Gran Turismo 7 + VR2 | PS4/PS5 | 3/4/2022

TheAlbionist

All Star
Daps
Reppin
London
This shyt is amazing.

I don't think it's made me quicker exactly - I'm definitely not slower now I've got over the novelty, but I'm definitely better at RACING.

Being able to look over and see where another car is :whew:
Being able to use the mirrors properly :blessed: one of my only major issues with GT7 was that in some cars the cockpit cam couldn't see the rear view mirrors in some of the cars even when they were there - now I can just look up like I would driving my own car.

Aside from that, the experience is just something people need to see honestly. I have never in my life intentionally driven slowly in a driving game ever - I drive at my limit or I get bored, but today I've found myself slowing down and just taking the shyt in... I took my own car (well, near as the game has) out onto the Nordschleife and it was so engagingly realistic inside that car that I tried to rest my arm out of the window at one point :heh:

On the car interiors - I have never once bothered going into the car showroom. Never saw the big appeal with seeing a virtual car in great detail - but getting to poke around the interior of a Veyron or dig out a car you used to own (shout out Celica GT-Four) is really fun - I'm sure the novelty will wear off on that.

To make sure it wasn't completely ruining my driving I did the Nordschleife circuit experience - haven't played GT7 for the last few months and I was 1s off the Gold time first time I got it round in one piece, so I reckon I'm still doing alright.

TheAlbionist

All Star
Daps
Reppin
London
Long post, ignore as appropriate.

Being an old fukk, I've been playing racing sims since the late 80s (Revs bought by my Dad on the BBC was the first - it was very clever for the time and my Dad thought it was amazing but it was s-h-i-t-e)

Got my first Thrustmaster wheel/pedals for Christmas for playing Gran Prix 2 on the Amiga around 94/95. Vividly remember how driving around Monaco made me feel.

Force-Feedback sometime around 98 playing games like Colin McRae, TOCA Touring Cars and Monaco Grand Prix - learning to control drifts, feeling the wheels lose traction as you hit the gas too hard. The golden age really starts sometime around here and this is where my Dad tapped out - he wanted games that made him feel like a better driver, I wanted games that made me a better driver. Force feedback and the car physics that CPUs could model then meant driving a McLaren took a bit more subtlety than the average Ford Explorer owner.

I can't remember many individual MOMENTS after that - whatever's the current sim on my current platform has always done the job - Project Cars, Driveclub, Forza, Assettio, Gran Turismo, the F1 games all kind of blur into one - graphics get better every year but they've been good enough since the late 90s, physics get better but again, it's been good enough, it's all polish on top of the masterpieces Geoff Crammond made in the 90s - I don't remember what I was playing when I had a race 5 years ago, I can tell you I had a good time.

I'll be telling people about the first time I played GT7 in VR for years.

This is the first single-step leap since Formula One Grand Prix on the Amiga/Atari ST gave us all the real cars and all the real circuits in three fukking dimensions. Playing that game, tuning the wing on my Williams to get an extra tenth around Spa after stuff like Pole Position left me wanting to play racing sims for the rest of my life.

This thing feels the same way. My mind's blown. I didn't think I could want to play driving sims any more than I did before.

The only issue I have so far is that I think it will eventually give me a headache - it kinda felt like I was coming off Molly when I finished after two hours - and if you're restarting sections a lot (like drift challenges) you've got to be careful not to lose centre on the picture or it'll dump you back in the car ALL fukked up and you've gotta hold start to get back in the seat.

And the fact that I can't stick my arm out the window and slap the door to the music.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Long post, ignore as appropriate.

Being an old fukk, I've been playing racing sims since the late 80s (Revs bought by my Dad on the BBC was the first - it was very clever for the time and my Dad thought it was amazing but it was s-h-i-t-e)

Got my first Thrustmaster wheel/pedals for Christmas for playing Gran Prix 2 on the Amiga around 94/95. Vividly remember how driving around Monaco made me feel.

Force-Feedback sometime around 98 playing games like Colin McRae, TOCA Touring Cars and Monaco Grand Prix - learning to control drifts, feeling the wheels lose traction as you hit the gas too hard. The golden age really starts sometime around here and this is where my Dad tapped out - he wanted games that made him feel like a better driver, I wanted games that made me a better driver. Force feedback and the car physics that CPUs could model then meant driving a McLaren took a bit more subtlety than the average Ford Explorer owner.

I can't remember many individual MOMENTS after that - whatever's the current sim on my current platform has always done the job - Project Cars, Driveclub, Forza, Assettio, Gran Turismo, the F1 games all kind of blur into one - graphics get better every year but they've been good enough since the late 90s, physics get better but again, it's been good enough, it's all polish on top of the masterpieces Geoff Crammond made in the 90s - I don't remember what I was playing when I had a race 5 years ago, I can tell you I had a good time.

I'll be telling people about the first time I played GT7 in VR for years.

This is the first single-step leap since Formula One Grand Prix on the Amiga/Atari ST gave us all the real cars and all the real circuits in three fukking dimensions. Playing that game, tuning the wing on my Williams to get an extra tenth around Spa after stuff like Pole Position left me wanting to play racing sims for the rest of my life.

This thing feels the same way. My mind's blown. I didn't think I could want to play driving sims any more than I did before.

The only issue I have so far is that I think it will eventually give me a headache - it kinda felt like I was coming off Molly when I finished after two hours - and if you're restarting sections a lot (like drift challenges) you've got to be careful not to lose centre on the picture or it'll dump you back in the car ALL fukked up and you've gotta hold start to get back in the seat.

And the fact that I can't stick my arm out the window and slap the door to the music.

Yeah, im not even super into cars/ racing sims like that and im blown away so i can only imagine how this feels for someone that actually has been into racing their entire lives and got wheel set ups already.

I’m happy for racing brehs :blessed: