Reppin
Bridgeport , CT To Columbia , SC
tumblr_mp8sj2clur1rcirw7o1_250.gif

flo

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The artists I listed have been accused of the very same thing Miley's doing. When Christina Aguilera came out with "Dirrty" she caught the same criticisms that Miley is catching. Remember Redman was called out by Nas for "selling out" for even being on the record.

In regard to a culture they didn't really belong to, why is credibility being given to Haley's comments when she doesn't belong to the culture either. This isn't directed at you, but more so people co-signing her statements. This thread has more views than the one where Tariq is saying she's using Hip Hop culture which is far more accurate. The Coli is being very hypocritical and contradictory with this thread. The same people that claim CACs shouldn't be speaking on a culture they know nothing about is in here co-signing Haley left and right. The same people that will :pacspit: at a Rollingstone review because they hold no merit because they "have no knowledge of the culture" are co-signing Haley for doing the same thing. The difference is Rollingstone just does reviews, Haley is speaking on Black culture. It's a very inaccurate assessment to relate what Miley did with Black culture.

Not even remotely close.

The only criticism was it was too provocative. Had nothing to do with anybody's culture.

Nomad1

Tupac KONY and GOAT
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
:snoop:

so basically you're arguing a completely worthless distinction of semantics :heh:

When someone says some is "acting black" they mean EXACTLY the first thing you're saying...not a soul on earth thinks Miley Cyrus is LITERALLY trying to transform herself into a black woman...no one thinks that Miley Cyrus believes herself to be a fukking wizard with magical powers that grant her the ability to alter her genetics or that she's suffering from a legitimate psychotic delusion...that's kind of the entire point... she's making a conscious and plainly stated effort to co opt elements of American black youth culture, as if she's playing dress up or wearing a costume... as part of an obvious concerted effort on her part to change her image and further her music career..eventually after she grows tired of the novelty of it all, we all know it's gonna get thrown in the bushes
I know what "acting Black" means and that term is ignorant and stupid. The correct way to describe this Miley Drama is; Her constant actions to try to associate herself with Black folk and her humiliating attempt at identifying with what she thinks is Black Culture. So the distinction between acting Black and associating/identifying with Black people/culture are vastly different in it's meaning. So I don't know why you're bringing up wizard powers and what not like it's some Harry Potter film...:russ:

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Not even remotely close.

The only criticism was it was too provocative. Had nothing to do with anybody's culture.

Really? Miley's performance drew comparisons to Aguilera's "Dirrty". One could argue that Aguilera was exploiting Hip Hop and Black culture the same way Miley is. The difference is the era in which Aguilera did it. These days, everybody's reaching for racial and cultural associations when they aren't even present. Crap like Miley twerking is picked out like it's a racial issue when more serious issues even within music are present. Haley's comments on Miley "stealing Black culture" is a much bigger issue and slap in the face than what Miley did.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
And to further my point with the Aguilera comparison:

"I like to shock—I think it's inspiring. I love to play and experiment, to be as tame or as outlandish as I happen to heel on any given day. When you are bold and open, artistically speaking, in music and in video, a whole bunch of people automatically feel threatened by you, especially in Middle America... OK, I may have been the naked-ass girl in the video, but if you look at it carefully, I'm also at the forefront. I'm not just some lame chick in a rap video; I'm in the power position, in complete command of everything and everybody around me. To be totally balls-out like that is, for me, the measure of a true artist."[46][54]

^^^ Christina's response to the controversy surrounding her video. Couldn't one make the same cultural implications about this that they are making about Miley's performance.

Phillyrider807

My Soundtrack is the second “Carter”
Daps
Reppin
215 Uptown!
Haliey Williams is my fukking baby! Loved this chick ever since misery business. "Riot" was a personal classic to me.

ryshy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
newwave
shes right tbh, it reminds me of when hippies took the native american symbols an basically their culture and made it corny, same thing tbh

JahBuhLun

Graphic Alchemist
Daps
So did you not feel anything when you saw Miley on stage with her rent-a-negroes ?
I felt ashamed and sorrow for this current generation of Blacks who are selling out their dignity for a few minutes on TV. Like someone said before, it Miley Cyrus in blackface with modern day sambos and bed wenches.

Digga38

The seperation between what's fake and what's real
Daps
Reppin
Dub-C
In other words, Haley Williams is right.
right about what if acting a fool and twerkin is black culture then black culture is seriously in trouble...

i am actually offended by this talk.....

u idiots just cant see it

JahBuhLun

Graphic Alchemist
Daps
In other words, Haley Williams is right.
not necessarily, because she is trying to attach the trashiness and wack ass dancing to Black culture, she did not parse it or even categorize it and quantify it by saying," some people dance like in the Black community." She was basically making an excuse for Miley Cyrus, giving her an escape route. The old "she's just experimenting with the exotic wild side of life, she'll come back home." That Hayley broad could've easily focused on the dancing and the trashy clothes and the foam finger, the bad attempt at twerking is a very small part of what she is doing, but everyone in the media is blowing it up because it's considered Black debauchery.

• Dap
Reactions: flo

NvrCMyNut

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Not tryna play the semantics game of what is black culture, but twerking is synonymous with black women, it's black culture, love it or hate it, it is...:manny: