God Of War: Ragnarok (Nov. 9th, 2022) (PS4/PS5) (Valhalla DLC out 12/12/2023)

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
:why: this one of the best written games I ever played especially character dialogue
i didn't say it was poorly written - its just written like a marvel adventure or something lol... hard to believe this is even god of war anymore. they go from brutal kill animations to guardians of the galaxy banter in the same sequence it was legit jarring.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I’ve seen a few people say it feels like marvel writing and…..idk! I kind of like how marvel incorporates comedy into their movies, that actually can make you laugh (not like love and thunder) and i feel like Ragnarok is one of the few games that have jokes in it that are genuinely well timed and funny like marvel does.

The difference is, I feel like Ragnarok doesn’t go overboard with it by punctuating serious moments with a witty retort or punchline. They allow you to feel the darker or touching story segments and let it linger with you. So many moments where something profound is said or done, and they just pan the camera right back to the game and keep it moving.

Deezay

All Star
Daps
Reppin
These Kids
the spear is the game changer. I honestly didn’t think anything would top the FEEL of the axe for me, but the spear is honestly my number one weapon now. I didn’t even know you could make a fukking spear so fun in a video game. Might be the first time ever
That shyt is amazing

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
I’ve seen a few people say it feels like marvel writing and…..idk! I kind of like how marvel incorporates comedy into their movies, that actually can make you laugh (not like love and thunder) and i feel like Ragnarok is one of the few games that have jokes in it that are genuinely well timed and funny like marvel does.

The difference is, I feel like Ragnarok doesn’t go overboard with it by punctuating serious moments with a witty retort or punchline. They allow you to feel the darker or touching story segments and let it linger with you. So many moments where something profound is said or done, and they just pan the camera right back to the game and keep it moving.
side characters are legit cracking jokes and throwing barbs leading right up to the critical encounters

like.... if someone says they're kinda thrown by going from god of war's themes as a whole to "classic sindri. wow lol - okay, lets get serious", "mimir pls", "try not to laugh atreus" shyt then they're not bugging imo

its not even bad. it just doesn't match god of war with the extent they go to with it.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
side characters are legit cracking jokes and throwing barbs leading right up to the critical encounters

like.... if someone says they're kinda thrown by going from god of war's themes as a whole to "classic sindri. wow lol - okay, lets get serious", "mimir pls", "try not to laugh atreus" shyt then they're not bugging imo

its not even bad. it just doesn't match god of war with the extent they go to with it.

I’d like to pick this discussion up again in a couple weeks once everyones finished the game and we can openly discuss story segments without wrapping everything in spoilers, i feel like i have more to say on this subject.

KushSkywalker

Walker Lexus Ranger
Daps

I feel like it's being overstated. There are some lines that will make you laugh, and there is def a sort of mystical/magical vibe to the journey (appropriately btw considering all the magical tropes in game are FROM Norse mythology).

Marvels writing is often times piss poor, and the jokes completely ham fisted. In this game everyone felt very grounded and organic with their interactions imo. I seem to recall some funny one liners in 2018 too.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I feel like it's being overstated. There are some lines that will make you laugh, and there is def a sort of mystical/magical vibe to the journey (appropriately btw considering all the magical tropes in game are FROM Norse mythology).

Marvels writing is often times piss poor, and the jokes completely ham fisted. In this game everyone felt very grounded and organic with their interactions imo. I seem to recall some funny one liners in 2018 too.

Yeah, im not saying the overall writing is like marvel btw, I think its some of the jokes that share some of the same kind of humor of the better marvel stuff.

I think what @42 Monks is getting at is the tone of the game more so the writing and I think thats because you spend more time with the side characters. When its mostly Kratos carrying the game it felt more serious, he’s a stoic character. Now that Sindri, Brok, Mimir, etc. are featured more prominately it feelike more an ensemble cast so they bounce off each other a lot more.

I played god of war 1 and half of 2 before playing this and yeah, this series has dramatically changed since then and for the better. The original god of war games were just so badly written character to character. Just every woman walking around with their titties out and just randomly killing random innocent people. Just so dumb.

KushSkywalker

Walker Lexus Ranger
Daps
Yeah, im not saying the overall writing is like marvel btw, I think its some of the jokes that share some of the same kind of humor of the better marvel stuff.

I think what @42 Monks is getting at is the tone of the game more so the writing and I think thats because you spend more time with the side characters. When its mostly Kratos carrying the game it felt more serious, he’s a stoic character. Now that Sindri, Brok, Mimir, etc. are featured more prominately it feelike more an ensemble cast so they bounce off each other a lot more.

I played god of war 1 and half of 2 before playing this and yeah, this series has dramatically changed since then and for the better. The original god of war games were just so badly written character to character. Just every woman walking around with their titties out and just randomly killing random innocent people. Just so dumb.
Yea 2018 and Ragnarok made the OG trilogy obsolete to me. I do love those games too.

Who would have thought this kind of reimagining would have worked.

I remember feeling apprehensive about it.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Yea 2018 and Ragnarok made the OG trilogy obsolete to me. I do love those games too.

I’m praying sony can bring back twisted metal in the same way, lol

I loved TM2 and TMB but theres no way that shyt works in 2022.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina

i'm not even gonna get into the later stuff that REALLY threw me off, but come on now - they slapped mimir to a 90s QVC contraption and had him gag reeling out the gate. odin moving like a sopranos mid boss. people don't even take kratos seriously when he pull up like he's just hank hill with a mean beard - he's playing the straight man through important portions of the game and its just... weird.

okay - that's where we split at more than anything. and that's cool too fr

before 2018, GoW was my shyt and I still don't the new games have touched many of those high points yet.

KushSkywalker

Walker Lexus Ranger
Daps
i'm not even gonna get into the later stuff that REALLY threw me off, but come on now - they slapped mimir to a 90s QVC contraption and had him gag reeling out the gate. odin moving like a sopranos mid boss. people don't even take kratos seriously when he pull up like he's just hank hill with a mean beard - he's playing the straight man through important portions of the game and its just... weird.

okay - that's where we split at more than anything. and that's cool too fr

before 2018, GoW was my shyt and I still don't the new games have touched many of those high points yet.
To each their own.

I do love those games and remember them fondly.

Methodical

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Another Hateful fight in Vahaeim

mutombo-disgust.gif