God Of War: Ragnarok (Nov. 9th, 2022) (PS4/PS5) (Valhalla DLC out 12/12/2023)

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I didn't get much in this weekend, pretty sure I'm still early in the game.

It's cool that they actually gave you a reason to hunt down the Ravens instead of just a trophy this time. Still probably not doing it.

Was only partially expecting to play as someone other than Kratos. His segment played a lot faster, and smoother, but a good portion of that was that the enemies weren't leveled, as they would be with Kratos, and didn't have any kind of damage mitigation. I can already sense there'll be more playable character/sidekick fukkery though. Them using "Companion" in menus and tip pop-ups that would previously just said "Atreus" was a dead giveaway to me. I'm expecting fukkery going forward.

Flexington

All Star
Daps
My girl been playing too so the battle for the PS5 been serious :francis:

Finally got to put some decent time in and its already been said many times ITT but man this game is beautiful

At the start, I kind of wished I replayed GOW before this because my timing was so off as were my tactics from not playing for years - but now that I've had some time to adjust I'm happy I didn't.

It really is an expansion of the original combat, but the flow of things is much different - and there's more nuance to when/how you use your moves especially on the harder difficulties. More variety in the enemy groups, you really need to pay attention to crowd control and you can tell they intend for you to move throughout the battlefield as you do since there's more interactive items out there to help (explosive pots, debris, trees).

I love mythology in general so I like seeing how they're twisting elements of the mythos and incorporating kratos/atreus into it so well. I get the complaints, but the story interests me so much that I'm always playing for longer than is meant.

Just touched down in
Vanahiem
and yeah the pace of the story has picked up. I also like that there's more space to explore, and it's not all by boat this go round. But one thing I feel is we move fast af now, homie barely has time to get his stories off anymore

Cuban Pete

Aka 305DeadCounty
Daps
Reppin
SOHH ICEY MONOPOLY
Game is great, they didn't really change much from the last game in terms of mechanics, just made an expanded version of 2018's classic and took more time to explore other characters. Kratos feels like part of an ensemble now rather the the sole driving force. Only 2/3 of the way thru and already wondering where the next game will take us as i doubt there will be much left to explore with the norse gods.

tricky thing is people get a little senstive about other pantheons outside of Norse and Greek Mythlogy. Having Kratos killing egyptian gods might not go over as well for example. My prediction would be the Indian pantheons, like Shiva, Ghanesh etc, those are probably the next most well known and least likely to cause controversy.

Thats true, thats why Im not holding my breath on seeing Kratos fight Shango, Legba and Ogun (even though it would be epic) cause millions of people still believe in that pantheon, and even more people believe in the Hindu gods (both of those pantheons made it into the SMITE game though without controversy but GoW is a world wide phenomenon)

Coincidentally, alot of White pagans actually pray to Odin and Thor in modernity and they still made these games so who knows. I dont think Twitter Hoteps upset that an ashy Greek man is killing Osiris and Isis would stop them from making the next game in that setting.

But for the most part, the ancient Greek, Norse, and Egyptian religions are by and large pretty dead. Other mythologies not so much.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Game is great, they didn't really change much from the last game in terms of mechanics, just made an expanded version of 2018's classic and took more time to explore other characters. Kratos feels like part of an ensemble now rather the the sole driving force. Only 2/3 of the way thru and already wondering where the next game will take us as i doubt there will be much left to explore with the norse gods.

tricky thing is people get a little senstive about other pantheons outside of Norse and Greek Mythlogy. Having Kratos killing egyptian gods might not go over as well for example. My prediction would be the Indian pantheons, like Shiva, Ghanesh etc, those are probably the next most well known and least likely to cause controversy.

the spear is the game changer. I honestly didn’t think anything would top the FEEL of the axe for me, but the spear is honestly my number one weapon now. I didn’t even know you could make a fukking spear so fun in a video game. Might be the first time ever

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
Thats true, thats why Im not holding my breath on seeing Kratos fight Shango, Legba and Ogun (even though it would be epic) cause millions of people still believe in that pantheon, and even more people believe in the Hindu gods (both of those pantheons made it into the SMITE game though without controversy but GoW is a world wide phenomenon)

Coincidentally, alot of White pagans actually pray to Odin and Thor in modernity and they still made these games so who knows. I dont think Twitter Hoteps upset that an ashy Greek man is killing Osiris and Isis would stop them from making the next game in that setting.

But for the most part, the ancient Greek, Norse, and Egyptian religions are by and large pretty dead. Other mythologies not so much.
Yes, and i think they've shown signs that Egyptian is their next target. (at least in the last game- not spoiling this one i didn't notice anything so far)

that said with the ones that still have large followings...
The problem isn't just seeing your gods flex their powers though or the combat, which is how they can show up in Smite.
In the God of War series the gods are often portrayed very unflatteringly flawed and personal way. Seeing Ogun go beast mode wouldn't offend anybody even if he lost, but seeing him portrayed as a serial killer and a drunkard like Thor might press some buttons.

KRayner

All Star
Daps
for people who are farther ahead can you do the side quests later?

i wanna go through the story first and if possible, do the all side quests right before the final levels

Ari Gold Bawse

The Bawse of all Bosses
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
London
These Hateful fights

giphy.webp
First one I came across was whipping my ass so bad I thought I had stumbled upon it by mistake and wasn't supposed to fight so under leveled :mjlol: .

20 deaths later I killed that fiery c*nt :ohlawd:

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
for people who are farther ahead can you do the side quests later?

i wanna go through the story first and if possible, do the all side quests right before the final levels
Yeah, your companions will ask you at several points during the game whether or not you want to continue the main guest or explore side quests for a while.