Has The Power Gap Between Consoles & PC Ever Been Wider Than It Is Now?

The Guru

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Right. Ionno why PC dukes always wanna chest thump about this. As if you paying anywhere from 2-5 times as much for a piece of tech wouldn't blow the lesser costing tech out of the water. It's supposed to. It'd be one thing if you could build these pcs at the same price or less or just barely more than current hardware. Maybe 5 years from now, you can.

Thing is, to most folks, it doesn't even matter as much and at the end of the day, it's diminishing returns. Sure, it's all cool if you got the money to burn, I suppose. Even then tho, to most the ends doesn't justify the means as far as that goes. Are there even 10 games that are only on PC that are truly flexing all that peddle to the metal on all sides really? Among the top 10 pc games played don't even require all that extra horsepower. And the other funny flipside of this coin is, the average pc gamer aren't even on all this extra flex tip with their rigs anyway. Just a few elitists types of that spend all that money to overcompensate for other areas they lacking.
True. Check steams videocard stats. Most used cards are mid to low range from two/one generations ago.
Steam Hardware & Software Survey

Negro Caesar

Superstar
Daps
If we being real. Console is trash compared to Any PC with an rtx 2060 super or higher honestly.

consoles look/play good for the price they are at. But once you experience PC gaming you will see how clunky a console feels.

and most you nighas probably have an overpriced Apple MacBook or some shyt. Most people have computers in their homes. Y’all just didn’t think about the gaming aspect of a computer when you bought it.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
If we being real. Console is trash compared to Any PC with an rtx 2060 super or higher honestly.

consoles look/play good for the price they are at. But once you experience PC gaming you will see how clunky a console feels.

and most you nighas probably have an overpriced Apple MacBook or some shyt. Most people have computers in their homes. Y’all just didn’t think about the gaming aspect of a computer when you bought it.

Yall are just gonna have to realize a vast majority of people ain’t really into dropping stacks for a gaming platform for negligible differences

NZA

LOL
Daps
Reppin
These Internet Streetz
the new amd and rtx 30 series blows these next-gen consoles out of the water at launch

god knows how wide the power gap will be when the next-gen cards come out in 2022-2023.

has there ever been this wide of a power gap between consoles and PC? if so, when?

I'm genuinely curious :ohhh:
it's worse in the later years of a console when the software has been as optimized as it's ever going to be. the beginnings of a generation are not a great measurement

Pimp

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The answer is no, it has never been wider, because cards like the 3080 and 3090 that can legit do 4k at 100fps, have never existed before.

What games are you getting 4k 100fps on ultra settings? I would like to know because i have a 3080..

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
What games are you getting 4k 100fps on ultra settings? I would like to know because i have a 3080..

Pretty much everything that is NOT RDR2 or Cyberpunk. And you can get pretty close to 100 FPS 4k with DLSS.

If your playing in 4k you really don't need to turn any type of AA on in most games due to the pixel density of a 4k monitor. That alone will increase your framerate 15 to 25%, since AA is still often the single most demanding graphical setting for any video game.

Did you do the resizable BAR update ? If so you should take a look at the list of games that support it. That will get you another 5 to 10 % FPS increase as well.

Pimp

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I think the gap became the largest it's ever been when the 3080 and 3090 dropped.

We are still generations away from a console being able to do native 4k at 60 fps or higher...while for pc cards legit exist that can do 4k at 100 fps or higher...

I mean forget native 4k, is there ANY game on a console that runs at 100 fps...period ?

I played Destiny 2 at 120fps on ps5..

Pimp

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Pretty much everything that is NOT RDR2 or Cyberpunk. And you can get pretty close to 100 FPS 4k with DLSS.

If your playing in 4k you really don't need to turn any type of AA on in most games due to the pixel density of a 4k monitor. That alone will increase your framerate 15 to 25%, since AA is still often the single most demanding graphical setting for any video game.

Did you do the resizable BAR update ? If so you should take a look at the list of games that support it. That will get you another 5 to 10 % FPS increase as well.

Call Of Duty i have to turn off ray tracing to get 4k 100fps..

Digital Foundry explained why consoles can keep up with pcs.. On a gaming monitor I don't even think 4k matters.

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
Call Of Duty i have to turn off ray tracing to get 4k 100fps..

Digital Foundry explained why consoles can keep up with pcs.. On a gaming monitor I don't even think 4k matters.

I mean it should be a given that you not going to be running any game in 4k at 100fps with ray tracing on :russ:

Digital Foundry makes up so much bullshyt that I don't see how anyone can view them as an authority on anything :mjlol:

These the same guys who said RDR2 ran at native 4k on the xbox one "because somehow it just did" only for rockstar themselves to say they could finally run the game in native 4k like they always wanted on the pc version. Rockstar said that some of the lowest graphical settings on the pc version are still higher than the settings on the xbox one x version but digitial foundry is telling me it runs at native 4k on the xbox one:mjlol:

They also have a video for the latest gears of war game where they tell you the console version is "better" than the PC version, but they are comparing the console version that was created for the new xbox to the pc version that came out a year before :russ:. Of course the console version is going to look comparable when its been re worked to look better than a year old game. Still locked at 60 fps though :mjlol:

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
The gap at the end of console generations is when it’s the largest. The end of the 360/PS3 era was outrageously lopsided. I was playing games in 3 monitors, on high, at like 45-60 fps. It was embarrassing to compare that to 720p, one monitor, console games :mjlol:

I’d say the end of the PS4 era was equally as large. PC gamers were playing games at 4K with Ray-tracing and g-sync. Compared to the PS4 and X1, it’s hilarious

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yall are just gonna have to realize a vast majority of people ain’t really into dropping stacks for a gaming platform for negligible differences

Differences are a huge leap, that's its expensive, consoles are toys in comparison

you got people paying 1k for a ps5 of stockx don't talk about what people will spend on gaming, consoles don't let you optimize any of the games settings, on PC no matter what hardware you have, you can toggle the settings until you have a balance between performance and graphics

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Differences are a huge leap, that's its expensive, consoles are toys in comparison

you got people paying 1k for a ps5 of stockx don't talk about what people will spend on gaming, consoles don't let you optimize any of the games settings, on PC no matter what hardware you have, you can toggle the settings until you have a balance between performance and graphics

I promise you there have been very few people on here that paid over retail for their consoles lol

If we’re jsut gonna assume people are paying over retail we can do the same thing with the new graphic cards that are going for like 2 stacks on ebay