Get Out (2017)

Daps
Reppin
Eastside of that Motor
i like the movie, but the director is a straight c00n. :manny:

if you ever saw his sketch comedy, you'd see him for the try hard he is.

much of his comedy hinges on his believe that black ppl are arrogant for being who they are.

then he drives the point home by repeating the same joke thru the skit with little variance. like he won't even add a new element to build upon. :ld:

its like key & peele want to be dave's answer for dave's mocking of white ppl. only difference is dave mocked everybody.

the tsa dude who played the role of comic relief wasn't that funny, because key & peele aren't funny. they have a hard time representing the black experience to both black and white ppl at once. so the tsa dude was okay, but still came across and forced and well within the realm of key&peele characters who resist assimilation. they should be laughed at according to them.

but like i said, the movie is good. maybe key was holding peele back, because them together is all cringe and no comedy. :hubie:

i think jordan's axe to grind is that as a yuppie, whites won't accept him. but he betrays thru his portrayal of black ppl who resist cultural assimilation that he feels the same about nikkas. if nikkas don't assimilate, to him, they choose ignorance.

peele is one of those guys that says, "you're only saying i act white, because i speak proper english." nah, we're saying you act white because u let white ppl tell u what proper means. :ld:
Bruh I am saying I swear these people have not seen Key and Peele or just have some hidden agenda I can't agree with.
Anyone that says Key & Peele didn't make a sketch comedy show catered for white people clowning black people either didn't watch the show or are out of their minds :mindblown:

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
Ok, so a few notes before this post, and this might sound like hating but I'm really looking for insight from some movie buffs like yourselves. I'm not a filmhead by any means, and I am not a fan of K&P. I feel like their comedy central show was exactly what Chappelle walked away from CC and $50M and Key and Peele fell right in and co0ned it up for them. I honestly feel like they make comedy making fun of black people for white people. Might be my opinion but its how I feel.

Agreed. I went into the movie with the same opinion of K&P, the movie was nothing like their sketch comedy at all though for a large number of reasons.

So I finally saw it, was not impressed at all. This is like page 31 so no spoiler alert so read with caution if you haven't seen.

Film just didn't make sense to me and is literally a sketch Peele would gave done on K&P that would have had me like :martin:
For a hybrid comedy I did not laugh once. I love Lil Rel, but his lines (whether he wrote them or not) were not funny to be the big name comedian in the film. His role was also obvious to me form jump. He was literally at a distance the whole film, and I knew after the first phone call that he would be the one to save him. it was just very very predictable imo. I knew somehow he would drive out to the burbs and rescue dude.

As for the main storyline, the black vessels. These white folks take over black bodies just because? :gucci:
Not due to the stereotypical reason of athletic superiority, 'black don't crack', culture, 'dancing an rhythm', making lemons or lemonade or whatever other reason they could have implemented. But they literally abduct these people for no reason at all other than they like to? That failed to meet an appropriate climax.

The black 'vessels' are specifically targeted, Chris (the main character) was targeted because he was a talented photographer. The caretaker was targeted because he could run fast (he was probably a track and field runner). The entire premise is that combining the 'natural talent' of the black vessels with 'white intelligence' is their idea of the pinnacle of existence.
And as for the vessels themselves. One was a random old lady and one was a mutual acquaintance who isn't really his friend and can't recognize with a hat on even tho Rel knows him right away from a pic :gucci:
It would have been better if Georgina was more of a hidden character and turned out to be his mom or something who survived the crash :yeshrug: . I don't know the characters just didn't connect.

Maybe I'm just hating and one of you brehs can break it down for me a little more, but this was just not a good flick imo. The white dad with the grey hair was excellent in his role though.

What was the significance of the flash? Was it literally just a bright light to wake them up or did it not have a real meaning?
How would Marnie :pachaha: form a relationship w/ Georgina to the point of taking pics? I understand brothers she dated, but how an older lady?

Georgina isn't necessarily an older lady, she has the affect of an older lady because an old white lady's brain is inside her head.

I don't see how it's a stretch that Lil Rel immediately recognized Keith Stanfield's character from a photo, he clearly knew him better than Chris did. :yeshrug:

Daps
Reppin
Eastside of that Motor
Agreed. I went into the movie with the same opinion of K&P, the movie was nothing like their sketch comedy at all though for a large number of reasons.

The black 'vessels' are specifically targeted, Chris (the main character) was targeted because he was a talented photographer. The caretaker was targeted because he could run fast (he was probably a track and field runner). The entire premise is that combining the 'natural talent' of the black vessels with 'white intelligence' is their idea of the pinnacle of existence.

Georgina isn't necessarily an older lady, she has the affect of an older lady because an old white lady's brain is inside her head.

I don't see how it's a stretch that Lil Rel immediately recognized Keith Stanfield's character from a photo, he clearly knew him better than Chris did. :yeshrug:
Now this is how you respond to a young breh's question.

This broke it down a bit. But I still didn't see a "point" in abducting black people. It wasn't like they were sick or dying or something and melanin was the antidote. Maybe I'm reading into this too much but I just didn't see why African Americans were exclusively chosen to be vessels instead of just superior bodies. Like I said they didn't choose to act on any black stereotypes for the vessels.

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
Now this is how you respond to a young breh's question.

This broke it down a bit. But I still didn't see a "point" in abducting black people. It wasn't like they were sick or dying or something and melanin was the antidote. Maybe I'm reading into this too much but I just didn't see why African Americans were exclusively chosen to be vessels instead of just superior bodies. Like I said they didn't choose to act on any black stereotypes for the vessels.

The black vessels are not looked at as "human" in the first place, they wouldn't kidnap white bodies because they see other white people as actually being people. At the same time they see black people as being stronger, better endowed and more talented than they are. The movie is just personifying the way that white people actually see us... A genepool of superior physicality/talent that is wasted on inferior minds.

Daps
Reppin
Eastside of that Motor
The black vessels are not looked at as "human" in the first place, they wouldn't kidnap white bodies because they see other white people as actually being people. At the same time they see black people as being stronger, better endowed and more talented than they are. The movie is just personifying the way that white people actually see us... A genepool of superior physicality/talent that is wasted on inferior minds.
3/5ths a person 5/3rds an NBA player I get it

flo

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Ok, so a few notes before this post, and this might sound like hating but I'm really looking for insight from some movie buffs like yourselves. I'm not a filmhead by any means, and I am not a fan of K&P. I feel like their comedy central show was exactly what Chappelle walked away from CC and $50M and Key and Peele fell right in and co0ned it up for them. I honestly feel like they make comedy making fun of black people for white people. Might be my opinion but its how I feel.

So I finally saw it, was not impressed at all. This is like page 31 so no spoiler alert so read with caution if you haven't seen.

Film just didn't make sense to me and is literally a sketch Peele would gave done on K&P that would have had me like :martin:
For a hybrid comedy I did not laugh once. I love Lil Rel, but his lines (whether he wrote them or not) were not funny to be the big name comedian in the film. His role was also obvious to me form jump. He was literally at a distance the whole film, and I knew after the first phone call that he would be the one to save him. it was just very very predictable imo. I knew somehow he would drive out to the burbs and rescue dude.

As for the main storyline, the black vessels. These white folks take over black bodies just because? :gucci:
Not due to the stereotypical reason of athletic superiority, 'black don't crack', culture, 'dancing an rhythm', making lemons or lemonade or whatever other reason they could have implemented. But they literally abduct these people for no reason at all other than they like to? That failed to meet an appropriate climax.

And as for the vessels themselves. One was a random old lady and one was a mutual acquaintance who isn't really his friend and can't recognize with a hat on even tho Rel knows him right away from a pic :gucci:
It would have been better if Georgina was more of a hidden character and turned out to be his mom or something who survived the crash :yeshrug: . I don't know the characters just didn't connect.

Maybe I'm just hating and one of you brehs can break it down for me a little more, but this was just now a good flick imo. The white dad with the grey hair was excellent in his role though.

What was the significance of the flash? Was it literally just a bright light to wake them up or did it not have a real meaning?
How would Marnie :pachaha: form a relationship w/ Georgina to the point of taking pics? I understand brothers she dated, but how an older lady?
Georgina and Rose were friends. And she wasn't an older lady.

Daps
Reppin
Eastside of that Motor
Georgina and Rose were friends. And she wasn't an older lady.
Maybe I missed it but what was the trigger showing Rose and Georgina were friends? All I saw was the poloroid with Marnie. It looked like all the other brothers were boyfriends so all I could gather was a lesbian relationship but that just didn't make sense.

And she looked at least 50 imo that's why I called her older

SirBiatch

Prince of Persia. Stalked for daps
Daps
forgot to give my 2c on this movie.

I was surprised at how good it was, considering that a) the horror genre aint my thing and b) I don't fukk with Key and Peele on any level. This is probably the best-written film I've seen in a year at least. No plotholes. Stuff made sense.

My minor gripe: i wish the lead character was more charismatic. Overall, an 8/10 movie.

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
3/5ths a person 5/3rds an NBA player I get it

There's other stuff going on in the movie as well... there's a very interesting dissection of white paternalism in terms of the relationship between the white family and their black servants/subordinates.

I dug up an interesting interview the other day about a white man recounting why he felt that his black servants yearned for white paternalism as opposed to economic equality (:laff::mjpls: )

JONATHAN WORTH DANIELS:
Yes. We had a gardener and a maid and two nurses and a cook. And of course they were paid nothing. I don't mean to say that my mother and father were particular scrooges. They paid at least the going rate. Of course there was a very clear difference between black and white, but there was a very intimate relationship, too. Now that may be difficult for your generation to quite understand, the closeness of the ties. It was paternalism complete, but in our time we've become a little too unsympathetic with paternalism, because it did put a heart into a relationship even if it didn't put equality into a relationship. And where somebody was suffering or anything, my mother and father were quick to try to help. And I thought of our servants as just practically members of the family.
CHARLES EAGLES:
Do you remember any of them in particular?
JONATHAN WORTH DANIELS:
Oh, yes, Sophie and Harriet were the nurses, and I remember them particularly well. Have you read a book called South to a Very Old Place?
CHARLES EAGLES:
Yes.
JONATHAN WORTH DANIELS:
He makes a very good point there about how the negro mammy has been . . . He chose me and Faulkner to both be talking too damn much about that. He's right. The notion that the mammy really took the place of the mama didn't really exist. And it came to the point where having a mammy and saying you had a mammy was almost like saying your folks would have had a mansion if Sherman hadn't burned it down. It was a status symbol with many people. And the mammy was as often a yellow slut as a black angel. It's become a romanticized symbol.
CHARLES EAGLES:
Well, which were Sophie and Harriet?
JONATHAN WORTH DANIELS:
Harriet was mine.
CHARLES EAGLES:
I mean were they the black angels or the yellow sluts? [Laughter]
JONATHAN WORTH DANIELS:
They were both pretty damn good women. But Harriet had a great sense of cynicism. And both of them, you know, they were great snobs, particularly about white people. Even today on this island, though you wouldn't get anybody to admit it, the blacks would rather work for the quality, even though they don't make quite as much, than work for somebody that they didn't think was up like that. So at the end of slavery, they didn't adopt the names of Henry Lloyd Garrison and people like that; they adopted the names of their old masters. I remember once my brother, when he was getting older—Sophie was still around—he started going with a girl in Raleigh who was perfectly all right.
CHARLES EAGLES:
This is your brother Josephus?
JONATHAN WORTH DANIELS:
Yes. And one day Sophie said to him, "Boy, you've got to do better than that." [Laughter] Yes, they were great snobs. And they were very kind people.
CHARLES EAGLES:
How long were Sophie and Harriet around?
JONATHAN WORTH DANIELS:
Harriet was around until, I would say, very nearly 1930.
CHARLES EAGLES:
Then she went to Washington with the family.
JONATHAN WORTH DANIELS:
No, she didn't. My Uncle Henry occupied the house in Raleigh, and she stayed there. But she came back to Wakestone, and then we pensioned her and kept her in the St. Agnes Hospital for a number of years until she died.
CHARLES EAGLES:
You actually paid her bills while she was in the hospital.
JONATHAN WORTH DANIELS:
Oh, sure. That was standard. And I don't think that was just with us. Almost all decent white people looked out for their blacks. That was part of that paternalism I was talking about. And of course there were some of the meanest in the white family, the white community, that ever...That's one thing I keep on trying to make people understand, that there are white sons of bytches and black sons of bytches, and good blacks and good whites. Sometimes we just sort of draw the line, as if the whites are all b*stards and the blacks are all mistreated angels, or vice versa.

Documenting the American South: Oral Histories of the American South

The vast majority of the "creepiness" of the movie is directly derived from the reality of the white social codes and arrangements it mocks.

flo

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Maybe I missed it but what was the trigger showing Rose and Georgina were friends? All I saw was the poloroid with Marnie. It looked like all the other brothers were boyfriends so all I could gather was a lesbian relationship but that just didn't make sense.

And she looked at least 50 imo that's why I called her older
She's like 30 something lol

betty-getout.jpg

They could have been lesbians, they could have been friends, either instance works.

Supa

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Maybe I'm just hating and one of you brehs can break it down for me a little more, but this was just now a good flick imo. The white dad with the grey hair was excellent in his role though.

HQGaGtO.gif