HBO Considering -- WATCHMEN TV Series/ with Zack Snyder

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Well they're talking now. The tv show, if it happens, may not happen for another year or two or three so at the most, it'll be at least 7 years since the movie, and there's a lot of material to mine there just with the characters alone. They can take the characters Moore created, and do their own thing with them which they probably should, or even go into some of the before watchmen stuff which is pretty good too. And HBO storytelling will allow for some pretty interesting shyt in my mind

Plus, unlike the avengers, it didn't exactly set the world on fire box office wise, so there will probably be just enough people out there who don't remember the movie, or never saw it so being able to reintroduce them to that world using HBO's brand equity would be a good look
It is just insanely unoriginal. And the Director's Cut and Ultimate Cut exist after them there really isn't a lot left to cover.
And this being Zack Snyder negotiating this is weird. What he is not confident in what he made? Why a TV Show? You did a good job on this material fukkin' recently. Show some fukkin' confidence in your work.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
It is just insanely unoriginal. And the Director's Cut and Ultimate Cut exist after them there really isn't a lot left to cover.
And this being Zack Snyder negotiating this is weird. What he is not confident in what he made? Why a TV Show? You did a good job on this material fukkin' recently. Show some fukkin' confidence in your work.

He probably is showing confidence in his work but also probably wants to tell more story. Or feels like there's more to tell. And while you or anyone else who has the blu ray may have all that extra footage, people who don't have it probably don't have all that access.

As far as the unoriginality, this is the same network giving us a Westworld tv show, which not only has a movie but a sequel. TV right now is all about exploiting existing properties breh, you know that. We're getting a new A-Team show, a tv version of the island of dr. Moreau, and a jack ryan tv show on amazon. This is where we are right now, existing properties with cache, whether it be a lot of cache or a little cache

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I completely agree. Watchmen has so many interesting characters and story profiles coupled with HBO, who in their right mind would not want to watch that? I could easily see it becoming Game of Thrones successor.

And the article I read on Collider pointed that out. Thrones is going to end eventually, possibly soon, and they're going to need something to replace it

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
While watching season 1 of true blood I always wondered why HBO were staying away from doing something based on superheroes

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
He probably is showing confidence in his work but also probably wants to tell more story. Or feels like there's more to tell. And while you or anyone else who has the blu ray may have all that extra footage, people who don't have it probably don't have all that access.

As far as the unoriginality, this is the same network giving us a Westworld tv show, which not only has a movie but a sequel. TV right now is all about exploiting existing properties breh, you know that. We're getting a new A-Team show, a tv version of the island of dr. Moreau, and a jack ryan tv show on amazon. This is where we are right now, existing properties with cache, whether it be a lot of cache or a little cache
At least Westerworld was 30 years ago. This is 6!
And I'm not checking for none of that shyt. This included. Alan Moore was right.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
:what:There is tons left to uncover. Alan Moore created a huge universe in that mini-series that is primed to be mined in detail and that no amount of Director's Cuts from a feature length film would ever be able to fully explore.
Snyder's whole reason for taking the directing gig for the movie is because WB was planning on setting the Watchmen movie in the present day, give every character super-powers and be an allegory of the "War on Terror" so he made a pretty straightforward movie that actually embraced and held fast to as much of the original source material as he could. But even with that he had to cut and compromise.

HoopLife

Superstar
Daps

Were in the golden era of television. I had no they're doing a Jack Ryan tv show :banderas:. One of my favorite characters. And this is HBO were talking about. Not some network bullshyt that would be half assed and cancelled in one season not to mention dumbbed down beyond belief

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
:what:There is tons left to uncover. Alan Moore created a huge universe in that mini-series that is primed to be mined in detail and that no amount of Director's Cuts from a feature length film would ever be able to fully explore.
Snyder's whole reason for taking the directing gig for the movie is because WB was planning on setting the Watchmen movie in the present day, give every character super-powers and be an allegory of the "War on Terror" so he made a pretty straightforward movie that actually embraced and held fast to as much of the original source material as he could. But even with that he had to cut and compromise.
You mean there is shyt you could riff off and make completely different stories with the same character? OK. But the DC/UC covered the book pretty much.
And he did a great job. My hat is off to him cause I love the book. But making stories about fighting Moloch and Big Figure back in the day is not that interesting. Especially if Alan Moore is not writing it. You enjoy it though.

FLATOP

Superstar
Daps
The movie already had literal panel for panel recreations:dwillhuh:

Whats the point of this:dwillhuh:

Unless they do Before Watchmen or Minutemen in the early seasons

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
Imagine if he had arrow on HBO:ohlawd:
is being on HBO going to suddenly improve the lead characters acting, stop the creators from jacking Nolan, batman or every DC character not related to green arrow ?