Haitian Appreciation Thread

intruder

SOHH Class of 2003 and CASUAL sports fan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
how well do other Antillean Creole speakers understand Haitian Creole?

also whats a good app to learn it? been thinking of trying to learn Creole or French in addition to Spanish
You dont speak creole? :what:

intruder

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
nikka i'm not a real Haitian:what:
I thought you were one of them haitians who was born and grew up here from Haitian parents

Antillais creole and Haitian Creole are the same at their core. Just different accent because theirs has even more French FEEL to it whereas ours is more African FEEL. Using this video as an example of a martiniquan speaking creole that we had discussed in another thread. As a matter of fact recopying some of the points i made in the other thread onto this post

Cajuns And Creoles

There is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING dude said in this video that myself, the average Haitian, can't easily understand on the very first listen and honestly if I didnt know he was from Guadeloupe I would have said dude was probably from Northern Haiti because my cousin's husband speaks the same way. The main thing I have to remind myself when speaking to Guadeloupeans and Martiniquans are the following:
  • They use the word "ni" where we use "gen" or "genyen" which means "to have"
  • The way they use the word "ka" can be confusing to Haitians if you are not paying attention because when Haitians say "men ka fè yon bagay" we mean "we CAN do something" whereas if an antillais says that exact same sentence it means they DID something. Different is we use "ka" as short for "kapab" from the French word "capable". But they use "ka" as short for the French term "qui a". See the 0:42 minute mark in the vid posted where he did exactly what I just mentioned with "ka".
  • When they say "bagay sa" for example they don't drag the last "a" in "sa" whereas Haitians say it as if there is an extra "a" like "saa a"
  • They say "youn" just like we do but Haitians use both "youn" and "yon" and they are used in different situations whereas antillais use "youn" in every situation
  • They also use the word "" to say "want" whereas Haitians pronounce it "vlé" with with the "v" in front of it. Both are derived from the French word "voulez" which means "want"

I'm still not sure what they mean when they say "djendjen" , tho. :jbhmm: It sounds like ours but when they put it in a sentence it seems to me like it's not the same

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
Oh. :stopitslime:

Naga made it sound like he was a Swedish cat with dreads who listens to hip-hop. :stopitslime:

Carry on haitian breh. :ehh:
i always gave and received love from Haitian brehs and my Haitian fam:yeshrug:
my mom speaks Creole but real Haitians always are like ":mjpls: where you from" when she speaks to them lol

Mega

Superstar
Daps
how well do other Antillean Creole speakers understand Haitian Creole?

also whats a good app to learn it thinking of trying to learn Creole or French in addition to Spanish

Surprisingly St. Lucian Kreyol is closer to Haitian Kreyol as opposed to Guadeloupe/Martinique Kreyol.

Learning Kreyol is really easy.

Last edited:
  • Dap
Reactions: Dip

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
FALSE.

Edit: My bad. Well maybe those that YOU met. If you are referring to BOILED green plantains, all caribbean people eat boiled GREEN plantains, period. The traditional universal caribbean breakfast across all islands is boiled green plantains and eggs or green plantains and salf-fiish. Salt-fish is the english term. French/creole speaking caribbean islands (Haiti, Martinique, Guadeloupe, French Guyana) call it "morrue". Spanish speaking caribbean islands (Dr, Cuba, Puerto Rico) call it "bacalao".

Callaloo-and-codfish-caribbean-recipe-of-the-week.jpg

if you are talking about FRIED green plantains, Dominicans, Guadeloupeans, Martiniquans, Puerto Ricans and Cubans go hard at bannann pezé just like haitians.
It's like that in many environments.
The key phrase in my last post was "non sweet".
I attended Caribbean students functions, attended weddings of people of Car. descent, and eaten at restaurants under the flag of most islands..english speaking, spanish speaking and french speaking

Cubans are the only other group that I've encountered who consistently serve non sweet fried plantains at those functions. Hard fried non sweet banan.

Last edited:

intruder

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
The key phrase in my last post was "non sweet".
I attended Caribbean students functions, attended weddings of people of Car. descent, and eaten at restaurants under the flag of most islands..english speaking, spanish speaking and french speaking

Cubans are the only other group that I've encountered who consistently serve non sweet fried plantains at those functions. Hard fried non sweet banan.
Me and this dominican I used to fukk in Miami used to go eat tostones at Dominican spots all the time.

Same thing when I lived in Costa Rica except there is called "patacones".

Honestly, I wouldn't gauge any cultures food by the way it is done in the United States by set group.

For example if you are Haitian and you go to Haitian restaurants, when was the last time you went to a Haitian restaurant and they had Tomtom?

Last edited:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Me and this dominican I used to fukk in Miami used to go eat tostones all the time.

Same thing when I lived in Costa Rica except there is called "patacones".

Honestly, I wouldn't gauge any cultures food by the way it is done in the United States by set group.

For example if you are Haitian and you go to Haitian restaurants, when was the last time you went to a Haitian restaurant and they had Tomtom?

I figures DRs would be the exception.

I think you can gauge cultures from the large ethnic enclaves that exist here. In the tri state alone.....you have perhaps the largest group of DRs outside of DR (Washington Heights)*....one of the largest groups of Haitians outside of Haiti (Flatbush area and parts of Brooklyn) and THE largest group of Costa Ricans outside of CR(Bound Brook,NJ). I've been to all three spots....and if you walked around just recodring audio in the main strips..you could convince people that you are in any of those home countries.

Little Haiti in Miami....for all intents and purposes might as well be Haiti....you could shoot VIDEO there and convince people that it's Haiti.and there's no food you could order that they wouldn't have.

I said in the Taco Bell thread about Cubans in Hialeah...what I'm sayin here....when an immigrant group has the numbers and makes up a majority of a certain area in America, you get a truer sense of what that culture/society is about...the good and the bad.

*Havent been to the Heights in years.....it was all DR back then, at least.