Haitian Appreciation Thread

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
I don't think anyone recites that prayer outside of a historical context. Definitely not in school like it was the pledge of allegiance or something. Why do you ask?

I see the chaos in Haiti, the historical fukkery due to the US and foreigners, the "1%" seemingly light-skin or again foreigners. And I just wonder, does anyone go back to the basics and recite (and remember) how the country came to be? What they were actually against?

I've never lived in haiti and the thought just came to me. So I figured I'd ask people who would know.

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I see the chaos in Haiti, the historical fukkery due to the US and foreigners, the "1%" seemingly light-skin or again foreigners. And I just wonder, does anyone go back to the basics and recite (and remember) how the country came to be? What they were actually against?

I've never lived in haiti and the thought just came to me. So I figured I'd ask people who would know.

Recite the prayer for what reason exactly? Turn the country around?

intruder

SOHH Class of 2003 and CASUAL sports fan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
It was another guy white guy who actually lives in Haiti.

Your friends who went to "public school" in Haiti. Did they recite the prayer?
No.

We all learned and sang the National anthem (La Dessalinienne) every morning before class at my school. No boukman prayer. I dont recall hearing of any other schools reciting it either. Most of my friends were at school at Canado, College Bird, Lycee Antenor Firmin, College Marianne, etc. I'm sure i know people from some of the public schools in Haiti on my neighborhood but but i dont recall which ones. I grew up in Carrefour and i dont remember the name of the state school there. Didnt have many friends when i lived in Delmas.

I went to the following schools. See 6 pics below:
  • Turian (Kindergarden)
  • Saint-Louis De Gonzagues (12ème to 5ème which is like 1st to 8th grade here)
  • Centre D'etude Secondaires (4ème which is like 9th grade here)

Last edited:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Murphy nominates Fabiana Pierre-Louis to NJ Supreme Court in historic choice

ed9fbbce-486f-4082-bfc4-db123e9e2479-Pierre-Louis_Fabiana_July2019.jpg

June 5, 2020

Gov. Phil Murphy plans to nominate a South Jersey lawyer and former federal prosecutor to the state Supreme Court who, if confirmed, would become the first black woman to sit on the high court.

The appointment of Fabiana Pierre-Louis would also shift the gender balance of the seven-member court, from five men and two women to four men and three women. If confirmed by the Senate, Pierre-Louis would replace Walter Timpone, who will reach the mandatory retirement age of 70 in November.

Pierre-Louis, the daughter of Haitian immigrants, is Murphy's first Supreme Court appointment. He has made it a priority to elevate minorities and woman in his administration, and has assembled the most diverse Cabinet in state history. And the courts, he said, must reflect the state's diversity.

"Justice cannot be blind if those who sit on our highest and most powerful bench are not surrounded by colleagues who encompass the full range of the American experience, whether it be racially, or generationally, or both," Murphy said in an announcement Friday at the Trenton War Memorial.

He added that his office's search for an associate justice was long and exhaustive, and that Pierre-Louis's selection was not prompted by the current national discussion about race and systemic bias.

Lt. Gov. Sheila Oliver, however, referred to the "unprecedented" moment in history, where "the pain of years of systemic racism is finally being addressed."

"We will have a justice on our Supreme Court whose lived experience will educate her peers on the bench of our highest court as they grapple with these issues," said Oliver, the state's first black lieutenant governor.

• Dap
Reactions: Mtt

Mtt

Superstar
Daps
Platform dedicated to highlighting and uplifting contemporary artists of Haitian descent and the Diaspora. @artxayiti

Mtt

Superstar
Daps

SUBSCRIBE NOW SIGN IN

Home » Latest News » Haitians embrace Black Lives Matter, join protests for justice, police accountability
Latest News, New York
Haitians Embrace Black Lives Matter, Join Protests For Justice, Police Accountability

By Sam Bojarski and Vania Andre

Whether in Haiti or the United States, Haitians are no strangers to protesting injustice.

Najela Drice, a Haitian-American woman who lives in Harlem, has been involved in Black Lives Matter since 2013 and marched this past weekend to protest the death of George Floyd at the hands of Minneapolis police.

“I have seen changes through marches while living in Haiti, and it’s something I’ve done with my parents, it’s important for voices to be heard. But I do feel a global consciousness, a global connectivity with black people,” said Drice, who is in her mid-30s.

BLM-Protest_Grand-Army-Plaza-Flatbush_June-2020_VA-13-2.jpg

Protesters in Grand Army Plaza demand justice for George Floyd. Photo credit: Vania Andre

Over the last 50 years or so that Haitians have been settling in the U.S., they have in many ways formed their own identity, exemplified in the distinct Creole language and the numerous Haitian businesses and churches throughout central Brooklyn, southeast Queens and beyond. Yet the Haitian-American experience is closely tied with that of African-Americans, and Haitians are playing an active role in the George Floyd protests and the larger Black Lives Matter movement.

“We have a long history of protesting injustices, especially with respect to the Patrick Dorismond and Abner Louima incident with the police,” said Josue Pierre, in reference to two Haitians who have been victims of police violence in New York City. Pierre, a Haitian-American, is running to represent New York’s 40th City Council District in the 2021 election

Pierre himself has led groups of friends and volunteers, who have marched at several protests throughout the city.

“We’re very much interwoven,” Pierre said about Haitians at the protests. “While I’m at the protests, I’ve heard people chanting in Creole. It’s not like we’ve taken it upon ourselves to say ‘this is ours,’ as much as we’ve taken it upon ourselves to say, ‘we are part of this.’”

blm-grand-army.jpg

The Haitian flag at a protest for George Floyd in Grand Army Plaza. Photo credit: Vania Andre

During the past several decades, Haitians have experienced discrimination and the problem of police brutality in much the same way as African-Americans. In 1997, Haitian immigrant Abner Louima was beaten and later sodomized by New York City police, after officers responded to a fight outside a Brooklyn nightclub. In 2000, Patrick Dorismond was shot and killed outside a Manhattan bar by an undercover police officer, during a scuffle with three undercover narcotics detectives. Dorismond was unarmed.

Haitians in New York organized protests to decry police violence in both instances.

In addition, Haitians have been victims of other forms of discrimination. In the early 1980s, for example, Haitians were labeled “AIDS carriers” by much of the public, after the CDC designated Haitians as a high-risk group. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) later forbade Haitians from donating blood, a ban that has since been revoked in the face of protests.

Historically, being black has meant different things for Haitians and African-Americans, despite the two groups sharing many of the same experiences in America.

BLM-Protest_Grand-Army-Plaza-Flatbush_June-2020_VA-8-2-min-1.jpg

A protester holds a sign showing Haiti’s solidarity with other black Americans. Photo credit: Vania Andre

For reasons that date back to Haiti’s successful revolution and the establishment of the world’s first black republic in 1804, being black has never meant inferiority or invisibility, as Flore Zephir articulated in her 2004 book, “The Haitian Americans.” Rather, Zephir also wrote, their race is the symbol of a glorious past that led to freedom, nationhood and even equality with whites.

“African-Americans here have been conditioned to be ashamed about their blackness and about their desire to be equal, so there’s a conditioning here to accept the status quo that I feel the black immigrant population is kind of like, having a positive impact on,” Drice said.

She added that different black communities coming together through the recent protests serves as a healing process