Haitian Appreciation Thread

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
WITHOUT GOOGLING

What is your opinion or better yet, understanding of the various red and black flags vs Blue and Red flag? Like what have your parents shared with you about the black and red flag or perhaps some of you were in school in haiti long enough to have reached that stage in Histoire D'Haiti.

I'm asking because i have 2 hoodies with Haitian flags on them. One is the blue and red and the other is the black and red scheme. A haitian friend of mine was visiting from NY and saw them and said he had never seen or heard of the red and black flag. He wasnt born there and knows very little about haiti. Anyway, then he recalled his mom telling him that was the flag under Duvalier. We discussed it at lengh and i was pointing out certain details about the red and black flag and some of the significance of it with the power struggles in Haiti. The red and black was initially introduced by Dessalines. But my father always explained the meaning behind the flag and why it changed back and forth at times. MAINLY, THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE 2ND AND 3RD FLAG BELOW. Another couple of older breh who was friends with my aunt who are on various ends of the political spectrum also shared their insights with me back when i wa little.

So i'm curious to hear what y'all know about this. I know we had discussed it briefly once.

I asked a few relatives about this recently and heard 3 different stories. Because much of our history is oral and passed down orally, I've run into similar discrepancies when discussing events with relatives.

What have you heard about the switch from 2nd and 3rd flag?

Cuban Pete

Aka 305DeadCounty
Daps
Reppin
SOHH ICEY MONOPOLY
My Haitian brehs im trying to bag a lil cutie stewardess thats really from there with the accent and everything :wow:

I think she fron the north too give me something dope to say in creole, reps will be handed out accordingly

Also happy belated haitian flag day, fukk the rona

Mtt

Superstar
Daps
Last edited:

Mtt

Superstar
Daps
My Haitian brehs im trying to bag a lil cutie stewardess thats really from there with the accent and everything :wow:

I think she fron the north too give me something dope to say in creole, reps will be handed out accordingly

Also happy belated haitian flag day, fukk the rona
Cubans travel to Haiti searching for shopping bargains

Katherine Dunham at home in Martissant,Haiti(1962

intruder

SOHH Class of 2003 and CASUAL sports fan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
I asked a few relatives about this recently and heard 3 different stories. Because much of our history is oral and passed down orally, I've run into similar discrepancies when discussing events with relatives.

What have you heard about the switch from 2nd and 3rd flag?
I remember my father and grandfather mentioning this but apparently there is a racial/colorism aspect to it.

According to my father the black and red switching places (Left to right)'s meaning was based on who the people felt should be in control. Remember when you look at a flag, any flag, the pole is going to be on your LEFT-HAND side. This means whoever had a grip on the pole is in control. Now remember Haitians often refer to mulattos as "moun rouge" aka red people. It's just a reference to their skin color just as black people here call light-skinned people "red". So Dessalines strategically placed the black half on the pole side to express his desire that the 95%+ of the population whom is blacks should always be in the position to lead.

Dessalines
Flag from 1804 - 1806

1.png

Dessalines
Flag from 1806 - 1811

ht-1811.gif

Henri Christophe (mulatto)
Flag from 1811 - 1820

Flag_of_Haiti_%281814%E2%80%931820%29.gif

Duvalier
Flag from 1964–1986

ht-gv64.gif

Last edited:

intruder

SOHH Class of 2003 and CASUAL sports fan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
A@Get These Nets , while much of our history is orally passed down just like any other culture, We do have haitian history books too, breh. I know because i had to learn the shyt by heart when growing up in Haiti. Learn that shyt and then recite it word for word 2 to 3 times a week in class as they did in the old days. Also visit the musee de Pantheon in Haiti when you have a minute in port au Prince. I think there is another Museum in Port-De-Paix for the northern perspective of our history. THese museeums havent been maintained like they should due to lack of funding but they are still there.

Musée du Panthéon, PAP
Gy3XdLnUXW1oNoQQvxjWrz5moEg_wDGMcGYPvmHWL7BNJ0_FgkLqv9nQ1w8tqsBPWoMtIC-XG4vZnOuhdhDKR1GejtJ8xPWrhTsbEARvLxQrWCniZzI

6a6fdc3d655b31f5f1bf82dd92edd5e2.jpg

haiti-port-au-prince-muphana-museum-of-haitian-national-pantheon-all-G1BDK5.jpg

csm_mupanah1mod-min_cfcb7ecca1.jpg

Last edited:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
I remember my father and grandfather mentioning this but apparently there is a racial/colorism aspect to it.

According to my father the black and red switching places (Left to right)'s meaning was based on who the people felt should be in control. Remember when you look at a flag, any flag, the pole is going to be on your LEFT-HAND side. This means whoever had a grip on the pole is in control. Now remember Haitians often refer to mulattos as "moun rouge" aka red people. It's just a reference to their skin color just as black people here call light-skinned people "red". So Dessalines strategically placed the black half on the pole side to express his desire that the 95%+ of the population whom is blacks should always be in the position to lead.

Dessalines
Flag from 1804 - 1806

1.png

Dessalines
Flag from 1806 - 1811

ht-1811.gif

Henri Christophe
Flag from 1811 - 1820

Flag_of_Haiti_%281814%E2%80%931820%29.gif

Duvalier
Flag from 1964–1986

ht-gv64.gif
thanks, but this is where the discrepancy came when I was discussing this with relatives

the country split between Black dominated North and Mulatto dominated South in the era of the 3rd flag

Why would Christophe alter Dessalines' subtle arrangement of the flag, especially in the Black dominated North?

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
A@Get These Nets , while much of our history is orally passed down just like any other culture, We do have haitian history books too, breh. I know because i had to learn the shyt by heart when growing up in Haiti. Learn that shyt and then recite it word for word 2 to 3 times a week in class as they did in the old days. Also visit the musee de Pantheon in Haiti when you have a minute in port au Prince. I think there is another Museum in Port-De-Paix for the northern perspective of our history. THese museeums havent been maintained like they should due to lack of funding but they are still there.

Musée du Panthéon, PAP
Gy3XdLnUXW1oNoQQvxjWrz5moEg_wDGMcGYPvmHWL7BNJ0_FgkLqv9nQ1w8tqsBPWoMtIC-XG4vZnOuhdhDKR1GejtJ8xPWrhTsbEARvLxQrWCniZzI

6a6fdc3d655b31f5f1bf82dd92edd5e2.jpg

haiti-port-au-prince-muphana-museum-of-haitian-national-pantheon-all-G1BDK5.jpg

csm_mupanah1mod-min_cfcb7ecca1.jpg
Thanks. What I was getting at was that growing up in the diaspora in America, I got most of my history from my father telling me things.My father, from Au Cap, had received the formal education to know and explain that history, but he was always working.
I had to dig for books from Black scholars to fill in the blanks. I've written here before that my first introduction to written history about Haiti was from American writer Zora Neale Hurston. I then discovered works by Haitian American/Canadian scholars that gave me a better understanding of the history.
When I try to talk about history with my older relatives, it's a lot of "Mwen te tande".
Not being able to read French well enough stunted my ability to learn Haitian history as a kid.

Mtt

Superstar
Daps
Home » Entertainment » What to Binge-Watch During the Pandemic: Part 1
Entertainment haitiantimes.com

What To Binge-Watch During The Pandemic: Part 1

By Ella Turenne and Martine Jean

Fanm on Films
Fanm on Films is a podcast that highlights the work of Haitian creatives in film and television. We started the show because we thought it was important to elevate this content. With that in mind, on April 24th, we posted a list of Haitian movies on Amazon on our social media pages.

• 5449AA30-F15B-4FCE-B57B-0E23E4B0FAF8.jpeg
There is so much content out there right now! It’s hard to decide what to watch while home sheltering in place during the coronavirus pandemic. Don’t worry! The ladies at Fanm on Films have got you covered. We’ve put together an even bigger list to help you find content made by and starring Haitians and Haitian Americans. Let’s start with Netflix and Amazon Prime!

On Netflix

JEzebelChocolate CityThe CEOUncorkedThe CircleAlways Be My Maybe On Amazon

Stones in the SunKafouAbusedBarikadMarried MenCafe Au LaitForever YoursGhosts of Cité SoleilThe AgronomistHaitian Jack SpeaksLumumbaAyiti, Mon AmourLa Belle Vie: The Good LifeLakayCousinesWhen the Drum is BeatingA Miami Love StoryEavesdropping on SoulsHaiti UntoldEnpresyonI Love You AnneWe Love You AnneThe Road to FondwaAristide and the Endless RevolutionChildren of the ShadowsLunise RAMCristo Rey
As you can see, Haitians are representing on the small screen! If you’re still having trouble deciding what to watch, we’re going to help you break it down. Here are some highlights from our list.

On Netflix

Jezebel

Director Numa Perrier also stars in her feature film debut. Jezebel is an intimate look at the world of the cam girls of the 90s. The film portrays the bond between two sisters in Las Vegas and the path they each choose. Jezebel is a study of multidimensional sex workers who take control of their own narrative and have agency over their own bodies. The film is based on the filmmaker’s true story.

Chocolate City

A movie made by Haitian director Jean-Claude La Marre in which he has a cameo, “Chocolate City” is set in a strip club of the same name and revolves around the male strippers keeping the ladies hot.

The CEO

Nigerian director Kunle Afoyalan is at the helm of this thriller starring Jimmy Jean-Louis. The film is about a group of high powered executives summoned to a retreat where they believe they will choose their next CEO, but suddenly find themselves in a fight for their lives.

The Circle

Comedian Michelle Buteau hosts this reality series that is a social experiment and competition where online players befriend, scheme, flirt, and catfish their way toward a $100,000 prize.

On Amazon Prime

Stones in The Sun

There’s a Haitian saying that goes “Woch nan dlo, pa konnenmize woch nan soley.” Author Edwidge Danticat stars alongside Michel Marcellin in this story of Haitian immigrants in exile in New York who have to confront their past head on.

Kafou

Bruno Moura, Gilbert Mirambeau and Jasmuel Adris teamed up for this riotous journey through the hoods of Port-au-Prince. Kafou takes you on a wild ride with two low level vakabontasked with making a delivery. Beyond the hijinks, Kafoureveals the true criminals who use the poor as puppets and pull the strings from their mansions. We reviewed this film on Season 2, Episode 1.

Abused

Tutu Desmosthenes returns with a sordid tale of love, lust and violence. “Abused” is the story of a love triangle gone wrong. It explores issues of infidelity, obsession and most importantly, it illuminates the issue of vyolans sou fanm nan kominote a (violence against women in the community).

Barikad

Richard Senecal’s classic film stands the test of time and exposes the class system that continues to divide Haiti. Young Fabienne Colas and Handy Tibert shine as star crossed lovers whose romance is doomed from the start. We spoke to Richard Senecal and reviewed the film on Season 2, Episode 6.

Married Men

Robinson Lauvince skillfully directs this story centering three couples and the trials and tribulations of their respective marriages.

Lumumba

The legendary Raoul Peck directs this feature film about Patrice Lumumba in the months before and after Congo-Léopoldville achieved independence from Belgium in June 1960.

Ayiti, Mon Amour

Guetty Felin’s feature film debut is literal poetry on screen. A captivating film that delves into what makes the familiar feel foreign, what makes a place a home, and love of each other, love of the land, love of the ocean. “Ayiti, Mon Amour” was Haiti’s first-ever Oscar submission. Our interview with Guetty is coming soon!

La Belle Vie: The Good Life

Rachelle Salnave’s documentary finds her returning home to Haiti to get a deeper understanding of her family’s history. Instead, she finds herself, and comes out with a new definition of HER “La Belle Vie.” We interviewed Rachelle Salnave on Season 5, Episode 2.

The Agronomist

Directed by Jonathan Demme, this documentary is a tribute to the late Jean Dominique, a Haitian who studied to be an agronomist but is remembered for his activism through his radio-station and impassioned on-air critiques of the government.

Cousines

Do you know how many movies Richard Senecal, one of the godfather’s of Haitian cinema has on Amazon Prime? We counted at least 3! “Cousines” is about a young woman living with relatives in Port-au-Prince as her father supports her while abroad. Her world falls apart when her father dies in the U.S. and she is left to fend to fend for herself. As with many of Richard Senecal’s movies, social issues are at the forefront of this film.

When the Drum is Beating

If you love classic Haitian music this is the film for you! A documentary about one of Haiti’s oldest and most loved bands Septentrional, the film follows one of the band leaders, Ulric Pierre-Louis. A story of struggle and resilience, the documentary takes a candid look at Haitian’s past through music.

A Miami Love Story

A thrilling ride about the divide between Haitians and Dominicans on the streets of Miami. An adaptation of the classic love story of Romeo and Juliet, this film delves into the choices people make between their hearts and their communities.

Forever Yours

Filmmaker Patrick Ulysee debuts his feature film that tells a love story about finding true love at the wrong time. Fanm on Films co-host Ella Turenne makes a cameo in the film!

Eavesdropping on Soul

“Eavesdropping on Soul” takes a captivating look at the rich legacy of visual art in Haiti.

I Love You Anne & We Love You Anne

A classic Haitian film, “I Love and Anne” and its sequel, “We Love You Anne” star comedian Tonton Bichat and actress Nice Simone in a love story about twisted fates.

Enpresyon

Prolific filmmaker Patrick Jerome also has a number of projects on Amazon Prime. Of note is “Enpresyon,” a story about a young woman who is conflicted about accepting a marriage proposal and must make the right decision for herself and her family.

Stay tuned for our selection of Haitian projects from Youtubeand Vimeo…

www.fanmonfilms.com

Twitter, Facebook and Instagram: @FanmonFilms

Find us on iTunes, iHeartRadio, Google Play, and Spotify

Follow the ladies of Fanm on Films

Ella Turenne @blackwomyn

Martine Jean @melangemedia

Mega

Superstar
Daps
I really enjoyed going to the Musée du Panthéon. I just hated that it was only one level and quite small.
It would be great if the Haitian government would invest in updating and expanding it.
But we already know how that goes.:snoop:

• Dap
Reactions: Mtt