HBCU students are asked to name 5 African countries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bunchy Carter

I'll Take The Money Over The Honey
Daps
Reppin
Triple O.G. Bunchy Carter
They would have no problem naming 5 European countries.

Africa is the foundation of civilization and the most globally important continent in terms of resources and geopolitics. That’s why any educated person should be able name 5 countries.

Your separatist ideology should not supersede your common sense.

Daps
This is also an effect the way Africa has been portrayed in Media not just education. The continent is often discussed as a country. So if you are not scholarly or interested you don't get to gain knowledge of much of African countries or culture.

Hence why people still discuss the continent like.i
Its a country. I won't call those brehs stupid. I'm sure they could name 5 planets and 5 European cities and Countries. 5 Asian countries. The identity of Africans and Black people in general is treated as a complete afterthought to most of the world.. no distinction.

To use a relevant example...see the coli diaspora wars and the average clown who participates in that shyt will use references that are relevant only to West Africans, Nigerians or Somalians towards anyone African in general. To many people they can't separate Africans and furthermore many don't care to. The lack of knowledge can be a mix of ignorance, lack of interest and also an effect of how media portrayal has cemented this idea that Africa just being one place with not much distinction.

This is also why many Africans eventually got used to just saying they are from Africa not a the country of their origin because they would get met with the deer in headlights look. shyt goes like this

"Where you from" - :jbhmm:

"Burkina Faso"

"Oh Cool" - :lupe:

Eventually you just learn to say "Africa" :unimpressed:

Until someone says "Where in Africa"

And then you like - :gladbron:

Because you can actually elaborate and speak on your origin without losing someone in conversation and they have references and some general knowledge about the place.
I have to admit, I don't like it when Africans reply with "Africa" when you ask them where they're from.
I'm like: "What part of Africa? What country? Africa is massive and diverse."

I remember when I met a person from Kenya during a gym workout. I noticed his accent and so I asked him where he was from. He said 'Africa' and I said "What African country?" then he said Kenya. So I inquired further and asked him what is his ethnic group and spouted off a load of Kenyan ethnic groups (Kikuyu, Luo, Luhya, Masai, Kamba, etc). The dude's eyes were in shock then lit up. He was half Luhya (his father and half Kikuyu (his mother) and chatted about Kenya and his life story. I even shocked him some more by asking about his fave Kenyan dishes and spouting them off. His fave is Pilau and Sukuma Wiki.

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
I have to admit, I don't like it when Africans reply with "Africa" when you ask them where they're from.
I'm like: "What part of Africa? What country? Africa is massive and diverse."

I remember when I met a person from Kenya during a gym workout. I noticed his accent and so I asked him where he was from. He said 'Africa' and I said "What African country?" then he said Kenya. So I inquired further and asked him what is his ethnic group and spouted off a load of Kenyan ethnic groups (Kikuyu, Luo, Luhya, Masai, Kamba, etc). The dude's eyes were in shock then lit up. He was half Luhya (his father and half Kikuyu (his mother) and chatted about Kenya and his life story. I even shocked him some more by asking about his fave Kenyan dishes and spouting them off. His fave is Pilau and Sukuma Wiki.
This is awesome and exactly what I was talking about

We get happy when we can get deeper on the conversation of where home is. Most people can't engage on that level.so we learn to just say Africa and not get too deep. But we always appreciate those that know more

br82186

Superstar
Daps
I can't hate on them, I blame the US education system honestly

Buddy

Keep my name out of it
Bushed
Daps
OF COURSE ya'll are having another internet ass battle :mjlol:

Rev Leon Lonnie Love

damned mine eyes, DAMNED mine eyes!!
Daps
I mean, according to #ADOS coli they ain't got nothing tying them to Africa since their ancestors are native americans....so why would they be required to know countries these divisive tethers come from? :mjpls:

Daps
Yeah, This is pathetic.

It's not even the fact that they're black and "should know every and anything about africa"

But how are people so geographically inept yet managed to make it to college?:gucci:
Because there’s more important things to learn about. Knowing African countries are on the bottom list of important things to know :heh:

Daps
I mean, according to #ADOS coli they ain't got nothing tying them to Africa since their ancestors are native americans....so why would they be required to know countries these divisive tethers come from? :mjpls:
You are correct. Them knowing that information is useless and contributes nothing to their learning path unless it is geology.

Status
Not open for further replies.