Gran Turismo 7 + VR2 | PS4/PS5 | 3/4/2022

TheAlbionist

All Star
Daps
Reppin
London
is it just as good without the wheel but just vr?

On pure immersion and having used a wheel and pedals since I was a kid I think I'd lean to if you haven't already felt the need for a wheel and pedals, you probably still don't need them. I assume you've played a racing game with a gamepad and a racing game with a wheel/pedals at least in an arcade at some point and if that wasn't enough to convince you to get them at home, then DualSense will probably be absolutely fine - people can get to a pretty good standard on DualSense too and everyone says the haptics/triggers do a really good job.

The difference with the wheel/pedals is more on the simulation front that the immersion front for me - I don't feel like I've "honestly" completed a Drift Challenge unless I've done it with a wheel (pads are actually easier for some things) - but it doesn't necessarily fake my brain out any more than playing with a pad does - I'm still sat in my living room looking at the TV, watching the clock behind it - VR genuinely gives me moments where I feel like I'm actually drifting a race-spec Mustang around Willow Springs... it's just a whole different level of experience.

I'd go VR before wheel if I had to start again right now and my plans to upgrade from Logitech to Fanatec are face down in the water. This is all I need right now.

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
With the VR mode, I’m officially hooked on this game. All I need now is a wheel. But why ain’t tell me how much these damn things cost :mjcry:

So let me ask y’all…. Will I be ok with the Logitech joint for like $300/400? G29 I think?

Or do I need to go ahead and mess with these fanatec joints? 5nm or the 8?

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
With the VR mode, I’m officially hooked on this game. All I need now is a wheel. But why ain’t tell me how much these damn things cost :mjcry:

So let me ask y’all…. Will I be ok with the Logitech joint for like $300/400? G29 I think?

@shutterguy

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4

Also will need a rig

shutterguy

Photographer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cleveland

The Logitech G series will work fine for you getting started, like @MikelArteta mentioned you will need a rig. The G29 can clamp to a table, but will do far better with it mounted to actual rig.

Now….. that being said, if you wanna go all out, you can’t go wrong with Fanatec products. My co-worker has the F1 DD wheel, shifter, and race inverted pedals from them. shyt is top notch, has a fit and feel of top end luxury hardware. The wheel looks like it literally came from an F1 car with carbon fiber bits and high end switchgear. It is some of finest craftsmanship I have ever seen. It cost though, he dropped $4.5K on the wheel combo, pedals, and shifter. Than another $1K on a Omega GT rig. I raced on it and it had me like :ohlawd:

I have the G29 setup in a Playseat Evolution rig, spent just under $700. Works just fine for PS and PC, force feedback, 6-speed shifter with reverse, and your standard 3 pedal setup. I do want a Fanatec tho, that is next level.

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
The Logitech G series will work fine for you getting started, like @MikelArteta mentioned you will need a rig. The G29 can clamp to a table, but will do far better with it mounted to actual rig.

Now….. that being said, if you wanna go all out, you can’t go wrong with Fanatec products. My co-worker has the F1 DD wheel, shifter, and race inverted pedals from them. shyt is top notch, has a fit and feel of top end luxury hardware. The wheel looks like it literally came from an F1 car with carbon fiber bits and high end switchgear. It is some of finest craftsmanship I have ever seen. It cost though, he dropped $4.5K on the wheel combo, pedals, and shifter. Than another $1K on a Omega GT rig. I raced on it and it had me like :ohlawd:

I have the G29 setup in a Playseat Evolution rig, spent just under $700. Works just fine for PS and PC, force feedback, 6-speed shifter with reverse, and your standard 3 pedal setup. I do want a Fanatec tho, that is next level.
Thank you for all the info. Just an FYI, this is what I was planning on getting:

My brother said the difference in 5 vs 8 is minimal so I’ll save another $150 on not getting the 8. So $700

Sure did plan on putting that right on the table :russ:

Guess I’ll start pricing rigs. This shyt is addicting

Daps
Thank you for all the info. Just an FYI, this is what I was planning on getting:

My brother said the difference in 5 vs 8 is minimal so I’ll save another $150 on not getting the 8. So $700

Man I’ve been looking on Reddit all day and damn near every one said the 8 is way better than the 5. And the 5 is better than the g29.

shutterguy

Photographer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cleveland

No problem, a lot of cats getting into this stuff lately, good to know what's out there.

That one will work for fine for you, I would check some YT vids for any pro's and con's.

:russ: about the table....... my co-worker with the Fanatec setup, I had my Logitech and rig setup before he went all out. He bought the same G29 wheel, pedal, and shifter I had, mounted that shyt on a table, grabbed an office chair, mounted the pedals against something on the floor, soon as he hit the brakes, pedals scooted forward about a foot. He came over and played Forza Motorsport 7 on my rig and was hooked, went out that next week and bought a rig from Next Level Racing.

Oh yea, sim racing is huge rabbit hole. I take it you haven't seen the motion platforms yet???

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
No problem, a lot of cats getting into this stuff lately, good to know what's out there.

That one will work for fine for you, I would check some YT vids for any pro's and con's.

:russ: about the table....... my co-worker with the Fanatec setup, I had my Logitech and rig setup before he went all out. He bought the same G29 wheel, pedal, and shifter I had, mounted that shyt on a table, grabbed an office chair, mounted the pedals against something on the floor, soon as he hit the brakes, pedals scooted forward about a foot. He came over and played Forza Motorsport 7 on my rig and was hooked, went out that next week and bought a rig from Next Level Racing.

Oh yea, sim racing is huge rabbit hole. I take it you haven't seen the motion platforms yet???

I didn't know how big it was until I called my boss the other night. He was on video and I see his rig in the back. Man has damn blowers hooked up to his PC that simulate wind speed. Actually blow harder the faster he goes. He was talking about those motion seats but they are a grip

Next day I got PSVR2 and I was HOOKED.

That's funny as shyt though cause I didn't even think of the petals sliding.. Now I'm envisioning damn near turning the tables over trying to steer :damn:

I saw a good looking rig for $300 on amazon. I'll be back when I'm ready for that part of the process

TheAlbionist

All Star
Daps
Reppin
London

That's what I use - had it for years now - I've got gold on every circuit experience with it. Spent the Fanatec money on the PSVR2 :yeshrug:

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
Been really enjoying the game overall however, I do find the menu obtrusive to the experience.
Contrary to what I'm used to in Forza Horizon, I do appreciate the focus on racing vs an open world however, that's what makes the menu elements of this game annoying. I'm actually surprised the graphics aren't better than they are also. It looks nice...but I haven't been wowed at all.
Those short comings aside, the game is much more enjoyable than I expected. It's not breaking any molds. It's just straight up fun and has a nice degree of progression from race to race. Can't wait to see it in VR.