Hot 97's Peter Rosenberg gets exposed AGAIN for not knowing the Teddy Riley and Babyface songs

Carlton Banks

Upper Class
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Gen Z especially bytches listen to all the New RNB... who does this nikka think Summer Walker fanbase is lmao??

Well I said current R&B in my original post. People only started listening to Summer Walker after her last album and cuz of the Drake feature. I was up on her since CPR. CPR isn't a record that most gen Z would appreciate because it's too slow and there's no 808s/hihats/trap on it.

The real problem with a lot of R&B artists today is they don't pump out enough music. Most of these artist will either only have ONE album or drop one album every 3-4 years and disappear. Ella Mai been m.i.a. since her last project .. Jhene just dropped an album after 4 years. H.E.R. finally dropped something last year. Bryson been m.i.a. and only does features now. SZA been quiet as far as her own projects go, and other artists drop music but don't catch enough steam like Sinead, SYD, or Jorja Smith...etc.

I'm a big fan of The Weeknd, Sabrina Claudio, Alina Baraz, Bryson, H.E.R., Jorja Smith, etc and they hardly drop enough music (minus Weeknd) because the demand just isn't there like it was a decade or two ago. Check the streams/followers then compare it to these trap rappers and you'll see for yourself. These women/girls/gen Z/some millenials, etc aren't as into R&B unless it's "trappish." They might like a song or two, but they not "into" it... Meaning the genre as a whole. They love that Cardi/Meg The Stallion thot rap or just general trap shyt. Guys like Tory and Ty Dolla are popular cuz they add trap with their music cuz trap is all majority of mfs wanna listen to today. Gen Z can't appreciate an Anderson Pak, Solange or Snoh Allegra

Last edited:

Carlton Banks

Upper Class
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Trust me, once they get older their ears are gonna change

It was the same with my generation, we was hip hop heads, then we got older, and started loving the shyt our parents played, and what girls was loving at the time

This is me. Since 25 I been like this where rap music just sound like noise to me now. R&B is a vibe and mood.

Last edited:

smahzay

Rookie
Daps
Need to ban that ignorant ass cracker and those that feel and act like him. fukk em

A Tribe Called Quest ™

Make Em Say Ughh ... Silk da Shocker
Daps
Reppin
Chiraq
Well I said current R&B in my original post. People only started listening to Summer Walker after her last album and cuz of the Drake feature. I was up on her since CPR. CPR isn't a record that most gen Z would appreciate because it's too slow and there's no 808s/hihats/trap on it.

The real problem with a lot of R&B artists today is they don't pump out enough music. Most of these artist will either only have ONE album or drop one album every 3-4 years and disappear. Ella Mai been m.i.a. since her last project .. Jhene just dropped an album after 4 years. H.E.R. finally dropped something last year. Bryson been m.i.a. and only does features now. SZA been quiet as far as her own projects go, and other artists drop music but don't catch enough steam like Sinead, SYD, or Jorja Smith...etc.

I'm a big fan of The Weeknd, Sabrina Claudio, Alina Baraz, Bryson, H.E.R., Jorja Smith, etc and they hardly drop enough music (minus Weeknd) because the demand just isn't there like it was a decade or two ago. Check the streams/followers then compare it to these trap rappers and you'll see for yourself. These women/girls/gen Z/some millenials, etc aren't as into R&B. They might like a song or two, but they not "into" it... Meaning the genre as a whole. They love that Cardi/Meg The Stallion thot rap or just general trap shyt. Guys like Tory and Ty Dolla are popular cuz they add trap with their music cuz trap is all majority of mfs wanna listen to today.
Jhene dropped an album in 17-18??? 4 years???:mjlol: .... Outside of Cardi who sells with that thot rap???:ohhh: Megan did like 40k first week :mjcry::mjlol: ... RNB artist have never been the type of nikkas to drop an album every 2 years like rappers... :russ:..... These nikkas have songwriters and shyt, constructing an album takes them 3-4 years or else it's usually rushed

Carlton Banks

Upper Class
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Jhene dropped an album in 17-18??? 4 years???:mjlol: .... Outside of Cardi who sells with that thot rap???:ohhh: Megan did like 40k first week :mjcry::mjlol: ... RNB artist have never been the type of nikkas to drop an album every 2 years like rappers... :russ:..... These nikkas have songwriters and shyt, constructing an album takes them 3-4 years or else it's usually rushed

Ok so I was off by a year :comeon: ... But you catch my drift.

All you wanna do is clown instead of have a decent discussion...

*Flips phone horizontal*

Of course you're in the red :snoop:
I don't debate with nikkas deep in the red. Peace breh.

Daps
No one can know everything though. He is not big on Rnb like that...so what lol.
Dudes just wanna jump on a cac when they get a chance

Im usually all for that but not in this case.

He admitted he grew up in the burbs and his parents didnt listen to this in the house.

Also, if u know Peter, he's a giant wrestling fan and playing a subtle "heel" role on the panel.

He worked all the r&b fans into a frenzy :heh:

Last edited:

Jblaze204

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Uptown NY

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
True. I though he was more soul and funk. In my mind R&B was more what Mary J Blige does. And in modern times what Beyonce does. I just see Curtis different. But if he is Rhythm and Blues he is. Admittedly I don't know thistory of R&B.

this quick video below is pretty accurate on the history

mary j is "hiphop soul" a sub sound of R&B

which comes out of New jack Swing (hiphop + pre-hiphop R&B) pioneered by Teddy Riley

Last edited:

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Lotta funny/interesting views in the thread...

Rosenberg was like a deer in headlights about a good half of this shyt, it was hilarious... awful, but hilarious. He shoulda sat this thing out, he just made himself look lost and even more uncool than usual. "This wasn't RZA/Premo for me"... of course it wasn't, why even expect it to be... cornball.

Some of y'all are givin' these new young nikkas too much credit... they might know their parents' music but they are def. not into it these days. Most of them are just as lost as Rosenberg about that era of R&B, sadly. Especially in this era where not knowing about shyt is celebrated... there's a lotta 25-year-olds who barely know about classic hip-hop, let alone R&B. They might come around to it as they get older, them MFs trappin' and poppin' pills right now.

It's definitely true that white "I'm so hip-hop" dudes absolutely know little to nothing about R&B... they can tell you about Canibus but they don't know shyt about Teddy Riley except maybe 'No Diggity' :russ: I wouldn't even hold a convo about R&B with them type dudes.

Far as the battle:

I can't lie, Face lost me with some of them pop-leaning slow jams during the later rounds. He had a gang of shyt he coulda hit Ted with, but them dry joints were kinda low-energy for me. I kinda feel like Ebro, the vanilla R&B songs ain't my bag, never been. Same with "White Mike" :lolbron:

Ted made some ehhhh moves a couple times too, but I got him in this battle overall. I don't know how he played three joints off Dangerous and none of em were 'Remember the Time'... also he def. shoulda busted out My Prerogative to clutch a round.

Good battle overall tho... so many songs I grew up to. I even had a lil' "strictly hip-hop" phase in '93-'94 where I wasn't really followin' R&B, but I appreciated that stuff a few years later too. Lotta joints that made R&B great in those days, makes me miss it for real. R&B is trash nowadays by comparison, brehs. :sadcam:

Crumple

All Star
Daps
this quick video below is pretty accurate on the history

mary j is "hiphop soul" a sub sound of R&B

which comes out of New jack Swing (hiphop + pre-hiphop R&B) pioneered by Teddy Riley

You're the man Delta! I'm going to favorite all of these and check them out.

I read comments about the fun and musicianship behind Teddy Riley's work. I respect that. There was a point I stopped liking New Jack Swing.

If Bobby Brown's ain't nobody humping around and Take control is New Jack Swing - that's the style I like. I liked him as an artist back then

Goon for hire

All Star
Daps

I'm a big fan of The Weeknd, Sabrina Claudio, Alina Baraz, Bryson, H.E.R., Jorja Smith, etc and they hardly drop enough music (minus Weeknd) because the demand just isn't there like it was a decade or two ago. Check the streams/followers then compare it to these trap rappers and you'll see for yourself. These women/girls/gen Z/some millenials, etc aren't as into R&B unless it's "trappish." They might like a song or two, but they not "into" it... Meaning the genre as a whole. They love that Cardi/Meg The Stallion thot rap or just general trap shyt. Guys like Tory and Ty Dolla are popular cuz they add trap with their music cuz trap is all majority of mfs wanna listen to today. Gen Z can't appreciate an Anderson Pak, Solange or Snoh Allegra
I see where you’re coming from from that “alternative r&b” and “trap r&b” is still r&b music. A lotta people my age fukk with that. Not to mention The Weeknd, frank ocean, Chris brown, Tory Lanez..all make that kind of music and are huge. Even smaller dudes like paak(who doesn’t do bad for himself, he may not have the sales but dude eats), Daniel caeser, Brent faiyaz, dvsn, lucky daye, and sir all have good followings and eat. Not to mention all the female r&b artist holding it down

Carlton Banks

Upper Class
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Some of y'all are givin' these new young nikkas too much credit... they might know their parents' music but they are def. not into it these days. Most of them are just as lost as Rosenberg about that era of R&B, sadly. Especially in this era where not knowing about shyt is celebrated... there's a lotta 25-year-olds who barely know about classic hip-hop, let alone R&B. They might come around to it as they get older, them MFs trappin' and poppin' pills right now.

Facts.

I don't get why it's even an argument. You got mfs that didn't even know about NWA like that until Straight Outta Compton the movie dropped 5 years ago :heh:

A lot of em only know R Kelly cuz of Surviving R Kelly lol

But they expect them to know decades of R&B music from before they were even born? :dahell:

Gen Z are mostly listening to whoever is current. Its evident in the sales/streams.

Carlton Banks

Upper Class
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
These are r&b hits from like the last five years and I could post even more. Gen z still fukks with r&b it’s just a different type

I get it but I'm saying it's not at the same level as with rap. I'm going off numbers and real life. R&B attracts more older souls. I'll just leave it at that.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
Rosenberg is a backpacker, why would you assume that HE of all people would know anything about Teddy Riley or Babyface. That's before he decided that he liked Hip-Hop in the mid 00's.
black backpackers know R&B though.

They just liked it separate.

Dilla and Premier and all the other boom bap heads still listened to R&B.

Some of yall have no idea what you're talking about.