HBO to air The Wire remastered in HD starting on December 26th

DTR90

Rookie
Daps
Everyone talks about S4 being the best season to ever be on television personally S3 is my favourite Wire season:

The shift of power from Barksdale to Stanfield
Avon vs. Stringer:wow:
The Hamsterdam fukkery
Carver going from being Herc's comic relief sidekick into one of the best characters on the show
Introduction of da gawdz Marlo, Chris, Bunny and Cutty:blessed:
Prez taking a wrong turn when going for a Chinese
“Who's your dawg, dawg?”:russ:
Aiden Gillen, the GOAT at playing slimy guys. I'm not too keen on the political storylines (even though they are very important), but I'm a huge Aiden fan.
“Huh?!” “Huh?!” “Huh?!” “Huh?!”:russ:

The most pivotal season in the show.

S4 was very slow paced until the last couple of episodes I thought. Still a great season but required a lot of patience from me. But with that said, Final Grades is my favourite episode of the whole show. It's like a prototype to Ozymandias on Breaking Bad. So many feels, and none of them good.

Also, I did enjoy S2, but it felt more like a spinoff of The Wire than an actual part of the story, even though it explains how the drugs come into Baltimore.

H. Selassie

Black Royalty
Daps
Season 3 is my personal favorite Season simply because of the Rise and Fall of the Barksdale Empire (my favorite set of characters) but I can understand arguments for Season 4 being the best. The storylines for the kids and the exposure of the horrendous American public school system was very compelling.

DTR90

Rookie
Daps
Season 3 is my personal favorite Season simply because of the Rise and Fall of the Barksdale Empire (my favorite set of characters) but I can understand arguments for Season 4 being the best. The storylines for the kids and the exposure of the horrendous American public school system was very compelling.

I think the reason why a lot of people think S4 is the best is because it's so dark. You see these innocent kids who, apart from Namond, all have their lives change for the worse. Then you also have Bubbles who hits rock bottom, and the death of Bodie, who went out like a soldier.

It hits home very hard, but entertainment-wise, I think S3 is the best.

3 > 4 = 1 > 2 > 5

Food Mane

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:dwillhuh: I never knew this, I aint read the article but what was the indicator on the show?

They have the same last name. They say Randy's last name a bunch of times and we see cheese's last name when he's on the bulletin board when they are trying to put together the hierarchy of Marlo's crew.

Food Mane

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'd say he's a version of both of them gone to the extreme. He's not a "perfect" combination because he didn't have the respect for the game that Avon did or the acumen for business that String had. He's like this reverse mirror of who they both could've been

Really good point about Marlo being Avon and String taken to an extreme. Simon even telegraphs it a bit with the name Marlo. Shakespeare's (born in Stratford upon Avon) main dramatic rival Marlowe is known for extremely ruthless protagonists. Shakespeare's tend to be tempered with reason a little more.

Avon tempered by String = a Shakesperian protagonist
Marlo = pure Marlovian protagonist

If you read Tamburlaine you'll see the blueprint for Marlo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamburlaine#Plot

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Really good point about Marlo being Avon and String taken to an extreme. Simon even telegraphs it a bit with the name Marlo. Shakespeare's (born in Stratford upon Avon) main dramatic rival Marlowe is known for extremely ruthless protagonists. Shakespeare's tend to be tempered with reason a little more.

:ohhh:

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps

And this is why The Film Room is the best forum on the site.

Fred.

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Just wandering, did HBO put all the episodes in HD on HBOGO?