatles changed everything about music...but will turn around and say "well James Brown had a couple good records but most of his stuff is repetitive and never evolved." Same types who will tell you MJ made generic pop, or that Prince made generic love songs. They don't respect black talent or music. These are the dudes who watched that Prince "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" video and were stunned to learn that yes, Prince is one of the greatest guitarists of all time. They know nothing about black music because deep down they're just waiting for a white artist to "do it better" (Eminem, Adele, etc).

No disrespect to white fans who appreciate black music for real, tho. I just don't think Rosenberg is one of them. "Real hip hop" is just the dikk measuring contest he decided to specialize in because it's the only one he can win. And one thing I'd note about Rosenberg...I don't get the impression he listens to much non-rap music in general. He's just a sperg who got obsessed with one thing and never let go. And the only reason he has a decent vinyl collection is because he wanted to DJ.

hip hop & r&b is an actual culture. what we've been witnessing is an exposal into the lack of depth white fans of hip hop are allowed to get away with, while simultaneously holding a high position at one of the cornerstones of urban radio. it's white privilege cloaked in a wu tang t-shirt. how the hell can someone not know 80% of the music that was responsible for hip hop to even have any footing in the mainstream? what babyface, teddy Riley, jimmy jam and terry lewis did in the 80's and early 90's gave black music the ability to even add hip hop as a legitimate frontrunner for African American music. The fact that you can head an entire radio station and be completely devoid of this information is ludicrous....but for white people it's just another opportunity to delve into something "unique" and "edgy" to separate themselves from other whites in order to legitimize themselves. people like Rosenberg are literally cloaking themselves in culture they have no ties to for their own entertainment and profit.

did you see how smug he was? how he talked out of pocket the whole stream with nothing to contribute...like it was just something he had to get through. Meanwhile the rest of black America tuned in to MEMORIES. it was pure magic and gratitude that we even got to witness something like that.
you'll find this with many white people in different areas of hip hop who just came into a particular artist or popular wave at whatever time and latched on to that. white people steal cultures....the only thing they can do is colonize/corporatize or indoctrinate the information and appoint themselves into positions that their millennia of colonization and corporatization affords them.

cacs in hip hop are nothing more than modern day musical Christopher Columbus'

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
hip hop & r&b is an actual culture. what we've been witnessing is an exposal into the lack of depth white fans of hip hop are allowed to get away with, while simultaneously holding a high position at one of the cornerstones of urban radio. it's white privilege cloaked in a wu tang t-shirt. how the hell can someone not know 80% of the music that was responsible for hip hop to even have any footing in the mainstream? what babyface, teddy Riley, jimmy jam and terry lewis did in the 80's and early 90's gave black music the ability to even add hip hop as a legitimate frontrunner for African American music. The fact that you can head an entire radio station and be completely devoid of this information is ludicrous....but for white people it's just another opportunity to delve into something "unique" and "edgy" to separate themselves from other whites in order to legitimize themselves. people like Rosenberg are literally cloaking themselves in culture they have no ties to for their own entertainment and profit.

did you see how smug he was? how he talked out of pocket the whole stream with nothing to contribute...like it was just something he had to get through. Meanwhile the rest of black America tuned in to MEMORIES. it was pure magic and gratitude that we even got to witness something like that.
you'll find this with many white people in different areas of hip hop who just came into a particular artist or popular wave at whatever time and latched on to that. white people steal cultures....the only thing they can do is colonize/corporatize or indoctrinate the information and appoint themselves into positions that their millennia of colonization and corporatization affords them.

Having worked in the industry, I can say there are plenty of white people in positions of power who understand the music and love it. And respect the genre. But there are many more who don't know shyt about it, don't really respect it, and are just there to do their job (make money). Radio wise I'm not even sure what Rosenberg offers at this point. If Flex was fired from Hot 97 or laid off...it would matter. Even if Flex is a clown today and not nearly as meaningful as he once was...it would still matter. If Rosenberg was fired, does it matter?

You know who was jamming out to Teddy Riley and Babyfire? Pete Rock, who is as "real hip hop" as you can get. Premo too. If those dudes fukk with that shyt and respect it, how the hell does a backpack sperg from Maryland have the balls to hate on it and claim it's pop shyt? He needs to go...and there would be no consequences lol!

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State

fam, you stay with straight QUOTES

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
Having worked in the industry, I can say there are plenty of white people in positions of power who understand the music and love it. And respect the genre. But there are many more who don't know shyt about it, don't really respect it, and are just there to do their job (make money). Radio wise I'm not even sure what Rosenberg offers at this point. If Flex was fired from Hot 97 or laid off...it would matter. Even if Flex is a clown today and not nearly as meaningful as he once was...it would still matter. If Rosenberg was fired, does it matter?

You know who was jamming out to Teddy Riley and Babyfire? Pete Rock, who is as "real hip hop" as you can get. Premo too. If those dudes fukk with that shyt and respect it, how the hell does a backpack sperg from Maryland have the balls to hate on it and claim it's pop shyt? He needs to go...and there would be no consequences lol!
This is about Peter Rosenberg, not anyone else.

So yes, I think its BEEN past due for Rosenberg to get tossed out on his ass.

Not to mention, Cipha Sounds got fired and they kept this fukking dope around.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State

Again, if Hot 97 really needs a white guy, just hire Rory from the Joe Budden podcast. Not to mention, he knew EVERY song being played (despite being a full decade younger) and appreciates what black music actually is and represents.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
It's not a gauge of general blackness. If you are black you are black. But It's a gauge of whether you are a part of culture of hip hop and grew up in it and are a part of traditional black culture. There are plenty of black people who dont participate in traditional black culture or didnt grow up in it. But appreciating R&b and even black gospel is kind of just a part of growing up on a traditional black household.
Even the black alternative kids I knew still was raised on this shyt.

its really no excuse.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
i think he should be familiar only b/c he works as a mainstream radio station dj. but seems like the notion here is being a rnb fan is some sort of gauge of blackness. being a rap fan definitely doesnt mean an ur rnb fan. i see alot rnb threads here in the booth get no action.
He's 41 and worked in rap radio since he was in college.

The fukk was he listening to?

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Again, if Hot 97 really needs a white guy, just hire Rory from the Joe Budden podcast. Not to mention, he knew EVERY song being played (despite being a full decade younger) and appreciates what black music actually is and represents.

I agree even though I think Rory is a bum. But we both know Rosenberg not going anywhere. The fact that he survived furloughs/lay offs during this shows me he's never getting thrown off the boat.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

This is true, but even on that note there are those of us who don't really listen to R&B and a lot more that don't really like Gospel period.

Nigerianwonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
hip hop & r&b is an actual culture. what we've been witnessing is an exposal into the lack of depth white fans of hip hop are allowed to get away with, while simultaneously holding a high position at one of the cornerstones of urban radio. it's white privilege cloaked in a wu tang t-shirt. how the hell can someone not know 80% of the music that was responsible for hip hop to even have any footing in the mainstream?

That clown ronsenburg didnt even know the Bobby brown records outside of every little step and the ghostbusters theme on our own. How do not know Rock wit cha? That was a huge record. You can tell he just read the cliff notes on Bobby and babyface. He should be quiet listening and learning. Instead he feels entitled to dictate and give opinions on music he never even listened too. If he really had respect for the culture he would admit he is out of depth on the subject and refrain from giving an opinion.

Magnum P.I.M.P.

Tumultuous Splendor
Daps
Reppin
Orca's c*nt
He’s a fukkin’ clown, but not because he doesn’t like or appreciate r&b. People like what they like. Nobody can justifiably hate on that.