Has anybody else fell off as hard promo wise as the rock?

DLo

All Star
Supporter
Daps
He is old and rusty on the mic. I'm hoping he does some serious mic work with Roman and the Bloodline. The jokes and catch phrases are corny as hell now.

Still rather see this feud than Roman v Cody II :russ:

My Girl is Bow Legged

JUST DO IT LIKE
Daps
I think it’s a combination of WWE going PG and shyt that was funny back in the day ain’t as funny now.
he's like the only guy who's allowed to not be PG lol. he's on tv saying a$$hole and bytch

his stuff from his 2000s face run has aged the worst but I always thought that shyt was kinda corny. most of the hollywood rock stuff is still hilarious tho. he just had a certain wit and timing that's just gone now and it's like his humor reverted to a 14 year old's in 1995

MushroomX

Packers Stockholder
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wisconsin
He had hair in the Rundown, but you could add that to the image too :lolbron:

Beck-The-Rundown-The-Rock-Dwayne-Johnson-c.jpg

Good catch. I think that picture was from Journey 2 Atlantis.

CM_Burns

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
If the comedian takes the Tonight Show job and stops being funny. I think it makes sense for me to think he's no longer funny.

Maybe, maybe not. Recent history says that won't be the case. Think it's fair to say he's fallen off until he proves otherwise.

The last time he was asked to carry a huge WM main event program he delivered though. It ran out of steam by year 3, but the first 2 years of Rock/Cena was great. Even most of TSC was basically treating it like "yea the match will be planned but they really hate each other and these are shoot promos". We haven't really seen him try to do a good, big program and fail yet.

i think how he approaches a throwaway appearance once a yr and how he'll approach his feud with Roman and final chapter of his career will be different.

Chris Cool

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
So Cal
The last time he was asked to carry a huge WM main event program he delivered though. It ran out of steam by year 3, but the first 2 years of Rock/Cena was great. Even most of TSC was basically treating it like "yea the match will be planned but they really hate each other and these are shoot promos". We haven't really seen him try to do a good, big program and fail yet.

i think how he approaches a throwaway appearance once a yr and how he'll approach his feud with Roman and final chapter of his career will be different.
:skip: his promos were trash. Cena was killing him.

TheAlbionist

All Star
Daps
Reppin
London
Happens to all acts in the end.

He's like a band that was big in 2000 doing a reunion tour to play that one good album they did but with an orchestra so its just a little bit blander than you remember and everyone leaves feeling a little bit embarrassed by the whole thing.

King Kai

Supporter
Daps
He is old and rusty on the mic. I'm hoping he does some serious mic work with Roman and the Bloodline. The jokes and catch phrases are corny as hell now.

Still rather see this feud than Roman v Cody II :russ:
I think he'll take this feud more seriously since it's family which means less corny shyt hopefully :lupe:

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
The Chapelle example isn't about what he's doing now. Whoever you think the best comedian is, if he takes the Tonight Show job, you're gonna say he fell off, even if his talent and skill doesn't drop a bit.

I didnt think the matches were that good but him and Cena did GREAT stuff on the mic, had people thinking the promo part was a shoot. It wasn't all fruity pebbles.

I think Rocks gonna do some good storytelling and promos in this Roman feud that aren't just goofy sh1t. This is probably the end for him and I think he cares about quality.

Bad analogy becaise Jimmy Fallon and Jay Leno were not worthy of a TV slot past their subs for the tonight show. Where they became funny from said gig and really were not really funny before. Fallon was just the snl comedy version of Carson daley the guy from mtv. Till he got on the tonight show. Jay Leno was the ugly duck replacement for Joan rivers replacing Johnny carson. nobody originally wanted. Before Joan rivers cut her face all up and Leno became the face of the tonight show. I have not seen the rock in wwe programming in any appearance since cena/rock I believe. So If the rock promo was lacking. It was lacking. It makes sense it would be lacking.
as the rock naturally has ring rust.
from the mic to the workrate at this point.
Where that will create an apparent disconnect.
to his perceived overall quality in legacy.

Art Barr

Last edited: