Hidden Colors 3: The Rules of Racism (Official Thread)

Dr. Sebi Jr.

Trust Me
Daps
Reppin
Not Technically a "Doctor"
Complete disregard for facts, research, history, March 5, 2012

By
Hajnal's Secret Admirer in the Regenstein (Chicago, IL) - See all my reviews

This review is from: Hidden Colors: The Untold History Of People Of Aboriginal,Moor,and African Descent (DVD)

I was motivated to post this review as a response to all the five-star reviews and the incredibly negative reaction received by "Jim from Oaktown" for his spot on criticism of this "documentary" (which included a comment that could be, disturbing enough, perceived as a physical threat). I was given the DVD by my roommate, who was exuberant enough after an initial viewing that he wanted to watch it again and receive my opinion, as someone who has actually received training in the discipline of history.

The problem that Jim from Oaktown pointed out, a casual disregard of facts, certainly exists (the examples he pointed out were the attribution of the etymology of 'Africa' to Scipio's agnomen, and the claim of a conspiracy by the Vatican to distort The findings of Egyptology). If he had made it as far along the film as I, he would have noticed many more ridiculous claims, such as: the first samurai were black; Montezuma was actually Mansa Musa, a Malian emperor from a different century and continent; and that the Moors were responsible for the construction "of all the cathedrals in England." That last point was where the film finally tipped over into comedy--just before I began watching it I had in my hand an account of the construction of St. Paul's Cathedral by Christopher Wren.

Other than factual accuracies the film suffers from a crisis of identity. The "scholars" present the Moors as creators of the penultimate medieval African empire. They are considered black and Hidden Color's scholars attribute most of Europeans' achievements during this period as a result of emulation of this people.

The problem is that this ethnonym has always been an external one; at no time has an African people ever designated itself as Moor. So the cast, while decrying European-centered history, fall right into the Old World mindset of amalgamating ethnicities. They can't tell you the actual history of Africa because they don't know it, or at least don't care to tell it. At least since Braudel published his seminal work in 1949 we've considered North Africa more connected to the Mediterranean world than to sub-Saharan Africa. The people who conquered and colonized Egypt in the 7th century were Arabs. By the beginning of the early 8th century Berbers had conquered northwest Africa and proceeded to establish an Islamic state in Spain, which saw the immigration of, among other Levantine peoples, Syrians, Yemenis, and Jews. It was these peoples that early Europeans observers amalgamated into the term 'Moor.'

So a little bit of actual research has shown us that the numerous polities and people's that Hidden Colors anachronistically deemed Moor actually possessed a Levantine character. But can we still consider then somehow African? What is it to be an African? Are African and Black the same thing? Is there such a thing as an pre-modern 'African' history? Hidden Colors doesn't deal with these important issues of identity, because the cast simply doesn't know the history.

A final note: the cast makes several accusations against Western historiography, deeming it unreliable, racist, and part of some sort of ridiculous conspiracy--involving every academic, ever--to hide the "true" history of Africa from Black people as a means of preventing empowerment. This is silly. Ever since Edward Said published Orientalism in 1978, academics have made names for themselves for pouncing on what they perceive to be prejudiced or distorted views of non-European civilizations. Many of the professors populating our universities grew up during the tulmult of the sixties and inculcated some of those values--including anti-Westernism, and a distinct desire to trace out any vestiges of imperialism, cultural or otherwise. If there had ever existed some kind of secret plot to "hide" history from black people, it would have already been revealed by our last generation of actual historians.
Obvious LIES. Johnny Appleseed was BLACK. Knowledge is POWER.

Dusty Bake Activate

Fukk your corny debates
Daps
I sincerely hope you guys aren't considering this to be historically accurate.

A lot of the points raised are true and then whoen to an extreme. This is just too much.

Are there any actual historians in the second one? I'm not saying anyone who isn't a doctor or professor or even a professional can't be seen as credible, but if you're asking metaphysicans and school psychologists and 'macks' about world history, I'm gonna have to question the stuff.

We have a very real history that has been neglected and lost to a great degree but this isn't the way to take it back.
He has Frances Cress Welsing, who is a complete crackpot.

It's depressing that black youth are swallowing this stuff. I've also noticed that when you critique these charlatans like Nasheed, Umar Johnson, etc. often their fans ask who we should we be listening to instead of what is true. You never get a full picture of history, but it goes without saying you look to published work by actual real scholars that has passed peer review.

It seems some of these dudes are more interested in looking for a hero or leader to make them feel good instead of simply searching for knowledge. Sad state of affairs.

Marvel

Psalm 149:5-9
Daps
Reppin
House of Yasharahla
doesn't necessarily have to be a "slanted documentary"

any books in particular you'd recommend, I'm seriously trying to learn about Black people prior to slavery?

I don't mean to be a bother, nor am I asking for a list, even one book recommendation would be a great.

There are many whites that have made documentaries and books about black people :mjpls:

Dusty Bake Activate

Fukk your corny debates
Daps
olmec.jpg

IF that is not a negro, who is it? :lolbron:. A cac?
It's an Olmec statue.

Deluuxe

Deadly Jester
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
I didn;t even bother reading the non-sense he posted. Its the basically white folks who will try to discredit anything black and call it "afro centric". "Debunking Afrocentrism". Something as negro looking as the Olmecs is not african. Gimme a break. I bet the Egyptians were not black either right? :aicmon:

Marvel

Psalm 149:5-9
Daps
Reppin
House of Yasharahla

A lot of the points raised are true and then taken to an extreme. This is just too much.

Are there any actual historians in the second one? I'm not saying anyone who isn't a doctor or professor or even a professional can't be seen as credible, but if you're asking metaphysicans and school psychologists and 'macks' about world history, I'm gonna have to question the stuff.

We have a very real history that has been neglected and lost to a great degree but this isn't the way to take it back.

DId you ask those questions when white people do their documentaries? There are more educated people with doctorates in the Hidden Colors series than you will find in a lot of white made docs. Michael Moore is not a scholar. Morgan Spirlock is another one and they are both considered credible to everybody. Sean Penn has even added his own voice to docs. So get out if you don't like it :camby:

Deluuxe

Deadly Jester
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
The PDF ViktorVaughDoom posted title of his "debunking" of hidden colors was:

"CA Forum on Anthropology in Public: Robbing Native American Cultures: Van Sertima's Afrocentricity and the Olmecs"
That alone tells me who Mr. ViktorVaughn is. Definitely a CAC. I wonder who he thinks the "Native Americans" were back in those times? :heh:

Even a clearly negro looking statue like the Olmecs is not African. Don't come in the Hidden Colors thread posting your racist white rhetoric, the mentality that doesn't want to acknowledge anything as black or African. There is many websites for you, including one you might love... st0rmfr0nt.

Strapped

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
I feel feel sorry for y'all who have to watch this stupid pseudoscientific bullshyt to feel better about yourselves. It's a sad indictment on the stake of black intellectuals today that idiot charlatans like Tariq Nasheed and the dusted off corpse of Frances Cress Welsing are finding such a following among the youth today.
this just like eating a snack ,do you really need it ,no but it feels good ,not everyone is an intellectual ,philosophical or free thinker mayne

Handsback

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
DId you ask those questions when white people do their documentaries? There are more educated people with doctorates in the Hidden Colors series than you will find in a lot of white made docs. Michael Moore is not a scholar. Morgan Spirlock is another one and they are both considered credible to everybody. Sean Penn has even added his own voice to docs. So get out if you don't like it :camby:

I don't count Michael Moore or Morgan Spirlock as credible scholars. They make documentaries. They are entertaining but usually show a particular slant on the subject matter. I don't take them as the unbiased truth. The History Channel and the like don't show the unbiased truth either. They are also not trying to rewrite human history.

This is the deal, I found exactly 0 peer reviewed journal articles, or any journal articles for that matter, from the people featured in this video. Being unpopular in the academic world doesn't necessarily mean you are right or wrong, but if there isn't a single work between the five or six of them, the red flag is going up. What I'm not onboard with is the notion that there is a worldwide conspiracy among egyptologists, historians, archeologists, biologists, and all manner of other experts to keep these findings hidden.

It is important for us to go digging for our history. I think it's great that we're discussing it in this thread. I spoke up because I'm not sure what's worse, learning nothing or learning this. Pseudo science and false history aren't really any more beneficial to the community than not knowing anything at all.

Daps
Reppin
Catch me in the safari zone
i think this DOOM guy has a point when the talks about Tariq, hes not the most trustful person out there, he made some c00nish stuff back there :patrice:
it doesnt mean we cant watch the documentary and decide if its true or not, id not pay for it though:manny:

Deluuxe

Deadly Jester
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
I don't count Michael Moore or Morgan Spirlock as credible scholars. They make documentaries. They are entertaining but usually show a particular slant on the subject matter. I don't take them as the unbiased truth. The History Channel and the like don't show the unbiased truth either. They are also not trying to rewrite human history.

This is the deal, I found exactly 0 peer reviewed journal articles, or any journal articles for that matter, from the people featured in this video. Being unpopular in the academic world doesn't necessarily mean you are right or wrong, but if there isn't a single work between the five or six of them, the red flag is going up. What I'm not onboard with is the notion that there is a worldwide conspiracy among egyptologists, historians, archeologists, biologists, and all manner of other experts to keep these findings hidden.

It is important for us to go digging for our history. I think it's great that we're discussing it in this thread. I spoke up because I'm not sure what's worse, learning nothing or learning this. Pseudo science and false history aren't really any more beneficial to the community than not knowing anything at all.

I see, basically your looking for that white cosign.

Its alright negro, you can believe someone who looks like you for once without whites, ok :whoa:

That's if your even black...:patrice:

Tommy Knocks

retired
Daps
Reppin
iPaag
Man this is embarrassing, yall really take HC at face value? It's sensationalism.

An Olmec is not negro either. Have you seen Apocalypto? We're not the only people on the planet with big lips and big noses. :snoop:

I'm shocked because some of the posters in here, I regard as quite intelligent.

apocalypto3lg.jpg
\

Tommy Knocks

retired
Daps
Reppin
iPaag

A lot of the points raised are true and then taken to an extreme. This is just too much.

this.