Happy flag day, what y’all feasting on today :myman:
image3.jpg

intruder

SOHH Class of 2003 and CASUAL sports fan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
I'm noticing modern Haitian artists adopting a more Afrobeat and sometimes trap sound. I fukks wit it.

@Intruder v3.0 @Dip
hmmm... ive noticed some the "madan papa" track the kids be fukking with these days but..

Haitian artists used to always follow more african style tunes. Just not necessarily afrobeat. It's really in the late 90s that it got out of control where them cats started trying to sound more americanized and even started doing a few konpa verses in english. :scust:
Some say this was a business decision to attract new fans abroad with the increased amount of haitian disporas who grew up and were living in the united states. These kids who are born to haitian parents here view their parents culture music and language as inferior or archaic and rejected the culture because lot of them barely understand creole.
Personally i hate the English verses in Konpa music. We should stick to what we know which is kreyol.

But for the longest our music has always been more like that of Benin, Togo, Angola and others. Just not Afrobeat. Some are almost identical as a matter of fact like same exact beat and tunes. One of the most obvious example is Danielle Termidor's rendition of Ami-Oh

Haitian version

Cameroonian version

There is also an Angolan and a Togolais and a Malian version of this same song. Not sure which is the original but it defenitely wasnt the Haitian version

This is her rendition of another very popular Cameroonian song. Cant recall the title of the original

One tracks that i always loooooovvved is this track below by Larose. Everyone knew the lyrics was about a true story (he killed somebody in a car accident). But an older african head i know told me that that same beat was used in an old Angolan track but he believes the Haitian one is the original because the track he was talking about was released in mid 90s. Larose's version came out in 88'

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
hmmm... ive noticed some the "madan papa" track the kids be fukking with these days but..

Haitian artists used to always follow more african style tunes. Just not necessarily afrobeat. It's really in the late 90s that it got out of control where them cats started trying to sound more americanized and even started doing a few konpa verses in english. :scust:
Some say this was a business decision to attract new fans abroad with the increased amount of haitian disporas who grew up and were living in the united states. These kids who are born to haitian parents here view their parents culture music and language as inferior or archaic and rejected the culture because lot of them barely understand creole.
Personally i hate the English verses in Konpa music. We should stick to what we know which is kreyol.

That's due to 2 reasons.....growing influence of South Florida diasporan Haitians (who grew up listening to hip hop as the South became dominant force in that genre)
Deportees from east coast cities (Haitian enclaves) who went back down there speaking mainly English.

I

intruder

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
@Diasporan Royalty

There are also old old oldschool voodoo folk songs that have been remixed using more modern beats. Some of them are cool. One of my favorites remakes is the remakes of nanpwen lavi anko.

This is the original.

Mind you this is a folk song so this is the original RECORDED version. But voodoo folks been singing this songs for hundredS of years at vodou ceremonies so it really doesnt belong to anyone

Koudjay remade it into a carnival track years ago like this

But the someone used it with a house-like beat and came up with this... :banderas:

Last but not least I was in Canada last week and a DJ played a remix of one of my all-time favorite tracks by da gawd Azor (R.I.P) :bow:

This is Azor's version. Imagine that shyt with a dope baseline in the background :lawd:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
@Diasporan Royalty and @Get These Nets

Here's one of the remixes from Azor's tracks. This one was on Soundcloud but this is not the one i was talking about. Still dope, tho. They sampled the Azor track i posted above in it.

sounds great...
the thing is, much like those Haitians I mentioned in the thread above....I grew up here..speaking mainly English.

So when you said Azor, my first thought was not the Haitian musician, but the Haitian American hip hop producer

Herbie Love Bug Azor
cued

Mega

Superstar
Daps

Haitian artists used to always follow more african style tunes. Just not necessarily afrobeat.

The style is called RABODAY

Mega

Superstar
Daps
sounds great...
the thing is, much like those Haitians I mentioned in the thread above....I grew up here..speaking mainly English.

So when you said Azor, my first thought was not the Haitian musician, but the Haitian American hip hop producer

Herbie Love Bug Azor
Hurby lives in Haiti. I met him at a car show in Petionville. He tried to bring that Nicki Minaj element to Haiti with an Artist he discovered named Shassy.
:mjlol:

But this she her thing on this song.

intruder

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
The style is called RABODAY

THe first time i heard this track i laughed my ass off at the lyrics and what it implies. :laff: Sad situation but it's the reality for a lot of these poor young women in the country.

There is another one i heard called "lave latcha'w" which is also hilarious

intruder

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
Hurby lives in Haiti. I met him at a car show in Petionville. He tried to bring that Nicki Minaj element to Haiti with an Artist he discovered named Shassy.
:mjlol:

But this she her thing on this song.
That first vid is what i dont like. Sometimes they push it so much where we get away from our identity and completely giving into the foreign.

And this isnt just in Haiti.MEDIA is very powerful with its influence. I know @Get These Nets doesnt like when i say this but i just dislike the over americanization of everything haitian these days. I understand in some regions some MEDIA powerhouses will have more influence than others but there has to be a limit. Even in Martinique and Guadeloupe. This is an article i read almost 6 years ago about the "over jamaicanization of french-caribbean and spanish-caribbean cultures" from a news paper in Martinique.

Give it a peep if you can read french.

L'EXÉCRABLE JAMAÏCANISATION DE LA SOCIÉTÉ MARTINIQUAISE

Last edited: