HBO Cancels Vinyl

Clayton Endicott

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
A lodge of the Saints John of Jerusalem
Whatever.
I only made it 25 minutes through the 1st episode before shutting it off

Another one of those "let me big up these white rockers from my youth" ass shows.

:russell:
That shyt really started to gain some steam as the season progressed though; especially towards the end. shyt was kind of dope to see the underground movements that gave birth to disco and hip hop. shyt was starting to get real for Richie and the crew too.

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
I'm not going to pretend I'm super familiar with the show but I doubt that show needed 100 million too.

The original music from damn near every major 60's 70's artist..Full tracks...They played the entire Pink Floyd "Money"

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
The original music from damn near every major 60's 70's artist..Full tracks...They played the entire Pink Floyd "Money"

I was talking about the Utopia reboot, which Fincher apparently also wanted 100 million for.

Jeffrey Lebowski

i'm the dude
Daps
Reppin

I remember an episode opening showed the protagonists walking into a bank in classic Scorsese slow motion with the original Beatles recording of "Here Comes the Sun" playing in the background. It was incredibly swagged out, but it also gave me pause because the impression I've gotten is that Beatles recordings cost a literal fortune to license (one of the reasons, for instance, that there's so few samples from them in "official" hip hop releases). That single scene, basically a cool looking throwaway, probably cost more to film than the episode budget for some shows, and with the ratings as low as they were it seems pretty fukking decadent in hindsight.

That being said, it sucks this got cancelled. There were plenty of faults that have largely been covered already in the thread, but I was invested in the characters and the setting and was looking forward to more.

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
Just as boring as preacher and a snooze fest.
Not to mention if the cbgb movie failed.
Why did they think this would work.

Art Barr

Daps
Whatever.
I only made it 25 minutes through the 1st episode before shutting it off

Another one of those "let me big up these white rockers from my youth" ass shows.

:russell:

Yup. I have a better idea for a show.

Remeber that shytty hip hop show VH1 had called the breaks?:ohhh: Except they didnt get the sets, costumes, or music right :snoop:

Yeah, vinyl should have been the story of hip hop. But only HBO or SHowtime should get the rights, because they wont have nikkas checking iphones and using hoverboards in 1981 :francis:

Daps
Gotta say I'm stunned that HBO can't figure this shyt out. Right now their only premier show is Game Of Thrones, and that's moreso a ratings monster than a truly great show; it doesn't compare to The Wire, The Sopranos, etc. A lot of the great showrunners are doing stuff on Netflix and similar streaming mediums while HBO starves for talent.

They seem to have a couple solid comedies in Veep and Silicone Valley but they need a premier tier-1 show that makes people give a fukk about what HBO as a brand used to mean: high quality drama. Boardwalk Empire didn't really do this. True Detective S1 did it but it was an anthology and the second season fell off a cliff. So I'm not sure what they do next. I know David Simon has two shows coming to HBO and while they'll be dope, I doubt they'll be the hit shows HBO needs.

IMO they need some type of crime drama that transcends the medium again, like Sopranos/Wire. And preferably something that isn't played out.

funny thing about game of thrones-- HBO had a hit with a series in 2005 called "Rome" was like Game of Thrones but better because it was based on reeal shyt- They canceled it because it was a budget of $25M per episode...

They replace it "Carnivale" which is $100M per episode- then cancel that after two years bc its too expensive...ast orward a few yrs and game thrones :francis:

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
funny thing about game of thrones-- HBO had a hit with a series in 2005 called "Rome" was like Game of Thrones but better because it was based on reeal shyt- They canceled it because it was a budget of $25M per episode...

They replace it "Carnivale" which is $100M per episode- then cancel that after two years bc its too expensive...ast orward a few yrs and game thrones :francis:

Timing I guess?

But one of the untapped features of Vinyl is that is was set during a period where music was in a transition, so they could've taken the show in ANY direction. You had the end of heavy blues, soul with the potential to become R&B, funk being prominent, rock evolving, the origins of hip-hop, disco...They covered everything in Season 1, later seasons could've seen them focus on one particular genre.