Has Bruce Wayne ever been an interesting character?

Easy-E

I 💗My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
At least on screen?

I’m not talking about batman im talking about Bruce, outside of the costume, in his day to day life. It always feels like he’s doing the bare minimum cosplay as a business tyc00n but ts never believable or interesting. It usually only involves him moping around or acting like an a$$hole. I feel like DC has not figured out how to make Bruce Wayne the man interesting without the cape still.

We also never seem him perform special feats outside of costume which adds to how bland the character is. He’s also one of the few popular characters that don’t have a super specific look to him. Literally anyone can be Bruce wayne as long as they can wear a suit.

No. The casuals wanna see Batman.

Actually; I was on Mask of the Phantasm (the GOAT animated super hero film).

Cakebatter

All Star
Daps
My favorite part of the movie Joker was watching Thomas Wayne being portrayed like a Donald Trump figure, and the sheltered young Barron Bruce growing up to believe the myth told by Alfred and Thomas's old rich friends that Bruce's dad was this great benvolent philanthropist. In my mind it helps reconcile how Gotham's richest man furiously fights crime, yet Gotham remains a shyt hole city.

Last edited:

Mr. Negative

Conspiracy Weirdo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Mississippi Cotton Field
nope. neither has Tony Stark, Oliver Queen or hell, even Lamont Crangston/Richard Wentworth.

There's a story floating around somewhere where the alter ego DOESNT become a masked crimefighter but just a legit badass doing good, and it's interesting as shyt. I think Image published it, but I can't think of the name of it.

The alter isn't as interesting cause you arent here to read about them.

Jaguar93

Superstar
Daps
nope. neither has Tony Stark, Oliver Queen or hell, even Lamont Crangston/Richard Wentworth.

There's a story floating around somewhere where the alter ego DOESNT become a masked crimefighter but just a legit badass doing good, and it's interesting as shyt. I think Image published it, but I can't think of the name of it.

The alter isn't as interesting cause you arent here to read about them.

Iron_Man_128.jpg

TheSuperkick!

The Ultimate Madness!
Supporter
Daps
No. The casuals wanna see Batman.
Exactly. I remember one of the big hiccups people had with Iron Man 3 was that Tony wasn't in the suit enough. In Dark Knight Rises, it was like 40-45 minutes before Batman showed up. That was one of those things people were irked by. Not enough Batman in the movie. If a hero isn't wearing their "cape" it turns off casual viewers.

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
Exactly. I remember one of the big hiccups people had with Iron Man 3 was that Tony wasn't in the suit enough. In Dark Knight Rises, it was like 40-45 minutes before Batman showed up. That was one of those things people were irked by. Not enough Batman in the movie. If a hero isn't wearing their "cape" it turns off casual viewers.
Thats not just casuals. I’m about as serious a spiderman fan is, and i like peter parker a lot. Great character.

I want to see spiderman doing spiderman shyt. Webswinging, talking shyt, beating up low level bad guys between pizza slices, being late for dates, spider sense, etc. every spiderman movie should have at least one entire act of that, and most do. Its why hardcores like andrew garfield’s portrayal because he was very good at that aspect.

AllHolosEve

Her Name Is Mistress Death
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SouthSide, MPLS
-It's probably because when they're not in the suit they aren't doing anything interesting & you go to these movies to be visually entertained.

-Dark Knight Rises was a horrible movie all around anyways.

AllHolosEve

Her Name Is Mistress Death
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SouthSide, MPLS
On the contrary: Parker is absolutely meant to appeal to children, and is kept that way on purpose.
Batman worked to earn his skills: detective, fighter, inventor, businessman, philanthropist, the disguise of the bored socialite, all of it, to serve his chosen purpose of being Batman. His psychosis is beside the point. He knows about it and chooses to use it to serve a purpose anyway. He is who who has chosen to be.
Parker was accidentally bitten by a spider, gained powers, and from then until now has done everything possible to avoid making any kind of lasting choice beyond aimlessly whining and moralizing to himself in his head. He's every bit as smart as Richards, T'Challa, Stark, Banner, McCoy, every last one of them...and will not commit to anything beyond simply reacting to life as it comes along to smack him in the face. Have you ever seen Parker train at anything? Work to improve his fighting skills by studying with anyone? Ever? Nope. It's all instinctive/reactive. His skillset has it's appeal visually, and it makes for amazing dynamic graphic art, but make no mistake: the immaturity underlying everything he does is kept at that level with that appeal to the aimless in mind.
The man chooses, the child reacts.
-Spiderman represents the average person & the average person isn't doing all that extra shyt. The superhero shyt is a responsibility & it doesn't define who he is as a person like everyone else you listed. The fukk Spiderman look like training?
I disagree...... I think older demographics gravitate to Bruce Wayne...
-Nobody gravitates to Bruce Wayne, they gravitate to Batman.

MajesticLion

Superstar
Daps
-Spiderman represents the average person & the average person isn't doing all that extra shyt. The superhero shyt is a responsibility & it doesn't define who he is as a person like everyone else you listed. The fukk Spiderman look like training?

Thank you for proving my point.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Bruce Wayne isn’t supposed to be interesting. The man himself is Batman. Bruce is just him going through the bare minimum when he’s not who he naturally is.

I think Batfleck was an example of a Bruce that was about as close to that version of Batman as you could get. He blurred the line between almost being the same wearing the mask and not wearing it. Might also be because more of the people we saw Batfleck interact with knew his identity though.

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
The animated series and Michael Keaton were very interesting Bruce Waynes.

With that said Bruce was always supposed to be somewhat one dimensional Bruce Wayne is the persona Batman is his true self.

Nero Christ

Sniper out now on all digital platforms brev
Daps
Reppin
St. Lucia
Folks don't realize that Bruce Wayne is the alter-ego and Batman is the real individual. The charismatic playboy billionaire is the mask for the broken psychopathic man beating up on people who are direct victims of his families wealth & politics.