Google is doing TOO much. They really are spying brehs

big bun

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Me and the wife was talking about Christmas gifts for our daughters, specifically, a Minnie Mouse doll for the baby...later that day we both had advertisements for Minnie Mouse shyt on our FB timelines and e-mail banners. That shyt been happening a whole lot the last few months. :russ:

eastsideTT

Superstar
Daps
Wonder what the ROI metrics are for google's snooping and suggestions... :jbhmm:

I've never been super consumerist. I'm pretty bare bones, and opt moreso for experiences over worldly trinkets (with the exception of a lil' gear, food and innovative mechanical devices)... got that Google? :smugbiden:

But I wonder how much this shyt really influences people... I barely notice the ads (on any platform) ... and if people don't have the money to buy, they just dont have it and can't buy regardless.

so this is clearly bigger than target marketing. It's more of a general, social engineering, propaganda experiment that Google is clearly a huge part of.

bro i always wonder the same damn thing. ive never been super impressionable when it came to any form of ads, and whenever I planned to buy something I would already know where to get it, or if not, search for that specific thing - when I needed to get it. i came up on the internet during "web 1.0" where it was just beat into your head to never click a banner ad

i cant be the only one?

how much could people REALLY be influenced by google and facebooks targeted ads? in the middle of reading an email on Gmail and they see a banner ad for something loosely related to what the convo was about...people click on those and impulsively make a purchase? wtf?

eastsideTT

Superstar
Daps
I’m not going to say I never get targeted ads, but really not that many. My location is usually off, I never use the voice feature so that’s off, I hate that bytch siri, I won’t even talk to her unless it’s to belittle her existence.

I never allow apps any permissions, if I do I usually turn them off afterwards. I don’t really use that many apps to be honest.

I also don’t have social media. I had a MySpace in HS. That’s it, never a Facebook and certainly not any of the other platforms.

I NEVER click on ads. Even if I’m interested I just go to the actual website. I told this developer that and he was like oh you’re trying to put me out of a job lol. I refuse to click on them, even though I wonder if they still get money from targeting ads to me though I don’t click and go to the site. Hmmmm...

I still get them sometimes though and I think it’s creeper status. But oh well, what are we going to do. It’s 1984 apparently.

:salute: sounds exactly like me

ill take what i want from 'technology' when I want it, but im definitely not letting it run my life. I dont even have an amazon account:russ:

its depressing kind of. i try not to dwell on it but its really like Black Mirror out there. im in NYC and the culture has really changed. people always had headphones on the train since walkman days (if you didnt get got for yours lol) and kept to themselves, but today its on some whole other shyt. i feel like im the weird one when im outside and im the one who doesnt have their head glued to a goddamn screen. people walking down some of the busiest streets in the world checking their IG or FB.:mindblown: maaad yuppies and college grads moving here driving up the price of evertything, just to never go outside. why??

theres something kinda unsettling and dystopian about places like San Francisco.. seeing an automated car or an amazon delivery drone cruise by, passing a ton of homeless people. these silicon valley guys are ultimately making cities less and less "city like" :damn:

thers no turning back from it though. its going to be interesting to see what happens to us

Captain Crunch

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NY
Google; FB, and Apple are actively spying on you and know more about y'all than your own loved ones.

UserNameless

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Everywhere...You never there.
bro i always wonder the same damn thing. ive never been super impressionable when it came to any form of ads, and whenever I planned to buy something I would already know where to get it, or if not, search for that specific thing - when I needed to get it. i came up on the internet during "web 1.0" where it was just beat into your head to never click a banner ad

i cant be the only one?

how much could people REALLY be influenced by google and facebooks targeted ads? in the middle of reading an email on Gmail and they see a banner ad for something loosely related to what the convo was about...people click on those and impulsively make a purchase? wtf?

Word . Well said .

tater

Superstar
Daps

i cant be the only one?

Right! I barely even notice the ads, when I do it’s only because of it being uncanny that it’s there.

I remember in HS learning about when marketing departments started integrating psychology in their ads. I thought that was crazy! As I got older I really saw how it effects us. I remember one ad exec saying he doesn’t allow his children to watch or listen to commercials. He said he ripped pages out of magazines, muted the tv or changed the channel. That just stuck with me.

When these ads start playing on my computer/phone I put the phone down and turn the volume off and do something until it ends. I’m just not watching it. That has nothing to do with not trying to be marketed to, but I’m not wasting even a minute listening to an ad for something I’m not going to buy. I don’t shop like that. If Palmolive is on sale I’m not going to buy dawn. I’m more price conscious than brand loyal. If there are brands I like it’s because the quality is usually better, not because they used blue to calm my nerves and it made me feel comfortable.

JordanWearinThe45

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
So yest evening, i was at the barbershop. I got there a little late as they were closing and they were having a small New Years celebration with a fish fry and a dj in the back room.

The dj was playing a bunch of old school music. Primarily Maze & Frankie Beverly, Roger and Zapp etc

Mind you, this music was loud and blaring like a club, so my phone could easily pick it up if it was listening.

Fast forward to TODAY, this afternoon. I get a notification on my phone for a Google Rewards survey. I click on the survey and On God, the survey asked 3 questions. The first was about a place I'd been. The 2nd question asked if I recently listened to a particular Frankie Beverly and Maze song(can't rem the song name, but it wasn't the song the dj was playing) .

And the third question asked me, how likely was I to watch/listen to this YouTube video.

I swear. The Google survey has NEVER asked me about music before. And i have NOT searched for any Maze & Frankie Beverly songs.

Anybody else ever had this happen, or something similar?

You got an Android or and iPhone?

Fillerguy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey
I was in walmart the other day LOOKING at melatonin to buy and tried to do a google search. As I was typing in a question one of the suggestions had melatonin in it. I don't think its just google tracking I think its the cameras in the stores and a whole network keeping track of everybody like you see on futuristic shows and movies.
Same shyt happened to me.

Rusty$hackleford

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
PHX
So on lunch today I buy oil and oil treatment at walmart. Now I see amazon ad in the banner for exact same oil treatment. Didn't research it on my phone or price match. But I did pull my phone out at the register (chatty cashier taking so long). I'm convinced the camera captured the barcode or picture of product cause I'm seeing it now wtf :patrice:

Stir Fry

Dipped in Sauce
Supporter
Daps
Look through your instagram account and take notice of at what ads populate your timeline. By giving them access to your microphone, you signed off on them monitoring all your conversations. I don't mind google's targeted ads based on my search history since I use it for consumering reasons, but facebook and instagram can kick rocks for eavesdropping on my day to day activities since I just them strictly for bullshytting purposes.