Guillermo Del Toro - The Shape of Water

Cole Cash

They took a hammer and sickle to my back
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore Maryland
saw it, definately liked how the :mjpls: vibes with some of the characters of the time werent ignored. in alot of movies like this its like civil rights didint exist/wasnt happening and this is definately not the case. everyone in the movie, from the black best friend, to her gay roomate, to she herself being mute rounds out to everyone being different and looking for a place to belong

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
How is this nominated for a golden globe but no one has seen it yet?:francis:
Do you not know how the industry works breh? Critics have seen this already. And most major states already have it, going nationwide next week.

What's crazier is All the Money in the world being nominated which truly no one in this country has seen yet.

@TheGodling won't get to see this until February :laff: :hhh:

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Do you not know how the industry works breh? Critics have seen this already. And most major states already have it, going nationwide next week.

What's crazier is All the Money in the world being nominated which truly no one in this country has seen yet.

@TheGodling won't get to see this until February :laff: :hhh:
I don't care. I am mad as hell we likely won't get Lady Bird until goddamn April though. :why:

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
I don't care. I am mad as hell we likely won't get Lady Bird until goddamn April though. :why:
You Europeans. Always putting last year's movies on your best of lists :hhh:

Can't wait for Empire to have Lady Bird in their top 5 next year :picard:

ahomeplateslugger

Superstar
Daps
just saw this and what a beautiful movie. the ending was a perfect way to wrap the story up and i love how they defined love and use metaphors throughout the movie to illustrate it. the themes in the film was nice to see, specifically the civil rights issues. just a great and honest movie. definitely top 2.

pickles

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
#Byrdgang
Coli brehs is this a good movie? :lupe:

I don't really like romance and this seems kind of predictable.:ld:

Like an old timey darker version of Splash! if you will.

Either this or All the money in the World.

ahomeplateslugger

Superstar
Daps
Go see this brehs

i'm still thinking about this and heard an interview with Del Toro explaining the themes and the aesthetics of this movie and there's so many layers to The Shape of Water. it just blows my mind still thinking about it.

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
I really enjoyed this one. The lead actress, Sally Hawkins, deserves a best actress nod for all the awards. Playing a mute character, she convincingly conveyed so much emotion with her face and body. Amazing acting. Michael Shannon, Octavia Spencer, and Richard Jenkins were all great in their roles as well. It’s a very beautiful movie. del Toro always brings a distinct vision to his work, and he knows how to make his vision come alive on screen. This movie is no exception. The colors and set designs were really captivating and pulled me right in. It’s also a very dark movie. I was surprised about how violent this movie is, although I guess considering who made it, I shouldn't have been. There were also frank (and very well done) depictions of racism, homophobia, and sexism. But there were also moments of levity, and ultimately a very hopeful message, which seems to be del Toro’s thing. Like Pans Labyrinth, he uses fantasy to show the ugly horrors of our world and the beauty we can discover through our choices. I really like the message of this one - that we can become more than what we are or perhaps who we really are if we only dare to reach for something different. I’m not sure if this film is del Toro’s best work, personally I’d put Pans over this, but this is one of his best and definitely worth the word of mouth and praise it’s receiving.

The only down side I think is the pacing towards third act. It kinda drags a little before shyt goes down. Other than that, two thumbs up or a 8.5/10 for me.