Get Out (2017)

www.THUG.com

Trick Love Da Kids!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
D.C.
I only read a few pages of this thread and don't know if this was mentioned but

that was made too comedic was the scene where Rod went to the police station to report Chris' disappearance. This entire scene showed how Blacks, even as equals in a position of authority, aren't taken serious by Cops, more specifically minority Cops, and by our own overall.

The interaction between the city employees and the fed employee is a play on the hierarchy and relationships of govt employees. The city employees were shytting on the fed employee when in real life, it's the other way around. They didn't take him serious or believe him when he started that he had training in detecting suspicious activity.

The scene was more powerful by adding a Hispanic Cop which is a play on the Black/Hispanic relationship

I think they should have added flyers of missing Black people either hanging on the walls or sprawled across the desk. That way it would've really hit home of the amount of missing Black people and how these disappearances aren't taken as seriously as missing white people.

Hugs

All Star
Daps
Reppin
New Yawk
Did anyone think anything about her searching Google for black NCAA players to try and date? Could that go along with a vast majority of athletes who seem to only date white women when they become famous or am I reaching with that One? (Please let me know I won't be offended)

Microsoft fukking LOST :laff:

Their biggest waste of money since the Zune

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
This movie has already made over 75M$ with a 4.5M$ budget, retained over 79% of its revenues from its debut weekend. :whoo::salute:

Reviews and word-of-mouth/social media really are powerful because I didn't see a single interview and the trailer was :trash:.
I disagree the trailer made me want to see it because of how confusing it was and the fact that this movie came from peele...I had no clue what it was going to be (originally...prior to WOM reviews) but I was lured in by the trailer

www.THUG.com

Trick Love Da Kids!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
D.C.
thats what i really like about this movie: the discussion it generated on here..the layers upon layers

i've only met one person of color on my FB and twitter that didn't like this movie. She didn't like or get dark humor which made it awful to her :francis:

I didn't like the movie but I'm enjoying the discussions about it. To me, the discussion and deconstruction is much better. It's a film that makes you think of every facial expression, dialogue, relationship, movement, background, etc.

Peele could have made white audiences loose their shyt if

at the end when the cop car pulls up, you heard a barrage of gun shots. But it was Rod who lit the white girl up.

There would have been riots in the theater!

www.THUG.com

Trick Love Da Kids!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
D.C.
if this movie was done in reverse would it be racist?

onesheet.jpg

:popcorn3:

Nigerianwonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Most athletes and Jay Z.

It's a real thing though (not necessarily the "sunken place" literally, but anybody who has been around high level athletes in high school and college knows that white people - coaches, teachers, administrators, etc. - essentially try to separate them from the general Black population).

You mean the same Jay z that just produced the kalief browder story (Which you probably didn't support) and is putting on upcoming black filmakers and artist through Tidal and his ventures? That Jay Z?

Nigerianwonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This movie was horrifying because it was so real. Any black person who has every had to live or work around all white people has been Chris at some point. It takes our insecurities about those moments and validates our darkest fears. When your at a function or party with all white folks you try to convince yourself they are not all paying attention to you and looking at you.. Your white "friends" will even lie to you and tell you not to worry about it.. But just like when Chris went upstairs and all the white folks stopped what they were doing you see that they really were paying attention to him the whole time... That plays on our fears of being in those environments.. Once you leave the room how different do they act? Our natural instincts and "6th sense" tells us this is true but we try our hardest not to believe it. And for good reason.. We would be paranoid as fukk all the time everywhere we go..

But the honest truth is black folks really should be paranoid all the time. Thats the real the horrifying part of the movie. Realizing that just living in America as a black man is a horror film. And we have accepted that reality. The thought of the cops showing up at the end was not relief.. it was terrifying. The majority of whites voted for trump but only a small minority of them openly admit it. People who kill black children like zimmerman get millions in "anonymous" donations. We live amongst them outnumbered and we know they lie to our face daily.. our paranoia is more than justified.

I was having flashbacks watching this movie to when white boys at my old job would come up to my desk and ask me about the latest hip hop albums and stuff just assuming that's what I'm into. What this movie does is take all those moments like that where they ask you stupid questions and you chopped it up as just ignorance and racism and says that there is something even more sinister behind those interactions. And that is a truly horrifying thought.

BlackAchilles

Veteran
Daps
Aye its two weekends in the books now, fukk a spoiler tag, if you still ain't seen this :ufdup:

Saw it again and saw something I haven't seen mentioned before.

All of the black dudes had facial hair before they were abducted. When the cacs took over they all had no facial hair. I was telling my girl that black dudes with no facial hair look weird af. Also, facial hair is seen as threatening. I wonder if that's why they showed Chris shaving in the beginning (with a razor nonetheless :stopitslime: ). Was it so he could appear safe to Rose's family?

I thought about that too; funny tho I went in a group w/two bearded white dudes :heh:

The Asian homie in our group immediately got all this, I could tell :mjlol:

:patrice: what black celebrities would you say are in the Sunken Place?

Post jail Gucci Mane gets my vote :hubie:

Damn near all of em, especially those retired player NFL analysts

Nah but it seems to me like for them to let you stick around as a black celeb, you gotta put on the chopper suit :mjpls:

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
Saw it again and saw something I haven't seen mentioned before.

All of the black dudes had facial hair before they were abducted. When the cacs took over they all had no facial hair. I was telling my girl that black dudes with no facial hair look weird af. Also, facial hair is seen as threatening. I wonder if that's why they showed Chris shaving in the beginning (with a razor nonetheless :stopitslime: ). Was it so he could appear safe to Rose's family?

The lack of facial hair equates them to children :wow: