Honest Conversations About “BLACK JOBS”: Are We Competing with Immigrants for Jobs in 2024?

Consigliere

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I work in a construction related field. And I’m not competing with immigrants for a job. However… people are correct to be worried about American labor and Black American labor in particular.

Most of the jobsite that I’m on is Hispanic labor. The other majority are hillbillies. Then immigrants from Afghanistan, Pakistan, Nigeria, China. All management is white or immigrant except for me. And that’s only because I’m a subcontractor.

So yes, we are competing with immigrants. Where this falls apart is that America was built on immigrants and every generation has gone through this. We need more people here to grow the pot. We’ll all become richer in aggregate for having them here as history has shown.

CoryMack

Superstar
Daps
Lots of small black owned businesses routinely get underbid by companies using illegal labor. They can hire twice as many people for less money. Because they aren't paying a decent wages.
not only will they work for less, but alotta those jobs are traditionally union jobs. pensions, benefits, etc.

illegal labor working on a multi-year plan to gain citizenship isn't going to push for those kinds of things.

Voice of Reason

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
You know I rock with you OP but there's too much emphasis on jobs. We need to staking our place in the global economy.

Whoever else is thinking like OP, just understand: many of these people are coming with connections back home. You see a job, they see a ladder to job CREATION-- next thing we know, the discussion is how they won't HIRE us... but the convo started as JOBS :dahell:

Meaning less babble.

"connections" are not going to save Black people in a global capitalistic system.

Buddy

Keep my name out of it
Bushed
Daps
Meaning less babble.

"connections" are not going to save Black people in a global capitalistic system.
How many opportunities have you earned by actually talking and tryna build.

Telling @JohnnyElbow326 that the Tootsie Roll isn't from Ecuador doesn't count

TripleAgent

FBA. ZayK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
The Republicans want them here for cheap labor!

The Dems and GOP both want them here! This little back and forth is political theatre for the ignorant.

What I’m saying is FUKK ALL THAT- why aren’t more of us moving into better fields, like the ones I listed, so “politicians” like Trump can’t even use that as a talking point?!

Like I mentioned earlier, if a bunch of young men in their late teens/twenties got into HVAC programs or trucking RIGHT NOW we would see/feel the effect in less than one generation. Black male median income would increase from just those two career choices. And if those young men got married ”Black household median income ($52,000)” would jump significantly and be much closer to the “American household median income ($72,000)”.
You are GREATLY oversimplifying. I don't know if it's ignorance, or cognitive dissonance to get off an agenda, but I know people who tried to do both and other trades and it's not that simple. You have unions, apprenticeships, and all sorts of other gatekeeping where racism heavily comes into play. Cacs just not fukking with you, training or not. Illegals worm their way in working cheap, but once they get a foothold, they hire their own people. Black people are frozen out of a lot of these things.

Also, lookee here. Looks like the government has known how badly illegal immigration hurts Black people, but Massa Biden who "has your back" still wants to do it. Maybe when he said we have to work with Latinos, maybe he meant "work FOR Latinos" :upsetfavre:

The report:

Last edited:

Dzali OG

Dz Ali OG...Pay me like you owe me!
Daps
Reppin
Duval Florida
America is a country that welcomes immigration. May as well stop complaining and figure how to get bread how the immigrants do. Because immigration isn't going anywhere. America gets too many advantages from allowing immigration.

Pull Up the Roots

I have a good time when I go out of my mind..
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
not only will they work for less, but alotta those jobs are traditionally union jobs. pensions, benefits, etc.

illegal labor working on a multi-year plan to gain citizenship isn't going to push for those kinds of things.
You don't address this by empowering Republicans who support right-to-work laws and are anti-union.

CodeKansas

Superstar
Daps
Immigrants, Hispanics especially, have pushed black folks out of a lot of trade work, due to their coming here and working for less.

The work they do also reflects it.

Our county just paid a bunch of Hispanics (lowest bidder, basically) to renovate our restrooms. They were given at least three months to finish the job, but they wrapped it up in two. As soon as they were done, problems started to arise due to how many corners they cut.

When my bathroom flooded in my home, they came and re-did the hardwood flooring with cheaper material. Some of the areas click when you step on them like there's a secret door behind the fireplace or some shyt.

And then there's the fukking fakkit ass gatekeeping Indians in the IT sector.

We absolutely are competing with these pieces of shyt for good jobs in this country.

Anybody who says they just do the jobs we don't want is a fukking fakkit ass shill.

Last edited:

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Immigrants, Hispanics especially, have pushed black folks out of a lot of trade work, due to their coming here and working for less.

The work they do also reflects it.

Our county just paid a bunch of Hispanics (lowest bidder, basically) to renovate our restrooms. They were given at least three months to finish the job, but they wrapped it up in two. As soon as they were done, problems started to arise due to how many corners they cut.

When my bathroom flooded in my home, they came and re-did the hardwood flooring with cheaper material. Some of the areas click when you steap on them like there's a secret door behind the fireplace or some shyt.

And then there's the fukking fakkit ass gatekeeping Indians in the IT sector.

We absolutely are competing with these pieces of shyt for good jobs in this country.

Anybody who says they just do the jobs we don't want is fukking fakkit ass shill.
Democrats completely switched to favoring immigrants over domestic labor. It used to be the reverse decades ago.