Google is doing TOO much. They really are spying brehs

Kenyan West

lazy fba philly nikka,
Daps
Reppin
Philadelphia
It's some creepy shyt - I was in a bar one time and randomly ran into some cac couple I know. I had my phone in my hand, just finished listening to some music.

Cac dude gave me a handshake and was like "oh yeah, we're heading to an "Of Montreal" concert tonight!" Im like who?

No lie, hours later I got a notification about their concert being in Philly.

Didn't go, but I listened to their album on Tidal.. Wasn't bad. :mjpls:

OnlyInCalifornia

Southern California/Vegas
Daps
Reppin
The Coli's 420th member
LOL you think your phone is listening to whats going on live.

How about this breh....you clearly GOOGLE'd to either get the tickets, put it in your calendar, or went to waze/google maps to get directions to the venue.

You also were not the only person at the venue who bought tickets online, looked for directions on their phone, and had googled or shared comments of the same event.

eastsideTT

Superstar
Daps
LOL you think your phone is listening to whats going on live.

How about this breh....you clearly GOOGLE'd to either get the tickets, put it in your calendar, or went to waze/google maps to get directions to the venue.

You also were not the only person at the venue who bought tickets online, looked for directions on their phone, and had googled or shared comments of the same event.

lmao. yeah. I don't think we're at that level yet, of apps with microphone permissions live streaming everything in real time back to some database where millions and millions and millions of user's entire day's worth of conversations are stored and then parsed through at lighting speed, matched with words to be sent to relevant affiliate marketers, matched with ads, and sent back to you - all within the same hour or so. it's impossible.

but are companies NOT utilizing the microphone and everything else at their (or your) fingertips to build some sort of consumer profile of you? No - they definitely are

I think we're somewhere inbetween both scenarios. But the first scenario - even in today's crazy world - is pretty fukkin crazy, just off of logistics alone

OnlyInCalifornia

Southern California/Vegas
Daps
Reppin
The Coli's 420th member
lmao. yeah. I don't think we're at that level yet, of apps with microphone permissions live streaming everything in real time back to some database where millions and millions and millions of user's entire day's worth of conversations are stored and then parsed through at lighting speed, matched with words to be sent to relevant affiliate marketers, matched with ads, and sent back to you - all within the same hour or so. it's impossible.

but are companies NOT utilizing the microphone and everything else at their (or your) fingertips to build some sort of consumer profile of you? No - they definitely are

I think we're somewhere inbetween both scenarios. But the first scenario - even in today's crazy world - is pretty fukkin crazy, just off of logistics alone

Simply put they don't have the space to store all that information even at the very least. Not even taking into account everything you mentioned on top of it.

I've seen the microphone used in a lot of good ways too. Like for sleep apps and sound tuning apps. I guess you take the bad with the good :yeshrug:

eastsideTT

Superstar
Daps
Simply put they don't have the space to store all that information even at the very least. Not even taking into account everything you mentioned on top of it.

I've seen the microphone used in a lot of good ways too. Like for sleep apps and sound tuning apps. I guess you take the bad with the good :yeshrug:

word yeah..I barely use my phone anymore besides texting and calling, deadass...but when I got my first iPhone back in 2010 or so I was heavy on the "Sleep Cycle" app. Turn it on, put it under your pillow, and it uses the mic and motion sensor to sense when you are outside of REM sleep (most likely when you are shifting around is when you're out of REM). Then and only then will an alarm go off. It's kinda awesome. But next to impossible to utilize when 2 people are in the bed. I think Apple has incorporated some of those features into their own alarm clock right now as well (sleep time I think its called)

Rusty$hackleford

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
PHX
Interesting article in NY Times about these targeted ads.
@thekingsmen

In Stores, Secret Surveillance Tracks Your Every Move
By Michael Kwet
Graphics by Tala Schlossberg
Illustrations by Max Guther

Imagine you are shopping in your favorite grocery store. As you approach the dairy aisle, you are sent a push notification in your phone: “10 percent off your favorite yogurt! Click here to redeem your coupon.” You considered buying yogurt on your last trip to the store, but you decided against it. How did your phone know?

Your smartphone was tracking you. The grocery store got your location data and paid a shadowy group of marketers to use that information to target you with ads. Recent reports have noted how companies use data gathered from cell towers, ambient Wi-Fi, and GPS. But the location data industry has a much more precise, and unobtrusive, tool: Bluetooth beacons.

These beacons are small, inobtrusive electronic devices that are hidden throughout the grocery store; an app on your phone that communicates with them informed the company not only that you had entered the building, but that you had lingered for two minutes in front of the low-fat Chobanis.

Most location services use cell towers and GPS, but these technologies have limitations. Cell towers have wide coverage, but low location accuracy: An advertiser can think you are in Walgreens, but you’re actually in McDonald’s next door. GPS, by contrast, can be accurate to a radius of around five meters (16 feet), but it does not work well indoors.

Bluetooth beacons, however, can track your location accurately from a range of inches to about 50 meters. They use little energy, and they work well indoors. That has made them popular among companies that want precise tracking inside a store.

Most people aren’t aware they are being watched with beacons, but the “beacosystem” tracks millions of people every day. Beacons are placed at airports, malls, subways, buses, taxis, sporting arenas, gyms, hotels, hospitals, music festivals, cinemas and museums, and even on billboards.

In order to track you or trigger an action like a coupon or message to your phone, companies need you to install an app on your phone that will recognize the beacon in the store. Retailers (like Target and Walmart) that use Bluetooth beacons typically build tracking into their own apps. But retailers want to make sure most of their customers can be tracked — not just the ones that download their own particular app.

So a hidden industry of third-party location-marketing firms has proliferated in response. These companies take their beacon tracking code and bundle it into a toolkit developers can use.

The makers of many popular apps, such as those for news or weather updates, insert these toolkits into their apps. They might be paid by the beacon companies or receive other benefits, like detailed reports on their users.

Location data companies often collect additional data provided by apps. A location company called Pulsate, for example, encourages app developers to pass them customer email addresses and names.

Companies like Reveal Mobile collect data from software development kits inside hundreds of frequently used apps. In the United States, another company, inMarket, covers 38 percent of millennial moms and about one-quarter of all smartphones, and tracks 50 million people each month. Otherplayers have similar reach.

Location data companies have other disturbing tricks up their sleeve. For example, inMarket developed “mindset targeting” techniques that predict when individuals are most receptive to ads. These techniques are based on statistical probabilities calculated through millions of observations of human behavior. Brands like Hellman’s, Heineken and Hillshire Farms have used these technologies to drive product campaigns.

Full article at
Opinion | In Stores, Secret Bluetooth Surveillance Tracks Your Every Move

Londilon

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
skynet-climate.jpg

We are too late

earthwalka

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Was watching Harry Potter on dvd a while back, didn’t speak about it out loud or search it up on my phone just silently turned it on and was watching.

While watching I check my Instagram and all the ads are Harry Potter related. Pretty sure my phone picked up either the music or the dialogue and knew instantly what I was watching.

UserNameless

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Everywhere...You never there.
Interesting article in NY Times about these targeted ads.
@thekingsmen

In Stores, Secret Surveillance Tracks Your Every Move
By Michael Kwet
Graphics by Tala Schlossberg
Illustrations by Max Guther

Imagine you are shopping in your favorite grocery store. As you approach the dairy aisle, you are sent a push notification in your phone: “10 percent off your favorite yogurt! Click here to redeem your coupon.” You considered buying yogurt on your last trip to the store, but you decided against it. How did your phone know?

Your smartphone was tracking you. The grocery store got your location data and paid a shadowy group of marketers to use that information to target you with ads. Recent reports have noted how companies use data gathered from cell towers, ambient Wi-Fi, and GPS. But the location data industry has a much more precise, and unobtrusive, tool: Bluetooth beacons.

These beacons are small, inobtrusive electronic devices that are hidden throughout the grocery store; an app on your phone that communicates with them informed the company not only that you had entered the building, but that you had lingered for two minutes in front of the low-fat Chobanis.

Most location services use cell towers and GPS, but these technologies have limitations. Cell towers have wide coverage, but low location accuracy: An advertiser can think you are in Walgreens, but you’re actually in McDonald’s next door. GPS, by contrast, can be accurate to a radius of around five meters (16 feet), but it does not work well indoors.

Bluetooth beacons, however, can track your location accurately from a range of inches to about 50 meters. They use little energy, and they work well indoors. That has made them popular among companies that want precise tracking inside a store.

Most people aren’t aware they are being watched with beacons, but the “beacosystem” tracks millions of people every day. Beacons are placed at airports, malls, subways, buses, taxis, sporting arenas, gyms, hotels, hospitals, music festivals, cinemas and museums, and even on billboards.

In order to track you or trigger an action like a coupon or message to your phone, companies need you to install an app on your phone that will recognize the beacon in the store. Retailers (like Target and Walmart) that use Bluetooth beacons typically build tracking into their own apps. But retailers want to make sure most of their customers can be tracked — not just the ones that download their own particular app.

So a hidden industry of third-party location-marketing firms has proliferated in response. These companies take their beacon tracking code and bundle it into a toolkit developers can use.

The makers of many popular apps, such as those for news or weather updates, insert these toolkits into their apps. They might be paid by the beacon companies or receive other benefits, like detailed reports on their users.

Location data companies often collect additional data provided by apps. A location company called Pulsate, for example, encourages app developers to pass them customer email addresses and names.

Companies like Reveal Mobile collect data from software development kits inside hundreds of frequently used apps. In the United States, another company, inMarket, covers 38 percent of millennial moms and about one-quarter of all smartphones, and tracks 50 million people each month. Otherplayers have similar reach.

Location data companies have other disturbing tricks up their sleeve. For example, inMarket developed “mindset targeting” techniques that predict when individuals are most receptive to ads. These techniques are based on statistical probabilities calculated through millions of observations of human behavior. Brands like Hellman’s, Heineken and Hillshire Farms have used these technologies to drive product campaigns.

Full article at
Opinion | In Stores, Secret Bluetooth Surveillance Tracks Your Every Move

Demonic .