Hard Knocks Life Vol. 3-Will the Defense be up to Par(sons)- ‘21 Cowboys Season Thread

BigE214

Future GOAT
Daps
Reppin
Groveside, TX
To change the mood in here a lil bit:

LVE played well at the LB spot last week and we’ll need those kind of performances from him going forward.

Outside of the open field tackle Wilson missed on Murray. He looked good too, pause, and is an upgrade from Kazee, although I think Kazee is decent.

I also think a solution for our offense could be a simple fix, hurry up O. Stop letting defenses get set and confuse Dak. Come out early firing and take an early lead and let the defense do it’s thing.

We have too much money on the offensive side of the ball to be stalled by the person that gets paid the most :sadcam:

BigE214

Future GOAT
Daps
Reppin
Groveside, TX
Coop knows his guarantees in his contract are up after this season.

63 catches 786 yrds 8 TDs over a 16-game slate arent going to cut it when you are getting $20M. This is why hes starting to call out Dak.
When I saw these number earlier it made me look up 2017

I wanna say Dez had like 8sum Witten had 500 Beasley had 314 and T Will had 368. Don’t quote me on the numbers but it was something like that. Plain ol pathetic numbers with this kind of talent………… again

BlueHeffner

Veteran
Daps
To change the mood in here a lil bit:

LVE played well at the LB spot last week and we’ll need those kind of performances from him going forward.

Outside of the open field tackle Wilson missed on Murray. He looked good too, pause, and is an upgrade from Kazee, although I think Kazee is decent.

I also think a solution for our offense could be a simple fix, hurry up O. Stop letting defenses get set and confuse Dak. Come out early firing and take an early lead and let the defense do it’s thing.

We have too much money on the offensive side of the ball to be stalled by the person that gets paid the most :sadcam:
We are gonna end up bringing LVE back next year

No way can we go into the draft with Micah as our only healthy starting quality LB

Trill McClay

*Formerly known as Deeeez Nuts
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Texas
@Trill McClay can you post this.

Let’s study eight big plays from Sunday and we will call it a day.

Film study
1Q – 10:58 – 1st and 10 – ARZ 16 – G.Dortch right end pushed ob at ARZ 40 for 24 yards
First offensive snap. First! Arizona goes heavy personnel — which it never does. Greg Dortch (83) was on the field as the lone WR (also something Arizona never does — he played five snaps this season) and work him in a jet-sweep that is one of their biggest plays of the entire day. Anthony Brown (30) almost certainly has contain here and he has no idea what is happening right in front of him. These are the tactical wins that drive you crazy because it simply requires everyone is paying full attention. Perhaps Lewis or Parsons or Leighton Vander Esch can bail you out, but that is why Dortch’s speed is unforgiving. Either you force him back inside to your help or you get gashed for 24. Rough way to start.

1Q – 9:26 – 3rd and 9 – DAL 45 – K.Murray pass deep right to A.Green to DAL 3 for 42 yards (T.Diggs).
Here is this week’s big play against Diggs. I hope you aren’t the type of person to believe that he never gets beat, because if you just go back through these film studies, you will find a dozen or so massive plays at his expense. It doesn’t mean he isn’t good and it doesn’t mean he isn’t the Cowboys’ best corner. It does mean that teams aren’t afraid of him, despite the interception totals. Here A.J. Green (18) executes a stutter-and-go at about 10 yards and Diggs bites. Once he does, Green is five yards behind him and if Murray puts enough on this throw, it is a touchdown. He does not, so it instead goes for 42 yards. Diggs has to be more disciplined on these.

2Q – 13:05 – 3rd and 8 – ARZ 11 – K.Murray pass short left to C.Edmonds to ARZ 28 for 17 yards
This play is absurd and banana-stand worthy. Sometimes, special players do special things. We should point out that Lawrence was held here and that for me occurred at about the 1- or 2-yard line, so no, there would not have been a safety attached to it unless you are really biased. That said, Murray is elusive enough that it is impossible to claim that Lawrence would have touched him no matter what (that doesn’t mean he wasn’t held), but it does show his acceleration. The Cowboys have him cornered on this third-and-long and he hits the turbo and finds a clearing to his left. Then without turning his hips, he feathers a ridiculous pass in traffic to Chase Edmonds in stride to convert the third down. It was a true magic trick.

2Q – 6:07 – 3rd and Goal – DAL 6 – K.Murray pass short right to C.Edmonds pushed ob at DAL 1 for 5 yards (M.Parsons).
Here is a huge spot in the drive that contained the fake punt. The Cardinals are knocking on the door again, ahead 3-0. Third-and-goal and Dallas is in a good spot. Murray hits Edmonds again on a very quick route to the flat where he has a step on the linebacker and should be able to get the pylon. This is one of many times in this game where you saw Parsons demonstrate that he may be a linebacker, but he runs like a DB and he ends the play at the 1. Perhaps I am making a bigger deal about this than a 5-yard gain justifies, but I was stunned at his recovery speed on this play. Just elite. Edmonds may not be Murray fast, but he is really fast and Parsons caught him.

2Q – 5:32 – 4th and Goal – DAL 1 – K.Murray pass short left to A.Wesley for 1 yard, TOUCHDOWN.
The next play, fourth-and-goal. Murray makes you “never right” because if you have the receiver covered, Murray probably tries to outrun Malik Hooker (28) to the pylon. But Hooker is heat-seeking, so that is why the genius of the route of Antoine Wesley (85) is so good. Hooker would often go get the receiver, but he has been coached that Murray is on the boot and you cannot be late. But that means Brown cannot hand him off to someone else because Vander Esch will not have the angle or the speed. Too late, Murray threads a pass into traffic and it is a huge touchdown. This game might have pivoted on this play.

3Q – 12:21 – 2nd and 13 – ARZ 34 – K.Murray pass deep left to C.Kirk to DAL 23 for 43 yards
Here is the play that chased Lewis out of the game and you can see that the Cowboys are playing Cover 1 with spies on Murray underneath. That leaves Lewis trying to run with someone considerably faster and he does OK, but Murray just puts the ball right in the bucket and the Cardinals come out of halftime making plays again. It is 19-7 here and the next drive they kick it to make it 22-7, so I will stop well short of saying this lost the game, but a takeaway here makes me think Dallas can still save this thing.

3Q – 4:10 – 3rd and 5 – DAL 8 – K.Murray pass incomplete short right to Z.Ertz (J.Kearse).
People call this a four-point play because if Arizona doesn’t get it, it kicks a field goal instead of scoring a touchdown. But, maybe it is a seven-point play because Jayron Kearse should pick this off. The concept here is for the No. 3 receiver Zach Ertz (86) to run a corner with the outside two running slants to cause traffic against man coverage. Instead, Kearse gets through and Diggs even peels off his guy to help. Meanwhile, Parsons beats the right tackle so fast that Murray just throws a hopeful pass to the vicinity of where he thinks Ertz will be and it is a bad plan.

4Q – 2:03 – 2nd and 4 – DAL 29 – K.Murray left end to DAL 20 for 9 yards (D.Wilson).
Finally, after the scandalous non-review of the Edmonds fumble, here is the dagger. I only show this because as athletic as Gregory is, you cannot learn of Murray’s speed in practice. Unless we treat last Sunday as practice for 10 days from now. Gregory now knows that contain is not like it is for others. Gregory has freakish quickness and athleticism. He is playing the QB the whole time and yet it doesn’t matter. Murray is faster. Ballgame.

Again, my takeaway is Dallas has issues to consider and strategies to rethink. That said, the Cowboys seem built to deal with Murray and I think if they play again, they will still fancy their defensive chances. It only takes one or two more plays on third down.

Margins at this time of year against these types of players are quite slim.

dtownreppin214

l'immortale
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Shags & Leathers
From the articles @Trill McClay posted, compare the complexity of ARZ passing tree vs DAL passing tree. What do you guys see? :snoop:

CsnU3sS.png

9OAuiZV.png

56I5s8Q.png

DP5Nqi3.png

5BVN4K5.png

bui2pqG.png

Dy0wXDY.png

R9ybX1R.png

Last edited:

El Bombi

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
@*DalMem* celebrated when Dez was cut, saying it was a new day. “No more low IQ players”

looks around and sees nothing but low IQ players :mjpls:

Nothing I said was a lie. :umad:

That retard was the definition of Low Football IQ. :heh:

Dez Stanley's are still in their feelings. :pachaha:

The only thing holding this team back is the trash QB and Kicker.