Healthcare vs IT which career path is more reliable today?

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Why none of you never wanna be developers/programmers? Y'all out here letting these Indians straight rape the game.

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
Why none of you never wanna be developers/programmers? Y'all out here letting these Indians straight rape the game.

programming was a concept I was never able to grasp in college. hell, I had to take 3 programming classes total in college. C++ and 2 COBOL classes. I almost failed the 2nd COBOL class cuz it made no sense to me. I think I got a D. only class I ever got a D in. fukk it tho. I never wanted to be a programmer anyways.

Black Ball

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Mighty LBC
What is the actual description? Is it like accounting?

I need to process large data files, reconcile them, and make payments to contracted medical groups based on my analysis.

Requires alot of PC skills. Heavy Access & SQL Server stuff. Got to be able to build & maintain your own Modules, Macros, & Queries to run a ton on different processes. Alot ad hoc research is necessary.

There is a bit of accounting also, but that's secondary, repetitive and more common sense stuff.

AB Ziggy

Banned
Daps

But most of them Browns are in demand because they are being paid by greedy companies cheap money compared to the high financial demands of American programmers/engineers.

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
But most of them Browns are in demand because they are being paid by greedy companies cheap money compared to the high financial demands of American programmers/engineers.

Even with that, good programmers/developers are out here still getting cake heavy.

semtex

:)
Daps
fukk DAT. WE CAN CODE WITHOUT STINKIN UP THE ROOM. :busta:

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
IT is drying up somewhat, with cloud computing and virtual every, a lot of positions and vendors are and will continue dissappear. I've been in the IT since 1999, seen a lot of changes. They're finding ways to be more efficient and save money with less workers.

I've been in about 10 years and I've seen the opposite. All the companies who outsourced started bringing work back in because of the customer support and end user experience.

Regardless though, the end goal is to be the best in your field, that's the best job security there is.

daboywonder2002

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
minnesota
im trying to switch from it to healthcare. they both are good money. but in it you gotta keep getting certs to be a keeper. you can be replaced at anytime.

daboywonder2002

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
minnesota
I agree with @BlvdBrawler Healthcare informatics/info systems is a great combination of both and a lot of schools are offering majors in that field.

IT is definitely more broad, imo because you can transfer skills from one field to the next while healthcare skills will mainly be beneficial only in the healthcare field.

i wouldnt mind doing healthcare IT. working in the hospitals and what not. but what kind of jobs specifically would you be doing?

Last edited by a moderator:

daboywonder2002

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
minnesota
healthcare is a very broad field as well. but it's a lot of schooling. teacher, nursing, doctor, dentist, pharmacy, x ray technician, ultrasound tech, surgical tech, pharmaceutical sales, lab work. possibilities are endless.

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
I've been in about 10 years and I've seen the opposite. All the companies who outsourced started bringing work back in because of the customer support and end user experience.

Regardless though, the end goal is to be the best in your field, that's the best job security there is.

And right here, breh just probably gave the best advice in the thread.

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
So can someone with a computer science degree can migrate to healthcare, or needs experience showing some understanding of science like a minor?

I always advise to get a CS degree over the other computer related degrees. Its easier for somebody with that type of knowledge to move into other areas of IT than vice versa.

Also the best advice is to do what you love first.