Han Solo: A Star Wars Story [Official Thread] (2018)

DosCadenaz

Superstar
Daps
Solid film. Like it on par with rogue one but not more than TLJ or TFA.

taker597

Superstar
Daps
I didn't care for the different take on Han being that he had a different accent, tone, and slightly different personality that hasn't completely transition to ANH Solo.

But I thoroughly enjoyed the callbacks, fan service, and all the supporting character did good job with lackluster material except for Clark... Who is still living off her fame from GOT and not exactly a great actress with any range for film.

It was a solid 6/10...Terrible writing. Predictable and uneventful. Written by people that has no idea how to craft a meaningful star wars story. Just your run of the mill action movie with star war label factory printed on to make a quick buck.

THEN the sequel baiting happened.

This is the exact sequel bait...

Tatooine
Jabba The Hut
Darth Maul
Another Heist

Which also probably brings in Ben Kenobi, Bobba Fett, and other characters. I would say that is a fukking blockbuster film right there that people fukking want too see.

For a great film... I would be pretty hyped. For a mediocre film that was simply entertaining. It was kind of insulting and ballsy. I enjoy that these side film finally got a sense of direction and maybe an arching storyline. This bullshyt with Disney Stars Wars being so stingy with fan service is getting old. MoviePass is the only reason I've even seen this film.

It's annoying how they gonna roll out such a bleh movie and tease an infinitely more appealing film. Should of just made that film from the start. Don't give me some bullshyt about Solo being conservative film trying to build something up. You don't do that on a bloated 250 million dollar budget mess of a film and $100+ million marketing campaign where the majority of it is hiding film footage to your consumer.

I detest when bad films sequel bait. Support a bad film to get the real film that we all want. fukk that. All this film does is probably kill any chance of a Kenobi film from happening if it under perform.

btw... Rogue One, The Force Awaken, and The Last Jedi has pulled in a collective box office number of over 4 billion dollars. Kat isn't going anywhere unless Episode 9 ends up under a billion dollars. Which it probably pull off since JJ is coming back to right the ship and gain the trust back with the fans.

Dillah810

Flat Girther
Daps
Reppin
Flint, Michigan
Movie was like 7/10 for me. I was actually dozing off in the beginnning, but I liked it more as the story progressed. The worst 3D I've seen, which was pretty disappointing, but the 3D in The Force Awakens and Rogue One was great. Anyone considering to see it in 3D should save their money.

Brehcepticon

Adeptus Brehstartes
Supporter
Daps
The movie was fine and that's the kindest thing I can say about it. Lil Han got shown up by the rest of the cast, Daenerys not withstanding.
Darth Maul showing up was a :dahell: moment. Han turning over a couple hundred million credits to the Rebellion was :wtf:, where'd the scoundrel go, brehs? It was nice to see a movie where the entire galaxy wasn't at stake tho.

qwasi

Rhinestone Cowboy
Daps
This movie is so dead, I didn't know it had been released. At least with the others their respective threads were popping. Reading through this I am reminded once more, Disney jumped the gun with how they handled the EU. Infinity War has shown its possible to show grand feats from characters while retaining the flavor of the story. Starkiller's story is greater than anything which has been put out RN.

Rell84shots

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
Really should delayed this film to August or Winter(Winter has kind of become star war season anyways... ). Somebody at Disney was hella arrogant to think that movie goers wasn't gonna get fatigued after Avengers and Deadpool 2... then Solo in a span of 3 weeks. Including the solid month of April with 3-4 great films including Ready Player One.

Pretty sure Memorial Day Weekend releases haven't been good in a few years too...
I don't think fatigue was a factor, I think word of mouth hurt the film since negative stuff started popping up before the release.

Alpha Male

Spare me your daps
Daps
I actually kinda liked Clarke in this, don’t agree with the criticism.

She was definitely a generic, poorly written character like the rest of them... but I thought she was at least likable in the role.

Acting wise I thought the weakest link was AE as Han, but even he was average and not ‘terrible’.

Last edited:

Black Samurai

Kill or Be Killed
Daps
Reppin
California
I didn't care for the different take on Han being that he had a different accent, tone, and slightly different personality that hasn't completely transition to ANH Solo.

But I thoroughly enjoyed the callbacks, fan service, and all the supporting character did good job with lackluster material except for Clark... Who is still living off her fame from GOT and not exactly a great actress with any range for film.

It was a solid 6/10...Terrible writing. Predictable and uneventful. Written by people that has no idea how to craft a meaningful star wars story. Just your run of the mill action movie with star war label factory printed on to make a quick buck.

THEN the sequel baiting happened.

This is the exact sequel bait...

Tatooine
Jabba The Hut
Darth Maul
Another Heist

Which also probably brings in Ben Kenobi, Bobba Fett, and other characters. I would say that is a fukking blockbuster film right there that people fukking want too see.

For a great film... I would be pretty hyped. For a mediocre film that was simply entertaining. It was kind of insulting and ballsy. I enjoy that these side film finally got a sense of direction and maybe an arching storyline. This bullshyt with Disney Stars Wars being so stingy with fan service is getting old. MoviePass is the only reason I've even seen this film.

It's annoying how they gonna roll out such a bleh movie and tease an infinitely more appealing film. Should of just made that film from the start. Don't give me some bullshyt about Solo being conservative film trying to build something up. You don't do that on a bloated 250 million dollar budget mess of a film and $100+ million marketing campaign where the majority of it is hiding film footage to your consumer.

I detest when bad films sequel bait. Support a bad film to get the real film that we all want. fukk that. All this film does is probably kill any chance of a Kenobi film from happening if it under perform.

btw... Rogue One, The Force Awaken, and The Last Jedi has pulled in a collective box office number of over 4 billion dollars. Kat isn't going anywhere unless Episode 9 ends up under a billion dollars. Which it probably pull off since JJ is coming back to right the ship and gain the trust back with the fans.

I don't get how Emilia Clark's acting from Game of Thrones doesn't seem to translate well to movies. Makes me wonder about her career going forward.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
So my girl basically FORCED me to see this last night (she saw Black Panther with me 4 of the 10 times i watched it in theaters so I owed her one)

Keep in mind, this is the FIRST Star Wars movie i’ve seen since Force Awakens. I swore off Star Wars forever after they had the audacity to make Finn a walking minstrel show. So no Last Jedi, Or Rogue One for me...

Having said all that this was actually decent. Definitely not the trainwreck all the behind the scenes drama suggested it would be. Its certainly generic and predictable but it has charm and adventure. Kind of reminds me of something like National Treasure in space. A fun, silly summer movie that the whole family can enjoy.

Donald Glover was the BEST part of the movie. This guy is a Star of stars. His Lando was everything you remember about the best parts of Billy Dee Williams lando. If they would’ve made this a Lando movie it would’ve been ten times better and more successful.

The dude who plays Han was decent. He had big shoes to fill and you can tell that he’s giving it his all. He has good chemistry with Lando and Beckett but there’s very little “scoundrel” to him. And there’s nothing in his performance that suggests he’s conflicted about living the life of an outlaw vs being a “good guy”.

Emilia Clarke was miscast. She was the weakest part lf the movie. I kept waiting for her to say “Drakaris” everytime she pursed her lips and got that serious look on her face. Again, the main issue is that there’s nothing in her performance to suggest confliction or inner turmoil over what she has become versus how Han views her. Her decision at the end didn’t really make any sense either.

The Kessel Run was dope. Very well filmed and a great action piece. Its one of those moments where if you are in an audience you will hear genuine cheers.

The supporting characters were all dope. Hell the movie probably would’ve been received better if it would’ve been a straight heist movie with Han, the team, and Lando instead of forcing Emilia Clarke and the Resistance into it. All the heist/adventure elements were the best parts. They should’ve themed this as Oceans 11 in Space

Also props need to be given to Ron Howard for being able to pull a decent movie out of the wreckage that Kennedy and Co left him with.

Overall 6.5/10. Worth a ticket if you are a SW fan, a fan of fun Heist movies, or want to see the role that made Donald Glover a superstar.

Last edited:

BobbyBooshay

Arnold Jackson
Daps
Reppin
London
L3 becomes part of the Falcon, that's why it was rude to 3p0 in Empire

:ohhh:

Also one of Voss' Skull he has is from Raiders of the Lost Ark

Daps
The movie was fine and that's the kindest thing I can say about it. Lil Han got shown up by the rest of the cast, Daenerys not withstanding.
Darth Maul showing up was a :dahell: moment. Han turning over a couple hundred million credits to the Rebellion was :wtf:, where'd the scoundrel go, brehs? It was nice to see a movie where the entire galaxy wasn't at stake tho.

It was poor writing, but people aren't remembering that Maul was in charge of the Shadow Collective. Maul being in charge of a larger criminal syndicate was from discarded season 6 stories of Clone Wars which was in turn borrowed from several Darth Maul comics. They had plans to revisit Maul in the seventh season but CW was cancelled. They would have shown the reason behind Palpatine sparing his life in order to put Maul at the top and indirectly control all the criminal organizations.

Maul with his brother, the Pykes, Death Watch (rogue Mandalorians) & Black Sun leader Ziton Moj in the Clone Wars cartoon.
latest

From a Darth Maul comic, before TPM:

Maul: "Do you wish Black Sun destroyed utterly?"
Sidious: "No. One day it might prove useful to me. For now, it must be thrown into disarray so it cannot threaten our designs."

Black Sun emblem:

latest

Shadow Collective emblem:

You see how similar the Crimson Dawn tats are to the emblems above?

Last edited:

ultraflexed

Superstar
Daps
I'm protesting this film

Han didn't need a solo film
Han should never get a solo film before Kenobi

The last jedi was trash, I hate whay they did to Luke's character especially not letting him fight at the end....what a troll move
I hate what they did to finn's character

I thought rougue one was amazing
The force awakens was great
Revenge of the sisth was my favorite
The return of the Jedi was classic

ultraflexed

Superstar
Daps
Really should delayed this film to August or Winter(Winter has kind of become star war season anyways... ). Somebody at Disney was hella arrogant to think that movie goers wasn't gonna get fatigued after Avengers and Deadpool 2... then Solo in a span of 3 weeks. Including the solid month of April with 3-4 great films including Ready Player One.

Pretty sure Memorial Day Weekend releases haven't been good in a few years too...

It's not about fatigue when it comes to star wars, they have massive fan base, the problem is that the last jedi turned alot of people off