Hidden Figures (Official Thread)

chico25

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
They do have a whole catalogue of them, in fact they had a biopic the same year as Hidden Figures about an intelligent black woman overcoming classism and racism, and a black man and his wife sacrificing higher pay to be a mentor and teacher to black youth.

Queen of Katwe.

This was a beautiful, funny, light, but complicated and nuanced film at the same time. Like it didn't just focus on the intelligence of the lead character, it focused on how her brilliance made the other characters happy, and proud, and insecure, and fearful, and reluctant to trust the notoriety that came with her being "different" from the rest of them. It was one of the most honest and human things I've seen all year.

Lupita was amazing in her performance of a nuanced, flawed, but genuinely wonderful mother of a prodigy, and should have gotten award buzz. It was a great film- and no one went to see it.

If I were to watch those two films back to back, I would see that both are PG movies, both are light hearted and funny, both are true stories with inspiring endings, both portray black people in positive lights (including black marriage), but Queen of Katwe just felt so much more like a better made film. The characters werent types, they were fully realized, 3 dimensional, brilliant in some ways but flawed in others. Even the lead character was humble at times but arrogant when she displayed her talent, but you understood why because of certain scenes in her past.

In Hidden Figures, all of the characters were just types, and could be transplanted from movies like The Help - the sassy one, the quiet one, the motherly one, the white person that means well, the white person that doesn't mean well. That lack of depth to me is what stops it from being great, not it being light, especially when I have a movie released in the same year to contrast it to.

I'm still hesitant to say anything negative about Hidden Figures because the audience loved the film when I went opening night while I sat in an empty theater for Queen of Katwe. These type of light "racism was fixed with a powerful speech" films with these type of fun, sassy, quippy characters connect with general audiences, of all races and age types. They can laugh on cue, cry on cue, clap on cue, and leave the theater feeling good. For that I see why it works and hope that it continues to make people laugh and cry and feel good. But it was missing critical elements for me to personally see it as a step above any of the other similarly themed films, give or take a few scenes of performance from the amazing lead actresses.

It's a damn shame more people didn't go see Queen of Katwe. I liked the fact that even though the movie showed the main character was clearly a prodigy it never downplays the intelligence of the other kids from the center to make her shine more and took the time at the end to let you know they all went on to succeed in life.

I liked hidden figures but it's really another look at how white people have ignored our contributions to building this country and everything that made it "great" for centuries. The fact that someone like me who grew up interested in science and space travel never heard of these women until now is a fukked up.

lamont614

Superstar
Daps
I remember on fiya starter they said someone called it hidden fences
In Houston on TV they called it Hidden Struggles :dahell:
Funny I wanted to see this movie but my wife didn't, so we watched sing instead :mjlol: her words " I already know black women are awesome i don't need another film to show that"

#gmb :what:

You Win Perfect

bow down
Daps
But I thought the moon landing was a hoax? :troll:

Give it a C- , tho.

Thought it was light & hokey.

The supposed to be "dramatic parts" fell flat.

I guess I'm just over these "We shall overcome" flicks

:ehh:
what? man stfu. this movie revealed an important part of black history that a lot of folks were unaware of. you probably downloaded it anyway.

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
C3YC_qTW8AED3bl.jpg

pickles

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
#Byrdgang
Great movie. Great story. Great acting.

Of course it was lifetime moviesque at times, but that is fine.

I love space movies and anything related to them.

All three women really are #blackexcellence

Y'all need to read up on their biographies.