Horizon Zero Dawn | PS4/PC | Out Now

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
haven’t played this in a long ass time to the point that I’d probably be better off just starting from the beginning...downloaded the game/save file yesterday...still debating what to play when I complete cyberpunk

HiiiPower

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Game is decent.

Graphics are good, voice acting is good, the central plot is good. The overall production value and presentation are top notch

Game suffer from lousy melee combat, and human combat. It’s fun fighting the dinosaurs. It almost feels like the humans were just thrown in to add variety, you can’t block or parry their moves or anything.

The actual characters are kind of lame also. I honestly didn’t like any of them, aloy is typical strong female archetype, no flaws or nuanced personality traits at all. She’s a hero and thats her mission thats it. She doesn’t grow or change throughout the journey at all she just learns more stuff about the world.

Traversal is also kind of bland, you can ride a mount and you can auto climb a cliff if it has markers.

I’m hoping for part 2 they really expand upon all those things

this is my main criticism of the game

Combat, Graphics, Enemies, World, Concept..all great

But Aloy and these side characters were mostly all bland af, this is why I wouldn’t put it in the same tier as the other greats of this gen

it’s still at least an 8/10 tho

Last edited:

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
Yeah the characters that really stand out.. are pretty much the two who ain't really in the story like that

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY

But Aloy and these side characters were mostly all bland af, this is why I wouldn’t put it in the same tier as the other greats of this gen

I would have liked if Aloy started of bitter and very untrusting of the people in the village and outside world. Considering the idea that she’s lived in isolation with just one other person her entire life due to being exiled...

But she starts off right off the wanting to help everyone, just because and I honestly didn’t see any evidence of some honor code being instilled in her.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town

Early on it felt like they were gonna do a slow-build romance with Aloy and the young breh from the tribe and possibly use him as the conduit to challenge her on religion/worship/tribalism/etc as she discovered more of the truth... but he quickly became just another generic npc with no value.

Hell, before that i thought they were about to build a nice lil supporting cast with the tribe people she met very early on, specifically her peers prior to the competition... but similar to the breh, that clearly wasn't the direction they were going for lol.

So yea, i thought the game was great but for me it didn't have that Last of Us, GoW, or FF7 Remake vibe where, regardless of the main storyline, you got equally as invested in how the protagonist grew with some well-written supporting characters.

HiiiPower

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Characters don't stand out? :hhh:

Like Sylenz ain't laying in the cut

Like Ted Faro ain't a true piece of shyt

Like Elisabet fukking Sobeck ain't the true hero of the game

No they don’t, I played through this twice to get the plat, and I still had to google each one of these names to remind myself who they were...

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
No they don’t, I played through this twice to get the plat, and I still had to google each one of these names to remind myself who they were...

:comeon: That sounds like bs, breh. How? I'm not the most alert gamer but I knew those names just off how much they're repeated throughout the story and seen in the collectibles off one playthrough.

At least Ted Faro should've stuck for fukkin' over humanity... Twice.

Last edited:

HiiiPower

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:comeon: That sounds like bs, breh. How? I'm not the most alert gamer but I knew those names just off how much their repeated throughout the story and seen the collectibles off one playthrough.

At least Ted Faro should've stuck for fukkin' over humanity... Twice.

no bullshyt, honestly breh I just didn’t think they were that interesting, great game overall but I wasn’t feeling a lot of the supporting characters

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I was about to make a joke about wild redheads and where their personalities lie but then realized aloy’s age ain’t really known

:francis:

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
I was about to make a joke about wild redheads and where their personalities lie but then realized aloy’s age ain’t really known

:francis:

She's 18 to 19 years old. Confirmed in a convo she has with High Matriarch Teersa.