Get Out (2017)

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
One of the greatest films I've seen this decade period. I avoided spoilers before I saw it and boy am I glad I did :wow:

Picking up on symbolism on top of symbolism in the theater was GOAT and then reading the interpretations in this thread that I hadn't considered was GOAT again :wow:

One comment I got about the white art merchant scene is that the dialogue was pure GENIUS. We see some of Chris's photography work in the very beginning of the film showcasing the black struggle in monochrome black & white no less :wow:. The art merchant explained how he became aware of Chris's work and goes into detail that the deeper/darker themes of Chris's work were lost on him until his assistant explained the images to him. It's a beautiful metaphor for how our struggle in America is invisible to white people even when the evidence is spelled out in black and white right in front of them. The art merchant began the conversation by dismissing the rest of his community for having no real world experience and a limited/sheltered world view... The reality this scene gets at is that white people will NEVER truly see America because they will never see it through black eyes.

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
@Mowgli
Did you see the movie?
Also do you thinking proper training would have help out?
I havnt seen it but I'm sure if he knew brazillian jujitsu ok girl wouldn't have bothered bringing him to meet her brainwashed family.

When you one brazillian jujitsu you send your opponents to the sunken place before you even grapple.

I'll def check it this weekend.

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
One of the most disturbing scenes of the film to me was when he woke up in the basement and it was a literal recreation of how he described his mother's death during the hypnosis. He was glued to the screen, paralyzed (strapped) in the chair and his failure to save his mother (deer mantle) was staring right into his soul :merchant: It begs the question of whether a crucial part of the buck breaking is finding each victim's most traumatic event and breaking them with it.

GoddamnyamanProf

Countdown to Armageddon
Daps
Before he even started choking her, I just knew police were gonna roll up and save her and either shoot him dead or he'd end up in prison. I was relieved in the theater it didnt go that way but the more I think about it, it wouldve been a more powerful ending. :jbhmm:

I wouldnt be surprised if one of those scenarios was an actual alternate ending. I noticed a few scenes from the trailer that didnt make it into the actual film so they probably left a lot on the cutting room floor.
Man fukk no why would you want that when that is already real life :dahell:.

You don't even make any sense and don't appreciate the movie .

Everyone in the theater had a huge sigh of relief because none of that happened .
https://www.google.com/amp/www.thewrap.com/jordan-peele-reveals-alternate-get-out-ending/amp/

Called it :yeshrug:

ThiefyPoo

Trill
Supporter
Daps
Let keep it funky a movie like this has never been done .

You think such a predictable ending would have been good ?

Real life would be cops showing up and killing him or jail .

I didn't wanna see that at all .

It would have showed damm go through all that and still ends in tragedy .

What message would that convey given the theme of the movie ?

He changed it because he knew that wasn't a good ending and he stated verbatim he wanted audience reaction at the movies . He purposely made you want to talk to the screen .

Everyone would have walked outta there like damn nikkas can't ever win :damn: .

GoddamnyamanProf

Countdown to Armageddon
Daps
Let keep it funky a movie like this has never been done .

You think such a predictable ending would have been good ?

Real life would be cops showing up and killing him or jail .

I didn't wanna see that at all .

It would have showed damm go through all that and still ends in tragedy .

What message would that convey given the theme of the movie ?

He changed it because he knew that wasn't a good ending and he stated verbatim he wanted audience reaction at the movies . He purposely made you want to talk to the screen .

Everyone would have walked outta there like damn nikkas can't ever win :damn: .
Yeah, I agree with Peele's assessment that, originally he wrote this shyt during the Obama years when things were "better" so it would have served as more of a wake up call, whereas in the current climate the ending they went with was the better choice as a sort of catharsis from the horrors in the real world.

Im also a horror nerd so I had all the horror tropes in mind too while watching, and Peele did hit on a lot of these (the monster being resurrected and needing to be defeated again, random jumpscares impeding escape, a callback to some previous aspect being used to finally defeat the monster, etc.) The biggest horror trope of all is the ending fakeout wherein the sole survivor and the audience think they are finally home free and safe, only to have the monster/killer return one last time and win as the credits roll.

The cops would have served this trope, as well as another less common one where a final big twist is revealed that shows you may have beaten the main threat but the danger is actually impossible to fully escape because the environment is not what we thought it was [Relief as Chris gets away from the monsters in this movie, this insane racist family, until we realize that the rest of the outside world (cops representing institutional racism) is just as much a threat.] All this of course in addition to brilliantly turning the cop trope itself on its head, as their arrival at the end of horror films usually means safety and victory for the survivor.

Like I said, Peele made the right decision in the end. Way more satisfying while still managing to drive home the points of the darker ending.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
One of the greatest films I've seen this decade period. I avoided spoilers before I saw it and boy am I glad I did :wow:

Picking up on symbolism on top of symbolism in the theater was GOAT and then reading the interpretations in this thread that I hadn't considered was GOAT again :wow:

One comment I got about the white art merchant scene is that the dialogue was pure GENIUS. We see some of Chris's photography work in the very beginning of the film showcasing the black struggle in monochrome black & white no less :wow:. The art merchant explained how he became aware of Chris's work and goes into detail that the deeper/darker themes of Chris's work were lost on him until his assistant explained the images to him. It's a beautiful metaphor for how our struggle in America is invisible to white people even when the evidence is spelled out in black and white right in front of them. The art merchant began the conversation by dismissing the rest of his community for having no real world experience and a limited/sheltered world view... The reality this scene gets at is that white people will NEVER truly see America because they will never see it through black eyes.
:justwow:

i didn't even think of this...i gotta see this movie again