Haitian Appreciation Thread

intruder

SOHH Class of 2003 and CASUAL sports fan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
My aunts are into it. They occasionally go to what we call "dans" up here in jersey and in Haiti. My Mom/grandma don't.
Into what? What's "it"?

If you quoted someone in not seeing it. Could be someone I have in ignore

intruder

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
Even though I am not a practitioner my favorite part about Haitian culture is the beauty of Vodou. Yea many Haitians have pride in the Haitian revolution(I do too) but when you study the different Loas you find out they each have their own characteraztion and I find them RICHER than any Norse, Greek, Egyptian, Ameridian, etc pantheon but difference is that they're actually taken seriously and survived. Me coming from a Christian background on BOTH my Haitian and ADOS side my family is very anti-Vodou. Ezili Dantor and Bawon Samedi are my favorite Loas but.... Both are ruthless af especially the latter.
My mom's family are hardcore Christians. But like most Christians in Haiti it's safe to assume they'll run back to/embrace loas when it's convenient to them. Again, I'm just assuming. I don't know this for a fact.

While my dad himself (R.I.P) despised vodou, most of his family are neck deep in it even tho they don't advertise it. I realized this when I visited my cousin (his niece) many many years ago in Camp Perrin. Something she did in front of the kav (above ground tomb or mausoleum) of our grandparents.
My mom was like...:picard:. I'm looking at it like...:lupe::lolbron: While homegirl (cousin) looking back at us like... :youngsabo:

As for me I admire the culture and respect it but don't partake in any religious practices (Christian, vodou or any other). Some think I do because I love and play their music at home a lot and have many Facebook "friends" who are manbos and hougans I follow just to see ceremonies videos. I also join vodou Facebook groups (nou see vodouyizan, société Makaya, société jambe malè,etc) that show ceremonies and discuss vodou. This chick in New York I'm trying to fuvk is a manbo. This other one (also in NY) who flirts with me sometime's Facebook name is " <first name>Manbo lakou" along with her first name. Both her and her cute ass friend from VA (cutie big R.A.M. fan) are manbos and be flirting with me thinking I won't come up there and put raw dikk in both of'em for real.

Edit: Also, my sister practices.

Last edited:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
My mom's family are hardcore Christians. But like most Christians in Haiti it's safe to assume they'll run back to/embrace loas when it's convenient to them. Again, I'm just assuming. I don't know this for a fact.

While my dad himself (R.I.P) despised vodou, most of his family are neck deep in it even tho they don't advertise it. I realized this when I visited my cousin (his niece) many many years ago in Camp Perrin. Something she did in front of the kav (above ground tomb or mausoleum) of our grandparents.
My mom was like...:picard:. I'm looking at it like...:lupe::lolbron: While homegirl (cousin) looking back at us like... :youngsabo:

As for me I admire the culture and respect it but don't partake in any religious practices (Christian, vodou or any other). Some think I do because I love and play their music at home a lot and have many Facebook "friends" who are manbos and hougans I follow just to see ceremonies videos. I also join vodou Facebook groups (nou see vodouyizan, société Makaya, société jambe malè,etc) that show ceremonies and discuss vodou. This chick in New York I'm trying to fuvk is a manbo. This other one (also in NY) who flirts with me sometime's Facebook name is " <first name>Manbo lakou" along with her first name. Both her and her cute ass friend from VA (cutie big R.A.M. fan) be flirting with me thinking I won't come up there and put raw dikk in both of'em for real.

I wonder why some Haitians despise it? Is it because they grew up getting a false idea of it without actually learning/knowing what it actually is? I've been in a voudou ceremony before and all it was was the main person chanting, dancing and occasionally putting something on you like spitting liquor into a crowd or making you pass your hand on a fire or something. The one part that was :whoa: to me was them killing a bull at the end.

intruder

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
I wonder why some Haitians despise it? Is it because they grew up getting a false idea of it without actually learning/knowing what it actually is? I've been in a voudou ceremony before and all it was was the main person chanting, dancing and occasionally putting something on you like spitting liquor into a crowd or making you pass your hand on a fire or something. The one part that was :whoa: to me was them killing a bull at the end.

I went to one as a teenager when I lived in Haiti. It was one of our neighbors who was a Manbo and was hosting a ceremony. shyt was wild and beautiful at the same time. :blessed:
I couldnt stay til the end because while i was there i saw my dad's truck drive by and he would have killed me if he knew i went.

People despise it for many reasons. Some of it is Christianity. Some of it is ignorance. Some of it it evil shyt some vodouyizans do and people blame the entire religion. I know that's the case for my dad. I know there were stories of some young girls dying in the 1920s and 1940s and people blaming vodouyizans for killing them as a sacrifices or to make them into zombies or whatever. It turns out it wasn't true but you know how people are. They had already drank the Kool-aid and there was no stopping that train.

Many of the most famous female haitian artists from back in the days were vodouyizans and proud of it and all their music reflect it. People like Lumane Casimir ans Carole Demesmin. Tho it's advertised as folklore. Carole is like 80 y/o now but I still love her music

Carole Demesmin

artworks-000073570636-5flhi4-t500x500.jpg

Lumane Casimir

artworks-000465389535-bghpea-t500x500.jpg

Lumane Casimir is the original singer of "Papa ghédé" which was then remade by Carole Demesmin in the early 80s and then remade again a few years ago by Naïka. Notice all 3 versions mention Lumane's name in the 2nd sentence of the first verse.

Naïka's version

Carole's version

Last edited:

intruder

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
@Fatboi1 I edited

Also, some say "Plezi mizè "by Emeline Michel is a remake of a Lumane song tho ive never heard the original

One of my favorite jams from Emeline

Last edited:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
People despise it for many reasons. Some of it is Christianity. Some of it is ignorance. Some of it it evil shyt some vodouyizans do and people blame the entire religion. I know that's the case for my dad. I know there were stories of some young girls dying in the 1920s and 1940s and people blaming vodouyizans for killing them as a sacrifices or to make them into zombies or whatever. It turns out it wasn't true but you know how people are. They had already drank the Kool-aid and there was no stopping that train.
What I was trying to get at earlier was the effect that personal experiences with practitioners have on people. Person who says that a person from previous generation (Haitian born or part of Haitian community) doesn't have experience or info about Vodou is not keeping it 100. That person would have a relative ,friend or neighbor who followed or practiced it. They might have a limited or skewed view of what it means and would judge the faith based on that.

I have 6 different relatives who said that after living around neighbors their ENTIRE lives in Haiti , that these same people buried things in front of their homes when they learned that my relaitves had gotten visas to enter US,Canada, or France.

People's run ins or personal experiences with practitioners are generally along negative lines. They never see the positive aspects of it, and associate it with negativity.

intruder

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
What I was trying to get at earlier was the effect that personal experiences with practitioners have on people. Person who says that a person from previous generation (Haitian born or part of Haitian community) doesn't have experience or info about Vodou is not keeping it 100. That person would have a relative ,friend or neighbor who followed or practiced it. They might have a limited or skewed view of what it means and would judge the faith based on that.

I have 6 different relatives who said that after living around neighbors their ENTIRE lives in Haiti , that these same people buried things in front of their homes when they learned that my relaitves had gotten visas to enter US,Canada, or France.

People's run ins or personal experiences with practitioners are generally along negative lines. They never see the positive aspects of it, and associate it with negativity.
I hear you. I believe it's the same with my dad. He forbade us from associating with anyone who practiced. "Dont even say good morning" as he used to say. Two of the nearby corner stores near our neighborhood in Carrefour were owned by people who practice. I wasnt even allowed to go there and buy batteries or anything, period. That's because he had accused one of them of trying to do something to my mom when he first moved into the neighborhood and eventually bought 3 properties near these stores. Apparently that sparked some jealousy. But we see christians do the same , tho,

Mega

Superstar
Daps

Exactly. I never understood the hate. My grandfather is a hougan.
As a kid I would visit his Peristyle and watch as they sang, danced, and passed around Kleren.
Nothing serious to me. Just another form of religion:yeshrug:

Last edited:

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)

As for me I admire the culture and respect it but don't partake in any religious practices (Christian, vodou or any other). Some think I do because I love and play their music at home a lot and have many Facebook "friends" who are manbos and hougans I follow just to see ceremonies videos. I also join vodou Facebook groups (nou see vodouyizan, société Makaya, société jambe malè,etc) that show ceremonies and discuss vodou. This chick in New York I'm trying to fuvk is a manbo. This other one (also in NY) who flirts with me sometime's Facebook name is " <first name>Manbo lakou" along with her first name. Both her and her cute ass friend from VA (cutie big R.A.M. fan) are manbos and be flirting with me thinking I won't come up there and put raw dikk in both of'em for real.

Interesting!:ehh: And repped.