Haitian Appreciation Thread

intruder

SOHH Class of 2003 and CASUAL sports fan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
Little Haiti in Miami....for all intents and purposes might as well be Haiti....you could shoot VIDEO there and convince people that it's Haiti.and there's no food you could order that they wouldn't have.
uh... NO.

I lived in Haiti until i was 16. Lived in Miami for 12 years after that. I know little haiti like the back of my hand as we'd say in kreyol. My aunt lived in 47st North Miami Ave for years and even when I was living in Haiti I'd be in that house during summer vacation almost ever year. Little does not look, feel, nor remind me of haiti. All Little Haiti has is a lof of haitians there, period.

The only place I've ever been in the United states that even remotely reminds me of Haiti would be certain poor parts on New Orleans and it's really the architecture thats similar. When I walk down these NO streets it reminds me of the city of Les Cayes (AKA Okaye, my mom's home town) in southern Haiti. Another place I've spent many summers growing up.

Breh, Have you ever lived or been to Haiti? :what:

Last edited:

intruder

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
I think you can gauge cultures from the large ethnic enclaves that exist here. In the tri state alone.....you have perhaps the largest group of DRs outside of DR (Washington Heights)*....
All im saying is you cant get a full picture by looking at those who live in the states :yeshrug:
Using the food example in their restaurants I say that you won't easily find Haitian restaurants that serve Tomtom but it's still a very popular dish in Haiti

Last edited:

King Sun

Big Boss
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
uh... NO.

I lived in Haiti until i was 16. Lived in Miami for 12 years after that. I know little haiti like the back of my hand as we'd say in kreyol. My aunt lived in 47st North Miami Ave for years and even when I was living in Haiti I'd be in that house during summer vacation almost ever year. Little does not look, feel, nor remind me of haiti. All Little Haiti has is a lof of haitians there, period.

The only place I've ever been in the United states that even remotely reminds me of Haiti would be certain poor parts on New Orleans and it's really the architecture thats similar. When I walk down these NO streets it reminds me of the city of Les Cayes (AKA Okaye, my mom's home town) in southern Haiti. Another place I've spent many summers growing up.

Breh, Have you ever lived or been to Haiti? :what:
Wow my dad is from Les cayes too lol

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
All im saying is you cant get a full picture by looking at those who live in the states :yeshrug:
Using the food example in their restaurants I say that you won't easily find Haitian restaurants that serve Tomtom but it's still a very popular dish in Haiti
In a sort of unscientific way...every thread on this site about plantains confirms what I've been saying, that the way Haitians select and prepare fried plantains is rather uncommon

,Damn, fried plantains are pretty good

The default way to prepare them in most Spanish speaking countries....(Maduros)....is sweet.........In many/most West African countries....it's the same way.

intruder

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
In a sort of unscientific way...every thread on this site about plantains confirms what I've been saying, that the way Haitians select and prepare fried plantains is rather uncommon

The default way to prepare them in most Spanish speaking countries....(Maduros)....is sweet.........In many/most West African countries....it's the same way.
WRONG AGAIN :smugdraper:

In Dominican republic and Cuba it's called TOSTONES. In Costa Rica (where i spent 19 months) and other Central American countries it's referred to as PATACONES. In Haiti, Guadeloupe, Martinique and Dominica (NOT DR) it's bannann peze or bannann fri

NOT the same as maduros, doggie. And ive said this over and over and over again on this site and in real life to people. Many of the clones who grew up here in the U.S. always wanna culturally associate Haitians with Jamaicans because they are both black and their geographic proximity. When in reality Haitian culture (including foods) is more closely aligned with Cuban, Dominican, Martiniquan and Guadeloupean culture. Thats where the line was drawn in the sand when between the BRITISH colonies and all others.

Examples:

You ask for the following in Haiti, Guadeloupe, Martinique, Dominican republic or Cuba
and you will get this

fried pork with plantains
plantains-575x262.jpg

Kalalou/Calalou
maxresdefault.jpg
[/URL]

You ask for the same in Jamaica or Trinidad or any other former british/Dutch colonies you will get this

fried port with plantains
maduros2-cuban.jpg

Kalalou/Calalou
1920px-Callaloo.jpg

To Haitians, Guadeloupeans, Martiniquans, KALALOU = OKRA, PERIOD. The stuff the other English islands call Kalalou/Calalou I BELIEVE is referred to as Lalo in Haiti in is more common in North/Central Haiti areas like L'Artibonite. Not really in P-a-P and further South.

3032e339349a93eaea25e14f9626122a.jpg

Thus why when people here be assuming Haitian food is like Jamaican food I stop them and tell them Haitian food/culture is more closely related to Cuban food than Jamaican. They associate us more with Jamaican because of skin color because being raised in the U.S. conditions you to see black-and-white first.
Please spend time in Haiti before you argue with with people that were born and raised there, doggy.:sitdown:

Last edited:

intruder

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love

I'll make it even easier for you, @Get These Nets .

Check this out, yo Really simple test. Just Google the following terms separately:
  1. Maduros
  2. Fried plantains
  3. Tostones
  4. Patacones
  5. Bannann peze
You will notice that for the most part, the images from #3, #4, and #5 are the exact same images: Flattened fried green plantains. While images for #1 and #2 are the same respectively: Sweet fried soggy looking platains.
I honestly don't get how people love them sweet soggy shyts, personally :scust:
Just try it and see with your own eyes since most of you mainly believe Google :manny:

Last edited:

the bossman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast D.C.
I honestly don't get how people love them sweet soggy shyts, personally :scust:
sweet fried plantains are a BOMB side dish. they pair perfectly with a lot of savory foods.

like fried sweet plantains with fried eggs = GOAT breakfast:wow:
fried sweet plantains with black beans = :takedat:
fried sweet plantains (even boiled is good) with any type of greens (kale, spinach, etc.) = :ahh:

and I do notice that many of the latin and some west indian tend to fry them to the point they are soggy. it's ok but I think it's better the west african way when it's cut at an angle and fried to the point where it's more firm than soggy. like:
Fried-plantains-38-500x500.jpg
fried-slices-ripe-plantain-isolated-260nw-1056035210.jpg

Now the green non-ripe plantains? I never understood the point of frying them. and the shape, it's like somebody just smashed the shyts with they shoe. I love Haitian dishes but I always make a weird face when I see their plantains :heh:

If you gonna eat the green non-ripe ones then you might as well just boil it and just eat it like that with whatever greens and sauce you plan to mix them in :yeshrug:

intruder

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
sweet fried plantains are a BOMB side dish. they pair perfectly with a lot of savory foods.

like fried sweet plantains with fried eggs = GOAT breakfast:wow:
fried sweet plantains with black beans = :takedat:
fried sweet plantains (even boiled is good) with any type of greens (kale, spinach, etc.) = :ahh:

and I do notice that many of the latin and some west indian tend to fry them to the point they are soggy. it's ok but I think it's better the west african way when it's cut at an angle and fried to the point where it's more firm than soggy. like:
Fried-plantains-38-500x500.jpg
fried-slices-ripe-plantain-isolated-260nw-1056035210.jpg

Now the green non-ripe plantains? I never understood the point of frying them. and the shape, it's like somebody just smashed the shyts with they shoe. I love Haitian dishes but I always make a weird face when I see their plantains :heh:

If you gonna eat the green non-ripe ones then you might as well just boil it and just eat it like that with whatever greens and sauce you plan to mix them in :yeshrug:
I cant stand you "sweet foods" loving mofos. Ya'll the same types that bury your meats in the sweet BBQ sauce. :scust:
Ya'll mamas should have swallowed ya'll :francis:
I know it's mostly and American thing since everything here, even breads and peanut butter, is loaded with sugar. But r any real Haitians when we ask for plantains dont bring us that sweet shyt unless we specify we want sweet plantains.

Besides growing up in Haiti there's always been a joke that sweet plantains is only for people with bad teeth. AKA old people
Even the old saying says "Dan pouri toujou gen fòs sou bannann mi" :heh:
It means "rotten teeth always feel strong against soft sweet plantains". It's a ways of saying "take one someone your ow size"

Last edited: