Haitian Appreciation Thread

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
I went to one as a teenager when I lived in Haiti. It was one of our neighbors who was a Manbo and was hosting a ceremony. shyt was wild and beautiful at the same time. :blessed:
I couldnt stay til the end because while i was there i saw my dad's truck drive by and he would have killed me if he knew i went.

People despise it for many reasons. Some of it is Christianity. Some of it is ignorance. Some of it it evil shyt some vodouyizans do and people blame the entire religion. I know that's the case for my dad. I know there were stories of some young girls dying in the 1920s and 1940s and people blaming vodouyizans for killing them as a sacrifices or to make them into zombies or whatever. It turns out it wasn't true but you know how people are. They had already drank the Kool-aid and there was no stopping that train.

Many of the most famous female haitian artists from back in the days were vodouyizans and proud of it and all their music reflect it. People like Lumane Casimir ans Carole Demesmin. Tho it's advertised as folklore. Carole is like 80 y/o now but I still love her music

Carole Demesmin

artworks-000073570636-5flhi4-t500x500.jpg

Lumane Casimir

artworks-000465389535-bghpea-t500x500.jpg

Lumane Casimir is the original singer of "Papa ghédé" which was then remade by Carole Demesmin in the early 80s and then remade again a few years ago by Naïka. Notice all 3 versions mention Lumane's name in the 2nd sentence of the first verse.

Naïka's version

Carole's version

Don't forget Toto Bissainthe.

intruder

SOHH Class of 2003 and CASUAL sports fan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
Don't forget Toto Bissainthe.

Oh yeah. I forgot about her. Truth is when i first read the name i was like "huh"? THen when i heard the voice it all came back to me.

I used to hear her music but never was into it like that. Tho, (i wanna say) James Germain remade one of her songs and i liked his version better. I think it was James Germain. I could be wrong.

Last edited:

intruder

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
@Jesus is my protector I love R.A.M. so Let's not forget Lunise from R.A.M. Their shows be off the chain. Lunise is hilarious!

This is the song that got them in trouble with the Cedras Regime after Aristide's first overthrow. The part that got them in trouble and almost got Richard killed are the words starting around the 2:25 mark. Those opposing the regime noticed the line and kept playing the song to galvanize the people. Didnt sit too well with Cedras and his goons.

intruder

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
Another young Haitian breh making noise is Jeff Pierre. Dude is sick on the drums. Kinda reminds me of Ronald from Haiti Percy band in Montreal. None of them come close to the drummer in R.A.M. of course (can't recall his name right now) but they dope

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
artifact-02.jpg
artifact-01.jpg

February 14, 2020
FBI Art Crime Team Announces the Repatriation of Over 450 Cultural and Historical Artifacts to the Republic of Haiti
The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) Art Crime Team announced today the repatriation of over 450 cultural and historical artifacts to the Republic of Haiti, marking the largest repatriation of art from the United State to Haiti to date. Representatives from the United States Embassy in Port-au-Prince, the United States Department of State Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, Haiti’s Ministry of Culture and Communication, and the Bureau National d’Ethnologie of Haiti joined the FBI Art Crime Team for a repatriation ceremony at the Bureau of Ethnology in Port-au-Prince to return the items.

The 479 Haitian artifacts were discovered in 2014, when the FBI Art Crime Team seized more than 7,000 items from the private collection of an amateur archeologist, Donald Miller, who had likely acquired the items in contravention of state and federal law and international treaties. This was the largest single recovery of culture property in FBI history. Mr. Miller amassed his collection over seven decades from locations around the world and kept it on display in his basement in Waldron, Indiana prior to turning it over to the FBI. Since 2014, the FBI Art Crime Team has been diligently working to identify the rightful home of each item in the seized collection. The repatriation today returns significant historical property, long missing, to the Republic of Haiti.

“The FBI recognizes the significant role artifacts like these play in a culture’s history and identity. We are honored to return these pieces to the people of Haiti,” said Assistant Director Calvin Shivers of the FBI’s Criminal Investigative Division. “The FBI is committed to returning stolen art and other objects of cultural and historical significance to the communities to which they belong.”

The FBI’s work on this case is ongoing. Any official representatives of foreign governments and Native American tribes that would like to determine whether they have a claim to any of the recovered artifacts from the Miller collection are encouraged to contact the Bureau’s art theft program and submit a request via

intruder

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
WITHOUT GOOGLING

What is your opinion or better yet, understanding of the various red and black flags vs Blue and Red flag? Like what have your parents shared with you about the black and red flag or perhaps some of you were in school in haiti long enough to have reached that stage in Histoire D'Haiti.

I'm asking because i have 2 hoodies with Haitian flags on them. One is the blue and red and the other is the black and red scheme. A haitian friend of mine was visiting from NY and saw them and said he had never seen or heard of the red and black flag. He wasnt born there and knows very little about haiti. Anyway, then he recalled his mom telling him that was the flag under Duvalier. We discussed it at lengh and i was pointing out certain details about the red and black flag and some of the significance of it with the power struggles in Haiti. The red and black was initially introduced by Dessalines. But my father always explained the meaning behind the flag and why it changed back and forth at times. MAINLY, THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE 2ND AND 3RD FLAG BELOW. Another couple of older breh who was friends with my aunt who are on various ends of the political spectrum also shared their insights with me back when i wa little.

So i'm curious to hear what y'all know about this. I know we had discussed it briefly once.

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Haitian owned company appeared on Shark Tank last month.

Are the tears cringeworthy? or not?
What do you think of how it was resolved?

lol should I watch this? I cringe every time people cry on shark tank.

Edit: Breh is crying like a bytch while the girl is stone cold. I think the girl has huge potential.

Last edited:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
lol should I watch this? I cringe every time people cry on shark tank.

Edit: Breh is crying like a bytch while the girl is stone cold. I think the girl has huge potential.
Took me multiple times to finish. shyt is a cringe-fest.
Shedding tears & talking about "we let our people down" during a business meeting?
Makes for entertaining TV, I guess and they got close to the agreement that they wanted. shyt was crazy to watch.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
C-658VsXoAo3ovC.jpg

================================================
maxresdefault.jpg

Two Countries Show up to 1936 Olympics With Same Flag

This story has often been compared to two people showing up to the same event unintentionally wearing identical outfits.

A few days prior to the 1936 Summer Olympics‘ opening ceremony in Berlin, Liechtenstein’s Baron Eduard von Falz-Fein was walking through the Olympic Village and noticed that there were two flags there that looked like Liechtenstein’s. It turned out that one was in fact the principality’s, but the other one was Haiti’s. Both of them consisted of a blue top and a red bottom with no adornments on either.

Haiti had been using that flag design since 1849. To clarify, this country did use a coat of arms on its national and military flags, but its civil flag, which is what was used to represent the country in Berlin, did not have that.

In 1921, Liechtenstein had changed its flag from being red on the left and blue on the right to the horizontal design that was brought to the Games in 1936. However, it seemed that nobody had noticed that the Haiti and Liechtenstein flags were identical during the 15-year span from then until the 1936 Olympics. At least nobody noticed it in a manner that resulted in this fact being communicated to either of the governments.

However, that changed once Falz-Fein realized that this was the case as he immediately called government officials in Liechtenstein, pleading with them to change the flag before the opening ceremony. He was informed that this would not be happening.

But an alteration was made within a year. On June 24, 1937, Liechtenstein changed its flag so that it would no longer share the exact same design with another country’s. A prince’s crown was added to the top left corner, the implementation of a suggestion that Falz-Fein had made.
shutterstock-1353753608.jpg

Interestingly, Haiti did not compete at the 1936 Olympics despite taking part in the opening ceremony as the country’s lone representative withdrew before participating. Conversely, 1936 was Liechtenstein’s first participation in the Games; seven athletes from that country took part in athletics, cycling and shooting.

=============================================
@Secure Da Bag @intruder v6.1 @SourPowerStraws
@Samson @Mtt @LeVraiPapi @mson @MidniteJay @kej718 @Fatboi1 @Mega @Soundbwoy @ZoeGod @Dip

Last edited: