Has Sony surpassed Nintendo in 1st party IPs?

Grand Conde

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You went complete fanboy here. Having a preference is fine, but the topic is about software and half ur post has nothing to do with that .

I think most would agree that games like Mario 64, OOT, and Melee are pillar games in their genres. Are there 1st party Ps1 and 2 games I didnt play that are on that level?

And I'm look at this list from GB and while there are some good games, revolutionary isn't the word I would use to describe the that PS3 lineup.:ld:

You don't think Naughty Dog games had a massive impact on the industry? Come on now.

kaldurahm

All Star
Daps
:stopitslime::mjlol:

I don't think it's comparable tbh. One is trying to be like Disney the other is doing its own thing.

Mario, Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Legend of Zelda, Fire Emblem vs. God of War, Ratchet and Clank, Uncharted, The last of Us, and Spiderman. No sense in comparing imo.

I think Mario Kart and Animal Crossing have 40 and 30 million sales on switch :picard:.

I wish Nintendo was on the NYSE

Last edited:
Daps
While Nintendo has played it safe rehashing the same games and characters, Sony has been breaking new ground in gaming

The games are critically acclaimed and commercially successful so these are brands that are going to be around for a long time with many sequels....plus Sony has a lot of old IP they haven’t even touched in a while that gamers would go crazy for

God of war
Horizon zero Dawn
Last of us
Ghost of tushima
Ratchet and clank
Jack and dexter
Sly cooper

Twisted metal
Socom

Arc the lad
Wild arms
Alundra

Legend of dragoon
Killzone
Jet moto
Uncharted
Syphon filter
Ape escape

Spiderman
Gran Turismo
Parappa
Astrobot
Medivel

Sony bench kinda deep :lupe:

Games in bold are rehashed IPs

The Games I’ve highlighted in italics are forgotten/dormant IPs that haven’t seen anything for a few gens come back when you have better examples

Only 3 of them are new IPs

medievil as a remake would count as another rehash

In terms of new exclusives Sony beats Nintendo

but IPs overall :mjlol: including dormant ones come on son

when Sony can create a game that rivals smash bros melee let alone ultimate (I know it has 3rd party characters but so did PlayStation allstars) we’ll talk.

I could go back and make a huge list of Nintendo IPs not named Mario or Zelda like FZero, Golden Sun, 1080/wave race, Punch Out, Eternal Darkness, Star fox and the list goes on and I’d sound like you OP

But if we’re talking cream of the crop exclusives... Right now it’s TLOU 2 , GOW 4, Ghosts of Tsushima, Spiderman /Miles, Persona 5 Royal
Horizon, NIOH 2, Bloodborne, Uncharted 4

v Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey, Smash Bros Ultimate, Astral Chain,

So Sony takes it because Nintendo have been coasting a little and not putting out enough heavy hitters

Last edited:

Brian O'Conner

All Star
Daps
This thread is a cross post from a place that shall not be named:stopitslime:

OP, you some explaining to do.:ufdup:

I just started GOT after playing hzd and gow back to back and thought of this :ohlawd:

Games in bold are rehashed IPs

The Games I’ve highlighted in italics are forgotten/do IPs that haven’t seen anything for a few gens come back when you have better examples

Only 3 of them are new IPs

medievil as a remake would count as another rehash

In terms of new exclusives Sony beats Nintendo

but IPs overall :mjlol: including dormant ones come on son

when Sony can create a game that rivals smash bros melee let alone ultimate (I know it has 3rd party characters but so did PlayStation allstars) we’ll talk

uncharted is rehashed?:heh:

the games you put in italics were wildly successful, if Sony came out with a next gen twisted metal or siphon filter for ps5 people would lose their minds

what Sony has been doing different is consistently putting out near “perfect 10 “games the last 4 years, outside of botw they got many more awards than Nintendo for some time

Daps
I just started GOT after playing hzd and gow back to back and thought of this :ohlawd:

the games you put in italics were wildly successful, if Sony came out with a next gen twisted metal or siphon filter for ps5 people would lose their minds

what Sony has been doing different is consistently putting out near “perfect 10 “games the last 4 years, outside of botw they got many more awards than Nintendo for some time
How many games in the series do they have??

6 including Golden Abyss and the Lost Legacy the gameplay is generally the same shoot climb set piece.

at least according to your logic if Mario and Zelda are Rehashes

Last edited:
Daps

what Sony has been doing different is consistently putting out near “perfect 10 “games the last 4 years, outside of botw and Mario Odyssey they got many more awards than Nintendo for some time

but they haven’t

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
Why do you think Playstation repeatedly beats out X-Box every gen?
the highest selling games for Playstation are still GTA, COD, etc. the exclusives might be why someone choose Playstation over Xbox, but multiplatform games are still the bread and butter. no one buys a Nintendo console to play multiplatform games

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
Depends on your preference.

You like cinematic experiences with high quality visuals, sounds and storytelling? Then Sony’s IP’s got you.

You like simple, casual, by the book, easy to grasp, less focus on storytelling and more on fun gameplay that you and the fam could enjoy? Then Nintendo has something for you.
Essentially this. They are simply targeting different audiences.

Nintendo’s first party IP’s does cover more genres then Sonys.

Also more then half of the IP’s that the OP posted are kind of irrelevant. It’s like a Nintendo fan boasting about F-Zero.

Last edited:

Chris Cool

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
So Cal
:unimpressed: Like 20 years ago.

Take away smash bros and a lot of nikkas wouldn't even buy a Nintendo console.

Of course Nintendo can survive off of first part sales, their the only reason to buy a Nintendo. And when you throw in that they're the cheapest and most kids friendly, it's not hard to figure out. nikkas ain't buying switch to play 2k.