God Of War: Ragnarok (Nov. 9th, 2022) (PS4/PS5) (Valhalla DLC out 12/12/2023)

Daps
All first part games are now aiming for 3 years, they have increased head count in these studios and with 'content is king' Sony isn't waiting around for 5 year games anymore, particularly sequels.
Sony said development cycles said will be reduced to 2-3 year cycles instead of 3-5 year cycles due to the ease of development on the PS5 :yeshrug:

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
All first part games are now aiming for 3 years, they have increased head count in these studios and with 'content is king' Sony isn't waiting around for 5 year games anymore, particularly sequels.
Please name the game sir

Daps
I'm older than you pal, i was there.

For a game of this magnitude we need that last of us 2 Dev time.

God of war 2 ps2 was epic.

We need to restore that feeling.
god of war 2 came out 2 YEARS after the first one :mjgrin:
Made by Santa Monica who are notoriously fast developers
development time /= quality of the game
I don't know know why people have that conception in their mind
You can tell when a game was rushed but Santa Monica are just that talented
They would have worked on this game for 3.5 years if it comes late 2021
3.5 years is ALOT of time for a studio like Santa Monica
A trash game is trash no matter how long it takes to develop
But a quality studio will make an AAA game when given the development time THEY need
How long they need depends on the type of the game they are making and the studio themselves
I do agree Ragnarok needs to be more straight up hack and slash and less walking trying to recreate TLOU in every scene but I feel Ragnarok will be way more action packed

Last edited:
Daps
I think Ragnarok might be PS5 exclusive
Notice the amount of reused enemy models, the lack of people, the empty world, and most importantly, the lack of boss fights in the 1st game?
Or even the lack of GOW's signature chaotic hack and slash pace and fukkery moments?
It was by design
I forgot where I read it but the developers mentioned GOW being far from close to what they had intended and they had to cut out a lot of stuff
One major boss fight took nearly two years to develop
With the PS5, boss fights will be ALOT easier to develop
You really think they want to go through the hell they went through to create GOW by developing for both the PS4 and PS5?
Ragnarok will have at least 4-5+ huge boss fights combined with more ambitious level design and game ideas
Santa Monica should create gameplay and gameplay sequences not possible on the PS4
'Next gen' gameplay is what I expect :yeshrug:
Edit:
God of War “Was A Much More Ambitious, Crazier Game” – Barlog
From the article-
Barlog noted that there were meant to be “so many more” bosses from the outset. The game itself was a lot more ambitious as well. “We cut a lot of bosses. A lot. We had so many more. It was a much more ambitious, crazier game. And as you go through development, you start realizing, ‘No, it’s too big, we can’t do this.'”

One single boss required a team of 30 developers working for about 18 months, so cutting the total number was necessary to meet deadlines. “One boss takes like 30 developers a year and a half,” Barlog said. “It’s an absolutely massive scale when you really consider it, and you measure it against other games in which we finished the game in a year and a half.”

That’s not taking into account the fact that the team working on the bosses had other things to do in the development process. “It became a reality that some of these things will have to be cut,” said Barlog. One other interesting detail is how the Trolls were never meant to be boss fights from the outset.

Santa Monica's vision was and is still too ambitious for the PS4 :yeshrug:

Last edited:

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
Notice the amount of reused enemy models, the lack of people, the empty world, and most importantly, the lack of boss fights in the 1st game?
Or even the lack of GOW's signature chaotic hack and slash pace and fukkery moments?
It was by design
I forgot where I read it but the developers mentioned GOW being far from close to what they had intended and they had to cut out a lot of stuff
You really think they want to go through the hell they went through to create GOW by developing for both the PS4 and PS5?
Ragnarok will have at least 4-5+ huge boss fights combined with more ambitious level design and game ideas
Santa Monica should create gameplay and gameplay sequences not possible on the PS4
Edit:
From the article-
Barlog noted that there were meant to be “so many more” bosses from the outset. The game itself was a lot more ambitious as well. “We cut a lot of bosses. A lot. We had so many more. It was a much more ambitious, crazier game. And as you go through development, you start realizing, ‘No, it’s too big, we can’t do this.'”

One single boss required a team of 30 developers working for about 18 months, so cutting the total number was necessary to meet deadlines. “One boss takes like 30 developers a year and a half,” Barlog said. “It’s an absolutely massive scale when you really consider it, and you measure it against other games in which we finished the game in a year and a half.”

That’s not taking into account the fact that the team working on the bosses had other things to do in the development process. “It became a reality that some of these things will have to be cut,” said Barlog. One other interesting detail is how the Trolls were never meant to be boss fights from the outset.

What indicator do we have that this will be any different

humminbird

Veteran
Daps
It was by design
Edit:
From the article-

why do people think this would come out for ps4? it would be almost a whole year later when it releases

Brandeezy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
East ATL
Pretty sure Barlog isn't the creative director this time around. He said he wrote the story for future games but he's obviously not the main writer, especially considering that broad on Twitter saying that she's co-writing the game. I have a feeling Ragnarok was being worked on by a 2nd team around the same time as the first. Similarly to ND when they split teams to work on Uncharted 3 and TLOU at the same time.

I believe this dude is actually directing it

Eric Williams - IMDb

Daps
Pretty sure Barlog isn't the creative director this time around since he said he wouldn't be. He said he wrote the story for future games but he's obviously not the main writer, especially considering that broad on Twitter saying that she's co-writing the game. I have a feeling Ragnarok was being worked on by a 2nd team around the same time as the first. Similarly to ND when they split teams to work on Uncharted 3 and TLOU at the same time.
yep
it will probably have had almost 4 years of development if it releases late 2021