Hillary Clinton calls on Europe to curb migration to halt populists

Reece

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
What if I told you moderates and progressives didn’t want millions of illegal immigrants in their countries either :ohhh:

GodinDaFlesh

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Godverse
What if I told you moderates and progressives didn’t want millions of illegal immigrants in their countries either :ohhh:
Then start going after the employers that hire them. :yeshrug: People come to other countries for money and opportunties, not because they enjoy living with xenophobes. :russ:

chico25

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Show me where anyone in here said anything about sending refugees out of Europe.

Its not all or nothing.

Neither you nor Clinton said refugees should be sent out of Europe. Your argument seems to be that if Europe says they will stop taking in refugees then right wing populists will go away and lose support. It's been my experience that in history when a group starts getting what they want they start demanding more not less.

You seem to dislike immigration as a whole. You state that you are only against illegal immigration but you also oppose people seeking asylum which is a form of legal immigration and now you oppose refugees being allowed into countries, also legal. You claim your parents are immigrants but they're different because they came "the right way". This implies that anyone doing it differently than they did is doing it wrong so it's okay to look down on them. Interesting take, seems more like a, I got and fukk everyone else stance, but I could have you wrong.

You mentioned a few times in this thread that you were interested in the Democrats getting and keeping power. What, in your mind, is the end goal of them having that power? What would you like them to do with it that would be different than what Republicans are currently doing?

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
Neither you nor Clinton said refugees should be sent out of Europe. Your argument seems to be that if Europe says they will stop taking in refugees then right wing populists will go away and lose support. It's been my experience that in history when a group starts getting what they want they start demanding more not less.

You seem to dislike immigration as a whole. You state that you are only against illegal immigration but you also oppose people seeking asylum which is a form of legal immigration and now you oppose refugees being allowed into countries, also legal. You claim your parents are immigrants but they're different because they came "the right way". This implies that anyone doing it differently than they did is doing it wrong so it's okay to look down on them. Interesting take, seems more like a, I got and fukk everyone else stance, but I could have you wrong.

You mentioned a few times in this thread that you were interested in the Democrats getting and keeping power. What, in your mind, is the end goal of them having that power? What would you like them to do with it that would be different than what Republicans are currently doing?
Wow. You listened!

1. I don't dislike immigration as a whole. I support legal immigration. I'm even open to reform of LEGAL immigration because job categories and visa types have changed as well as certain terms for things like student visas. i've worked with PhD and grad students who had to leave after graduation because they couldn't secure work visas in time. That hurts the country.
  2. I'm not against asylum. I do think most latin american refugees have gamed the system over the last 40 years compared to other parts of the world with more valid claims in my eyes but thats a longer conversation.
  3. My parents did it the right way. They got green cards. They came legally. They paid their fees and took the test for citizenship. I remember helping them study for that test. Whats the point of letting illegals jump that line whle you have law-abiding, rule-following people who get skipped waiting for their time to become official?
  4. Democrats support more of my world view of a rational compassionate and realistic secular policy.

• Dap
Reactions: ill

GnauzBookOfRhymes

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
only problem i have with this is that her little stunt in libya helped precipitate a lot of this.

otherwise she's actually right. you can't just have tens of millions of people just coming into these countries like it's no big deal. no country in the world allows this. and it's a demonstrable fact that right wing nationalist parties have grown by seizing on this issue.

we as liberals/dems should work with immigrant communities to help legalize them and build coalitions etc, but it's just stupid to think that you shouldn't have any immigration laws, or that a nation is required/obligated to take in as many refugees as make it to their borders.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
only problem i have with this is that her little stunt in libya helped precipitate a lot of this.

otherwise she's actually right. you can't just have tens of millions of people just coming into these countries like it's no big deal. no country in the world allows this. and it's a demonstrable fact that right wing nationalist parties have grown by seizing on this issue.

we as liberals/dems should work with immigrant communities to help legalize them and build coalitions etc, but it's just stupid to think that you shouldn't have any immigration laws, or that a nation is required/obligated to take in as many refugees as make it to their borders.
THIS IS WHY NAFTA WAS DONE IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!!!

IF YOU STRENGTHEN THEIR ECONOMIES, FEWER OF THEM HAVE THE INCENTIVE TO MIGRATE!!!!!