Haitian Appreciation Thread

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Hurby lives in Haiti. I met him at a car show in Petionville. He tried to bring that Nicki Minaj element to Haiti with an Artist he discovered named Shassy.
:mjlol:

I grew up as hip hop expanded outside of the region it started from. When people outside of NY were imitating what NY was doing, their music sounded horrible. When they started being themselves and adding their own distinct spin on it, that's when they started making better music.

Same thing with Haitian hip hop acts. Both songs sound like Kreyol imitations of American rap songs.

Even the Fugees, their first album was TERRIBLE , when they got into their own comfort zone and became themselves.......the JERSEY African American style of Lauryn + the Haitian American Jersey style of Wyclef came through and the music was much better.

Influence is one thing, but imitation is something else .
Wyclef bit Shinehead's style a bit, but not enough people knew about Shinehead to notice, hahahahhaha

That first vid is what i dont like. Sometimes they push it so much where we get away from our identity and completely giving into the foreign.

And this isnt just in Haiti.MEDIA is very powerful with its influence. I know @Get These Nets doesnt like when i say this but i just dislike the over americanization of everything haitian these days. I understand in some regions some MEDIA powerhouses will have more influence than others but there has to be a limit. Even in Martinique and Guadeloupe. This is an article i read almost 6 years ago about the "over jamacainization of french-caribbean islands" from a news paper in Martinique.

Give it a peep if you can read french.

L'EXÉCRABLE JAMAÏCANISATION DE LA SOCIÉTÉ MARTINIQUAISE

African American and Jamaican music are the most influential ones worldwide, in my opinion especially among the youth. Others are going to be influenced by those two cultures. The point is to absorb that influence and flip it with your own cultural or individual stamp. Biting or straight copying is where these artists slip up.

I think you mentioned staying in Costa Rica. There were Jamaican migrant workers there decades ago, so I'm sure that Limon area has STRONG Jamaican cultural influence to this day.

I'm assuming that because of Nollywood, Nigerian cultural influence over (English speaking) Africa is huge too, and there is pushback against that.

intruder

SOHH Class of 2003 and CASUAL sports fan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
Ou pa mariye? :pachaha:

Seems like you stay talking about being somewhere different ready to meet up avek yon bagay.
Nah man. Mwen poko bay bag la. Bagay saa twò Cho pou mwen frèm :pachaha:
I ended up staying in Atlanta for May 18th . Was OnCall for work. I did go to Montreal for the fest, tho. It was early in May. Stayed for almost a week. Fun times.

I'll be down in miami tomorrow, tho. Got some family stuff to take care of.

intruder

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
I grew up as hip hop expanded outside of the region it started from. When people outside of NY were imitating what NY was doing, their music sounded horrible. When they started being themselves and adding their own distinct spin on it, that's when they started making better music.

Same thing with Haitian hip hop acts. Both songs sound like Kreyol imitations of American rap songs.

Even the Fugees, their first album was TERRIBLE , when they got into their own comfort zone and became themselves.......the JERSEY African American style of Lauryn + the Haitian American Jersey style of Wyclef came through and the music was much better.

Influence is one thing, but imitation is something else .
Wyclef bit Shinehead's style a bit, but not enough people knew about Shinehead to notice, hahahahhaha

African American and Jamaican music are the most influential ones worldwide, in my opinion especially among the youth. Others are going to be influenced by those two cultures. The point is to absorb that influence and flip it with your own cultural or individual stamp. Biting or straight copying is where these artists slip up.

I think you mentioned staying in Costa Rica. There were Jamaican migrant workers there decades ago, so I'm sure that Limon area has STRONG Jamaican cultural influence to this day.

I'm assuming that because of Nollywood, Nigerian cultural influence over (English speaking) Africa is huge too, and there is pushback against that.
Limon is full of Jamaïcan and Haitian descendents. Tho they are not in great numbers but you will find haitians in San Jose also. I wanna say in the Guagalupe area but I could be a bit off. Been so long that some of the neighborhood names escape me. But yeah there is an area my Costa Rican ex girlfriend took me to and I swear all the small businesses there were haitian-owned. This Haitian cat I became friends with named Auguste lived there. There is a supermarket in the area. Can't recall the name but the haitian chick who owns it is named Rose. Homie Ronald hooked us up and we went to the Limon Carnival together. Was supposed to smash and she was interested...but I linked out.

Am mad I lost touch. With all these people. Ronald was a jerk but the others were cool people's. I still talk to Auguste, tho.

As far as influence the way I look at it is this. They get the most airplay but we both know that their influence canes from various African genres. So when they influence some African tunes who's really influencing who? If my professor teaches me a skill and I get better and teach him a few more tricks based on what he taught me kinda thing. Listen to most drum patterns you hear in almost all music in the world and you'll hear African music at its core. But some mofos wanna do the 'beat ya chest' thing like they coming up with shyt out if thin air and

intruder

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
@Mega , I seen JPerry perform at a caribbean carnival. It was cool but wasnt really feeling it like that :yeshrug:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Limon is full of Jamaïcan and Haitian descendents. Tho they are not in great numbers but you will find haitians in San Jose also. I wanna say in the Guagalupe area but I could be a bit off. Been so long that some of the neighborhood names escape me. But yeah there is an area my Costa Rican ex girlfriend took me to and I swear all the small businesses there were haitian-owned. This Haitian cat I became friends with named Auguste lived there. There is a supermarket in the area. Can't recall the name but the haitian chick who owns it is named Rose. Homie Ronald hooked us up and we went to the Limon Carnival together. Was supposed to smash and she was interested...but I linked out.

Am mad I lost touch. With all these people. Ronald was a jerk but the others were cool people's. I still talk to Auguste, tho.

As far as influence the way I look at it is this. They get the most airplay but we both know that their influence canes from various African genres. So when they influence some African tunes who's really influencing who? If my professor teaches me a skill and I get better and teach him a few more tricks based on what he taught me kinda thing. Listen to most drum patterns you hear in almost all music in the world and you'll hear African music at its core. But some mofos wanna do the 'beat ya chest' thing like they coming up with shyt out if thin air and
I don't get into the "chest beating" either. I'm not sure that many people are well versed or educated enough to have serious discussions about history ...whether it's music history or general history. All they can really do is beat their chests about info they like and ignore info that doesn't support the chest beating. That's not how adults debate, so I just add them to ignore list.

But the facts are facts, African ethnic groups blended cultures in this hemisphere as part of our heritage of enslavement. Hybrid cultures and music genres developed within the slave colonies and then more hybrids developed as those people began to migrate within and between these countries. African American and Jamaican music genres are the most influential globally.

I think cultures of Africans merged and blended, by necessity in this part of the world in ways that haven't/wouldn't/couldn't have happened on the continent. The Vodou practiced in Haiti is most closely associated with the spiritual system in Benin , but it's not entirely the same thing. It has elements of all the other parts of West Africa where the enslaved were from. I feel the same way about music. West Africans will notice some of their own music elements in music from the Americas, but what they are hearing also has elements that are from other groups.

intruder

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
I don't get into the "chest beating" either. I'm not sure that many people are well versed or educated enough to have serious discussions about history ...whether it's music history or general history. All they can really do is beat their chests about info they like and ignore info that doesn't support the chest beating. That's not how adults debate, so I just add them to ignore list.

But the facts are facts, African ethnic groups blended cultures in this hemisphere as part of our heritage of enslavement. Hybrid cultures and music genres developed within the slave colonies and then more hybrids developed as those people began to migrate within and between these countries. African American and Jamaican music genres are the most influential globally.

I think cultures of Africans merged and blended, by necessity in this part of the world in ways that haven't/wouldn't/couldn't have happened on the continent. The Vodou practiced in Haiti is most closely associated with the spiritual system in Benin , but it's not entirely the same thing. It has elements of all the other parts of West Africa where the enslaved were from. I feel the same way about music. West Africans will notice some of their own music elements in music from the Americas, but what they are hearing also has elements that are from other groups.
Of course many cultures have been blended in the process. Haitians version of voodoo culture and danses is a perfect example. Béninois and Togolais will look at our folklore danses ans tell tou there are many different tribes dances that Haitians do but we roll them all into one. This bid is an example. It has elements of Petro, Congo, and Rada all rolled into one show.

Side Note: My 15 y/nieceo is part of that dance group and is one of the girls you see on there

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
That first vid is what i dont like. Sometimes they push it so much where we get away from our identity and completely giving into the foreign.

And this isnt just in Haiti.MEDIA is very powerful with its influence. I know @Get These Nets doesnt like when i say this but i just dislike the over americanization of everything haitian these days. I understand in some regions some MEDIA powerhouses will have more influence than others but there has to be a limit. Even in Martinique and Guadeloupe. This is an article i read almost 6 years ago about the "over jamaicanization of french-caribbean and spanish-caribbean cultures" from a news paper in Martinique.

Give it a peep if you can read french.

L'EXÉCRABLE JAMAÏCANISATION DE LA SOCIÉTÉ MARTINIQUAISE
These martinicans know nothing about Africa or Jamaica
Bunch of wanna be Europeans

intruder

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
These martinicans know nothing about Africa or Jamaica
Bunch of wanna be Europeans
Not true at all. Many Martiniquais I know are hardcore pro Africa. Jocelyne Beroard, the lady from Kassav been preaching and speaking against modern Zouk being almost all in French as opposed to Kreyol. I'll find the video for you when I land. Have they been very integrated into French culture? Yes. But doesn't mean they all reject their african ancestry. As a matter of fact you know damn well many African Americans, many Jamaicans and many Haitians even embrace European culture more than African. Many Jamaïcans will stare you in the face and proudly say 'i am British". And before you argue with me I'm talking about people I I know.

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
Not true at all. Many Martiniquais I know are hardcore pro Africa. Jocelyne Beroard, the lady from Kassav been preaching and speaking against modern Zouk being almost all in French as opposed to Kreyol. I'll find the video for you when I land. Have they been very integrated into French culture? Yes. But doesn't mean they all reject their african ancestry. As a matter of fact you know damn well many African Americans, many Jamaicans and many Haitians even embrace European culture more than African. Many Jamaïcans will stare you in the face and proudly say 'i am British". And before you argue with me I'm talking about people I I know.
Yeah don’t care about some wanna be frenchies

intruder

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
Yeah don’t care about some wanna be frenchies
They are what they are , breh. And truth is they are indeed French citizens. What do you want them to claim? You see many haitians claiming Africa? No. We claim Haiti. 99% of Martiniquans and Guadeloupeans ive come across tell you they are "antillais". Technically that group includes Haiti too. We just never called ourselves Antillais or Caribbean but between the two Haitians claim Antillais way before they'd claim caribbean.

I grew up in Haiti and i didnt become familiar with the word Caribbean until I visited the U.S. for the first time and was told by someone "you're from the Caribbean".

So how do you feel about the AA brehs like the one in the video we had the htread about saying, and i quote: "I dont know about all that Africa shyt. I'm from Detroit" as of to say they they only claim America. You should feel the same about them too since they are only claiming America.
All Jamaicans born before 1964 are British and Jamaican citizens. Some of them be quick to beat their chests and say "i'm british". You hold that against them too?

The point im trying to make is im not gonna claim them for claiming what they know which is their homeland they were born and raised in. THeir homeland just happens to be a Colony. So you expect people from VI to NOT claim America?

Last edited:
  • Dap
Reactions: Mtt

intruder

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
You reaching but continue. @Intruder v3.0

I know MANY Jamaicans and AAs who are pro-Africa especially Jamaicans.
I didnt say they werent. But you know damn fukking well there is a faction that dont and pound and beat their chests about being American/British.
Tell me i'm lying. :sas1:
My point is among every group you will find certain factions who lean one way or another.

intruder

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
And let's mot kid ourselves , @Diasporan Royalty . You know damn well that late 80s early 90s black people in America werent as pro-Africa like that. SOme of them were the same that were laughing at derogatory jokes about africans. Not sayign Haitians didnt do it too because we had some among us whom did. Eddie Murphy "RAW" poking fun at traditional african names other stuff. All the "African booty scratcher" jokes. Nooo those didnt happen. It's all in their heads.
Or all the sudden we all wanna claim the mother land and it's all in the past, huh.:sas1:
I know some of you like to think that im some anti whatever just because i bring up shyt thet DID happen and call out people. But if you wanna say i'm making up shyt, I'm gonna leave this here and you tell me if me and all these people are delusional and making shyt up or reading too much into shyt. I dated a Ugandan woman starting back in 2008 and while she was born here her older sister wasnt so they looked "apart" and they told me their experience living among african-americans was the same as described by the lady below. I already shared my experiences.

So again if @Dip is talking about some me when antantillais who take pride a in their French citizenships and ain't pro-africa, show me again where there was 100% unified pro-africa front among african-Americans or even what i call "city haitians" until more recent times when it became trendy. :smugdraper:

Last edited:
  • Dap
Reactions: Mtt