Han Solo: A Star Wars Story [Official Thread] (2018)

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
These people also need to realize that Star Wars is a niche market. There are hardly any casual Star Wars fans, so you can't make SW for the masses.

No one wants these one-offs. If you're not gonna tell new stories, at least tell stories of characters that would deem interesting. No one wanted Han's backstory. The movie solid, but if the fans didn't want it, what did you expect? Y'all already shytted on the OGs; didnt even give them a proper, respectable sendoff. The new characters aren't garbage but at this point, any attempt in salvaging interest in them has been squandered.

After IX, and that's only because it's 9, but this franchise is gonna tank hard.

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I really understand where you're coming from. And in general you're right.

Star Wars, however, is not the example. Luke and Anakin spent the majority of both their trilogies failing and getting beat the fukk up. It turned Luke into a man who defeated Vader in Jedi and Anakin into a twisted psychopath.

They also had their heroic feats, but they were very flawed.

Obi-Wan loses every fight he's in but manages to win because of his wits.

There is no male equivalent to these ladies who take no L's in one on ones and match their opponents without training.

What Rey does to Kylo over two movies is really ridiculous in the SW context .

Thank you....damn how do people constantly miss these fukking points. Luke caught so many Ls and actually had character development.

With these new star wars movies the female characters are bad asses from the start. No development no taking Ls....just whooping ass like Rambo as soon as the intro starts.

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I could see that :yeshrug:

Some Kathleen Kennedyisms I noticed:

- that pirate turning out to be a young girl.
- a lady robot telling a black man that she wants equal rights (@Ziggiy ).
- Qi'ra won every fight she was in, while Han/Lando/Beckett all took L's.
- Han's lucky charms being a big thing now, they were trivial in the OG movies+TFA. They came up with this shyt in TLA and now Solo went extra to legitimize their importance.
- Finn got a kiss on the forehead from Rey and a peck from Rose, but Woody was tongueing down his black lady while everyone looked on like :mjgrin:

I would expect nothing less from this movie. Then to have lando the only one without a real women as a lover or ex lover.

Trash franchise.

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Exactly where I'm at right now. I'm not listing those things to shyt on the movie (ok not all of them :lolbron:), just stating a common thread since TFA. 4 movies in a row of this stuff.

hqdefault.jpg

Should read the force is "white female" cause that is what they mean.

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
Star Wars was never about that to be honest till recently when they started making very cartoon characters that can do anything
All the OT characters have clear flaws and shortcoming. They where all strong, but in a realistic and relatable manner. Han had his charm, cleverness, and superior pilot skills, and veteran scroundal wisdom. Yet, he was never exactly smart or very crafty outside of shooting computers. Leia was always a strong minded, intelligent, and leader amongst people where she used every advantage that she could get. Yet, she isn't a master Warrior. Luke really only had force sensitive power, moderate pilot skills, and later on.. Jedi wisdom. They really needed each other and be team.

Rey on the other hand. She can basically do anything at any time. It basically made Finn and Poe useless as supporting characters with Finn having very little skill outside of his witty charm and Poe only being useful in x-wing.

It's probably the reason why the new Star Wars has such a characterization problem. They make female characters be the modern day Hollywood male archetype, but Star Wars never feature that kind of character. So, it gets rejected by fans.

I think they problem with these newer Star Wars films are that the characters aren't created equal. if you go to the G, Leia was a badass, but equal footing was given to everyone. Hell, Luke was the worst in SW, and he was the protagonist. First scene has her mouthing off at dudes that you know are gonna torture her, then when she's rescued it's "someone has to saving our skins." Then you have characters like Ripley, Sarah Connor in T2, anything Geena Davis was in, Kathleen Turner, hell, Nancy Thompson from Freddy, Laurie from Halloween...there are great examples of strong, leading women, without bringing down anyone. I'll watch a movie that I'm interested in, no matter who's the lead.

I don't think many really had a problem with Rey being the lead character, but she's overpowered from the gate and has no story arc. I think it's also insulting to everyone, including her, that they prop her up while deminishing great traits of everyone else involved.

These are reasonable complaints. Just wanted to know where you guys were coming from. I agree that the characterization and character growth and arcs of pretty much everyone in these new films is severely lacking. Mostly though, these characters have no charisma or real heart. It all feels like a money grab. I did enjoy Solo though, but probably because my expectations going in were so low.

KillerB88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ATL - Cleveland Ave.
It may just because I'm a female, but if you put change the gender for all of these things you listed, it's like what I've been used to seeing from men since I started watching movies. No one complains when men do crazy stunt shyt that is impossible or ridiculously over the top. You guys just seem to accept it because it's a man doing it. It's a SW movie. It's science fiction, all of.a sudden gender is a problem when people win fights or do crazy stunts with little obstacle? Stuff has been over the top and ridiculous for a long time.
This isn't about stunts. This is about female characters being wise, patient, all-knowing-- while the men are mindless brutes who need their hands held to get from A to B.

Male heroes have always been flawed in movies.
John McClane
Luke
Batman
Hell, even Indiana Jones

And usually the stories are almost universally centered around the male character's flaws and personal struggles.

beaniemac

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
haven't seen it yet, just have one question - is this gonna secure the fact that Emilia Clarke is fukkin awful? She's the worst actress in the world and you can't convince me otherwise. haven't heard a single peep about that character, and without bleached blonde hair she's extremely boring looking

I didn't even recognize her without blonde hair. but then again, I just started watching GoT and I've never seen her in any other movie/tv show.

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
This isn't about stunts. This is about female characters being wise, patient, all-knowing-- while the men are mindless brutes who need their hands held to get from A to B.

Male heroes have always been flawed in movies.
John McClane
Luke
Batman
Hell, even Indiana Jones

And usually the stories are almost universally centered around the male character's flaws and personal struggles.

:ohhh: It's almost like you're saying male characters are written like human beings......

There's so many levels to what you're saying right now. lol. This is my problem. When females were being sidelined and minimized, they weren't really fleshed out or written well. Now people are putting them in the lead and still not writing them well. I honestly think a lot of people don't know how to write women as humans, which says a lot about how women are viewed in general.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Went to see the movie and it have like 15 people on saturday. I thought I walked into the wrong showing.

Sad thing is this is the movie they re introduce
maul
in...:beli:

Movie was bad tho, the ending was the saving grace. 5/10

KillerB88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ATL - Cleveland Ave.
:ohhh: It's almost like you're saying male characters are written like human beings......

There's so many levels to what you're saying right now. lol. This is my problem. When females were being sidelined and minimized, they weren't really fleshed out or written well. Now people are putting them in the lead and still not writing them well. I honestly think a lot of people don't know how to write women as humans, which says a lot about how women are viewed in general.
A poster above me listed several strong female leads from the 80s/90s/00s who were allowed to be flawed. That's no longer the case.

KillerB88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ATL - Cleveland Ave.
Went to see the movie and it have like 15 people on saturday. I thought I walked into the wrong showing.

Sad thing is this is the movie they re introduce
maul
in...:beli:

Movie was bad tho, the ending was the saving grace. 5/10
Man, are you serious? Im def not going to see Solo now. I think I'm done with the franchise. The magic is gone.

Da Rhythm Rebel

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Strong Island
1st SW movie I did not see opening night, but saw it the following day.

Rough beginning for sure but ultimately found it's footing and was very entertaining. Opie saved it .Should have had him do the movie from jump.

That being said enough with these prequel type movies in this universe .