HBO Cancels Vinyl

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
fukk this.

I actually ended up really enjoying the show as it went along. It improved as the season went.

HBO in 2016 doesn't know what the fukk it's doing.

They know they shouldn't be spending another 100 million on a niche show with low ass ratings, that's for sure.

But people who go 'Why they do this, why they do this?' need to remember this is HBO, the same HBO that cut off and cancelled Deadwood and Carnivale so they could pump a load of money into Rome, which might did better in ratings but not nearly enough to justify the budget on that one either.

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
They know they shouldn't be spending another 100 million on a niche show with low ass ratings, that's for sure.

But people who go 'Why they do this, why they do this?' need to remember this is HBO, the same HBO that cut off and cancelled Deadwood and Carnivale so they could pump a load of money into Rome, which might did better in ratings but not nearly enough to justify the budget on that one either.
They should have spent it on utopia in the first place :beli:

karim

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Rom was the greatest TV Show ever, and they cut that one short as well :martin:

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%

Never got into rome..

man I wish Carnivale could come back :wow:

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
Vinyl was an excellent show if you're a music lover, and the budget was more than likely due to all of the music clearances that had to be paid. Now I admit that Bobby Cannavale's character wasn't likeable, but if you watched the show, he was a guy with a knack and love for music that became engulfed in the music politics to become Generic Label Exec 1. I'll admit the 2 hour premier was too much, but by the 3rd ep it found its footing. The Dice storyline was the only part I hated.

It didn't just talk about Rock & Roll. It touched on disco, punk, funk, soul, blues and you saw the beginnings of hip-hop. Check it out. Besides, y'all act like any of HBO's other originals started off strong. They were all slow - Boardwalk, Game of Thrones, How to Make it in America, Carnivale, Deadwood...The only one that I'll say didn't was Oz.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Vinyl was an excellent show if you're a music lover, and the budget was more than likely due to all of the music clearances that had to be paid. Now I admit that Bobby Cannavale's character wasn't likeable, but if you watched the show, he was a guy with a knack and love for music that became engulfed in the music politics to become Generic Label Exec 1. I'll admit the 2 hour premier was too much, but by the 3rd ep it found its footing. The Dice storyline was the only part I hated.

It didn't just talk about Rock & Roll. It touched on disco, punk, funk, soul, blues and you saw the beginnings of hip-hop. Check it out. Besides, y'all act like any of HBO's other originals started off strong. They were all slow - Boardwalk, Game of Thrones, How to Make it in America, Carnivale, Deadwood...The only one that I'll say didn't was Oz.
If you want to make a show about music for music lovers make the protagonists musicians. Following the scene thru music execs was a huge misstep, and for that scene in the 1970s the show just had too many prominent white characters. I'm really not that interested in their perspective on the scene.

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
If you want to make a show about music for music lovers make the protagonists musicians. Following the scene thru music execs was a huge misstep, and for that scene in the 1970s the show just had too many prominent white characters. I'm really not that interested in their perspective on the scene.

Fair enough, but a show about the musicians really won't work because it's the same story over and over again....a story that we see in real life, and portrayed in media. I liked the perspective of a label head, and I think they found balance by having Richie be an actual music lover first. They needed something stable to focus the show around. It's the equivalent to seeing a movie on Quincy vs The Miracles or Temps. Would you really watch a show on the Nasty Bits or Lester? I like where Lester's story was headed as becoming the Nasty Bits manager. A&R's fukking the talent, Hannibal in a bidding war.

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
Let's keep it funky, if you watched the whole season then it becomes clear that HBO should have given this show one more final season. Once it focused a little more on the surrounding musicians and less on the management, the show got way more interesting. Especially as you got more into funk, soul, blues the roots of punk and the beginnings of disco and subsequently hip-hop. Vinnie Sinestra was a raging a$$hole but he was all about the music, and low-key Ray Romano put on his best performance as his beleaguered best friend. I'm assuming most of budget went into clearing the music. But HBO is in a weird position because aside of GOT they don't really have a premiere drama that draws people in like they used to. Showtime, FX and AMC have stepped up bigtime over the past 5 or 6 years and I can bet once GOT ends, they are going to lose subscribers like crazy.

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Yeah, I hated this, and only watched the first half of the 2 hour premiere....Like @dora_da_destroyer noted, cliches abound, as well as very tired themes of alpha male fantasies and swaggering anti heroes, who have neither the edge, nor the likability of a Tony Soprano, or Vic Mackey. Also, the beyond tired angles of a marriage in distress and the husband obsessed and consumed by work, leaving his wife to forge her own sense of self, plus the spunky and ambitious secretary who vows to move up the ranks....Predictable and dull glorified drug use and sex scenes......

I hated it, but a group of other friends, who are about 10-15 years older then me, all loved it. Looking forward to 'Westworld', the original isn't perfect but very dope dystopian sci fi.