Hidden Figures (Official Thread)

mr x

Superstar
Daps
After dope and hidden figures...maybe it's time I forgive Pharrell for sitting on his voltron project for so long(to the point he's no longer attached it seems)

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
Amazing and beautiful film. Taraji got robbed of acting nominations, she killed this. Octavia and Janelle did good as well. Yes they made Kevin Costner the "White Savoir" (Kevin loves saving Black Women with his "Bodyguard" a$$, lol) With that said, Kevin is a Legend so of course he delivered in the performance. This movie is exactly why we have to have "Black History Month" and have a specific period to honor Black Americans. These racist White Supremacist have done everything to erase Blacks historic contributes to this country. There are many "Hidden Figures" and "Hidden Colors" stories out there of Blacks doing unbelievable and historic things including revolutionary inventions that are systematic erased or taking out of history books. Yes it was Black Women that were the integral piece of the space program and STEM Field (Funny how now they aren't many Blacks in Stem, might of been different if they knew this story).

Millions young black kids including myself were robbed of this history for decades. I'm very happy their story was finally told. Even though the Film wasn't written or Directed by a Black person. The book was written by a black woman and it was still produced by Pharell who also did the score was well. Also I personally don't think this film sugarcoated anything so even though it was non black filmmakers, they made sure to show the true racism. I hated Kristen Dunst Character so that means she did a great job acting the part of their racist boss. It also showed the power dynamic that White Woman still view themselves higher on the totem-pole than Black Women. It was nice little commentary about White Feminism. It showed the clear racism Black people experience working in White America. We still go through this in corporate America dealing with the same things these ladies went through even today (Less likely to get raises or promoted. Last hired, first fired).

But the movie was well acted, directed and written. It showed the Black Family power dynamic as well. I heard the bathroom storyline didn't happen but it doesn't matter because going in you have to know they will do the White Savior complex. I went over this in the "Birth of a Nation" Thread.. It still was a very a powerful scene and moment and needed to shown. It was sickening and ridiculous that Blacks had to use different bathrooms and water fountains. Couldn't read or get certain books from the library. My Parents were alive during that time so I'm not that far removed. "Hidden Figures" and "Fences" were both amazing films that showed how resilient we are as Black Folks to survive all the terrorism, bigotry, racism and demonic hate we've received in this country. Salute to these women, I'm glad their story is finally recognized and told. Again we need to shove Black History Month down EVERYONE THROAT because if we leave it up to White America, our whole History will be erased just like they did to our African Linage during Slavery by separating the families. This wouldn't be the same country without Black People's contributions, PERIOD.

hidden-figures-unveils-the-unsung-colored-heroine-at-nasa.jpg

BLACK EXCELLENCE

:salute:

Last edited:

pickles

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
#Byrdgang
:coffee: Y'all thoughts on this?:

Well I heard about the whole bathroom scene on a cac podcast and they were all like just like the transsexual bathroom fears of today (:comeon:) I tried to reserve judgement until I saw the movie. So now, I have seen the movie, and I found it hard to believe that actually happened. Number one reason being, no cac boss would allow someone to be away from their desk for 40+ minutes a day everyday without knowing where they were. So yes liberal cacs are really equating that with the transsexual struggle.

Example:
Review: 'Hidden Figures' Will Teach Your Parents What Privilege Means

The allegory of bathroom access provides a clear parallel to trans people’s current fight for very basic rights to relieve themselves without making a daily drama over it.

:francis:

White savior movies need to be a genre (:russ:) because there are so many of them. Why does the protagonist have to be the leading white man though? :jbhmm:

When I saw that guy from Big Bang theory in this, I honestly thought they were going to make him her fictious gay friend who would sympathize with the "struggle".

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
I didnt see Kevin Costner as being a white savior.

I saw him as being a painfully ignorant white man. He still kicked her out of Mission Control.

I have a higher bar for white saviors tho. Dr. King Schultz is a white savior to me (Django).

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I didnt see Kevin Costner as being a white savior.

I saw him as being a painfully ignorant white man. He still kicked her out of Mission Control.

I have a higher bar for white saviors tho. Dr. King Schultz is a white savior to me (Django).

Which is why i shrugged at it. He wasn't a savior as much as he was just a guy trying to get the job done and he didn't give a shyt what color you were or gender. Are you going to get us to space? Yes? okay then let's work. He didn't give any speeches about how we should all be equal or bring her up from poverty or even say she should get paid the same as the white women. He just respected her talent and drive and wanted someone to get the job done

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
Which is why i shrugged at it. He wasn't a savior as much as he was just a guy trying to get the job done and he didn't give a shyt what color you were or gender. Are you going to get us to space? Yes? okay then let's work. He didn't give any speeches about how we should all be equal or bring her up from poverty or even say she should get paid the same as the white women. He just respected her talent and drive and wanted someone to get the job done
By what savior, I think they are saying he's the white person that white audience members could identify with and feel more comfortable while they eat their popcorn and say "that's what I would do if I was there." Most of these movies seemingly always have to have that one white person and he served it.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
By what savior, I think they are saying he's the white person that white audience members could identify with and feel more comfortable while they eat their popcorn and say "that's what I would do if I was there." Most of these movies seemingly always have to have that one white person and he served it.

Word. I feel that. In contrast as the black person viewing it I don't give a damn who's lens they see it through even though that's a generalized statement for me and them

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
he had no idea why she was never at her desk.

He was okay with the latent segregation in the movie.

He also let her leave after her time was up and did not offer her a job.

If white people saw that character and thought, "well that guy is a stand up person," then white people are really sick and lost. (so maybe they do see him as the upstanding person. idk or care, fukk them)

John Glenn was the most positive white person in that film.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
he had no idea why she was never at her desk.

He was okay with the latent segregation in the movie.

He also let her leave after her time was up and did not offer her a job.

If white people saw that character and thought, "well that guy is a stand up person," then white people are really sick and lost. (so maybe they do see him as the upstanding person. idk or care, fukk them)

John Glenn was the most positive white person in that film.

Yeah if you wanted to give the savior rep to anyone lol it's be Glenn

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
:coffee: Y'all thoughts on this?:

I understand the reasons why.
The bathroom scene made Costner's character more layered and having Taraji's character have to watch the landing in the "colored workers" room would have denied the audience the emotional release of seeing her in the main room seeing her work come to fruition.
Its movie-making not history class. Some creative license will be taken.