Greatest Gangster Flicks

Greatest Gangster Flick

• Total voters

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I'd love for American Gangster to be in this pantheon because while I like the movie a lot, there's something about it that holds it back. I love what it has to say about society and how that society gives men like frank Lucas a justification for what they're doing, very similar to what the godfather does for the corleone family. It's a movie more concerned with society which I love but there's just something missing from it and I don't know what it is.

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
I'd love for American Gangster to be in this pantheon because while I like the movie a lot, there's something about it that holds it back. I love what it has to say about society and how that society gives men like frank Lucas a justification for what they're doing, very similar to what the godfather does for the corleone family. It's a movie more concerned with society which I love but there's just something missing from it and I don't know what it is.
Too much filler involving Russell crowes character is the main complaint. Also the predictable manner the way movie unfolds. Then the way they show lucas cooperate and become a friend to Richie. I think those things bring it down. Just doesn't end with the power that most great gangster movies close with.

Gangster comes to power.

Meets beautiful woman

Being watched by honest cop.

Gets caught.

Becomes allies.

Idk. Just too contrived. Seems like we've seen the same movie too many times.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Too much filler involving Russell crowes character is the main complaint. Also the predictable manner the way movie unfolds. Then the way they show lucas cooperate and become a friend to Richie. I think those things bring it down. Just doesn't end with the power that most great gangster movies close with.

Gangster comes to power.

Meets beautiful woman

Being watched by honest cop.

Gets caught.

Becomes allies.

Idk. Just too contrived. Seems like we've seen the same movie too many times.

I don't mind the storyline with Crowe's character because I like the dichotomy of their lives and stories. I'm a sucker for dichotomy and "dualities" :pachaha: So it worked for me in the movie. I think the problem isn't so much structure and story for me but the feeling. Ridley Scott hasn't directed anything great in a long time and it feels like he's not sure of the story he wants to tell so a lot of scenes feel like scenes as opposed to telling a complete narrative. Like we need a scene showing how ruthless he is so we'll do that. We need another scene showing he loves his mom and his family so we'll do that. We need a scene showing how corrupt the cops are so we'll do that. He's more focused on hitting beats instead of making the beats compelling

Roaden Polynice

Superstar
Daps
Not the greatest but I throw Wolf of Wall St. in there.

Not a lot of bigger gangsters out there than stock brokers.

Last edited:

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
I don't mind the storyline with Crowe's character because I like the dichotomy of their lives and stories. I'm a sucker for dichotomy and "dualities" :pachaha: So it worked for me in the movie. I think the problem isn't so much structure and story for me but the feeling. Ridley Scott hasn't directed anything great in a long time and it feels like he's not sure of the story he wants to tell so a lot of scenes feel like scenes as opposed to telling a complete narrative. Like we need a scene showing how ruthless he is so we'll do that. We need another scene showing he loves his mom and his family so we'll do that. We need a scene showing how corrupt the cops are so we'll do that. He's more focused on hitting beats instead of making the beats compelling
The movie is well directed, I think its on the verge of being great but falls short because it does lack a certain pinache.

And the complaint about Russell crowes character having too much screen time is mainly from this site/sohh. I agree to an extent. I did like the scene at the apartment where his partner killed the dealer and they had to escape. Great scene. Just not enough great scenes.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
The movie is well directed, I think its on the verge of being great but falls short because it does lack a certain pinache.

And the complaint about Russell crowes character having too much screen time is mainly from this site/sohh. I agree to an extent. I did like the scene at the apartment where his partner killed the dealer and they had to escape. Great scene. Just not enough great scenes.

You said it best breh. It's well directed but not greatly directed. It doesn't have that spark that a movie like this needs and fairly or unfairly I put that on Scott

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
one of my favorites ever..easily in my top 10

this has to be on there

and @MartyMcFly the white heat been in my queue for a minute

Such a dope movie. Probably my favorite Cagney movie and IMO it's better than the public enemy and it's an easier watch. I know little Cesar is a classic but it was tough getting through that over the weekend. Public enemy holds up better but white heat beats them both