Guillermo Del Toro - The Shape of Water

ChuckTaylor84

Penthouse Player
Supporter
Daps
I really enjoyed this one. The lead actress, Sally Hawkins, deserves a best actress nod for all the awards. Playing a mute character, she convincingly conveyed so much emotion with her face and body. Amazing acting. Michael Shannon, Octavia Spencer, and Richard Jenkins were all great in their roles as well. It’s a very beautiful movie. del Toro always brings a distinct vision to his work, and he knows how to make his vision come alive on screen. This movie is no exception. The colors and set designs were really captivating and pulled me right in. It’s also a very dark movie. I was surprised about how violent this movie is, although I guess considering who made it, I shouldn't have been. There were also frank (and very well done) depictions of racism, homophobia, and sexism. But there were also moments of levity, and ultimately a very hopeful message, which seems to be del Toro’s thing. Like Pans Labyrinth, he uses fantasy to show the ugly horrors of our world and the beauty we can discover through our choices. I really like the message of this one - that we can become more than what we are or perhaps who we really are if we only dare to reach for something different. I’m not sure if this film is del Toro’s best work, personally I’d put Pans over this, but this is one of his best and definitely worth the word of mouth and praise it’s receiving.

The only down side I think is the pacing towards third act. It kinda drags a little before shyt goes down. Other than that, two thumbs up or a 8.5/10 for me.

I agree with this

I enjoyed it

Very well made flim

Starman

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Saw it. Earned it's R rating, and my attention in the first 2, minutes. :banderas:

Beautifully shot, compelling characters... As much as I liked the story though, it was undoubtedly degenerate. Romanticizing beastiality is disturbing. I'd have felt better about it all if it was clear the fishman's intelligence was on par with humans.

4.5/5.

melraH

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
UPTOWN
great movie, but the bestiality aspect is :scust:
:jbhmm:through out the movie i kept thinking about that Paul Mooney Joke on hollywood making the white woman fukk anything. making musical scores “one day you gonna come home and find your kid fukking your dog singing Beauty and the Beast”. :deadmanny:
“put a black woman as the love interest”
“the fly you’ll never buzz on this p*ssy”
“swamp thing you better get back in that pot of greens” :mjgrin:

DoubleClutch

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
How good was this Brehs. The trailer didn't impress me :manny:

But Del Toro has made some of my favorite films :hubie:

He's yet to top Pans Labyrinth though.

BlackMajik

Behind Enemy Lines
Daps
Reppin
DSGB(Down South Georgia Boy)
I just saw this last night cuz Del Toro is one of my fav filmmakers. He's passionate about all his projects

I did not expect to see so much nudity and sex when I watched this:mjlol:The woman that played Eliza is a pretty good actress:ehh: and Octavia Spencer is great in this of course

Ol dude who played the Colonel seemed like he was in rape mode the entire movie:russ: and I'm not surprised by how good the creature effects were becuz Del Toro is a master at that