Get Out (2017)

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
This movie was horrifying because it was so real. Any black person who has every had to live or work around all white people has been Chris at some point. It takes our insecurities about those moments and validates our darkest fears. When your at a function or party with all white folks you try to convince yourself they are not all paying attention to you and looking at you.. Your white "friends" will even lie to you and tell you not to worry about it.. But just like when Chris went upstairs and all the white folks stopped what they were doing you see that they really were paying attention to him the whole time... That plays on our fears of being in those environments.. Once you leave the room how different do they act? Our natural instincts and "6th sense" tells us this is true but we try our hardest not to believe it. And for good reason.. We would be paranoid as fukk all the time everywhere we go..

But the honest truth is black folks really should be paranoid all the time. Thats the real the horrifying part of the movie. Realizing that just living in America as a black man is a horror film. And we have accepted that reality. The thought of the cops showing up at the end was not relief.. it was terrifying. The majority of whites voted for trump but only a small minority of them openly admit it. People who kill black children like zimmerman get millions in "anonymous" donations. We live amongst them outnumbered and we know they lie to our face daily.. our paranoia is more than justified.

I was having flashbacks watching this movie to when white boys at my old job would come up to my desk and ask me about the latest hip hop albums and stuff just assuming that's what I'm into. What this movie does is take all those moments like that where they ask you stupid questions and you chopped it up as just ignorance and racism and says that there is something even more sinister behind those interactions. And that is a truly horrifying thought.
I swear y'all unwoke dudes got a reality check from a movie. Y'all been should have had this many years ago. Y'all thought us woke brehs and brehettes are just overracting but nope, we aren't.

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
:russ:
C7Nzt-uWwAAPDNT.jpg

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
You mean Maxine, and she was not remotely ghetto. Nor did she bring "other black folks to laugh at him". When something outlandish and unbelievable happens to a character, when they contact the authorities they are never believed. From their perspective it sounds absolutely ridiculous.
He was kinda right and kinda wrong. I definitely wouldn't put her on all Black women but I will say that Black people, both tend to not care about each other as much as they care about white life.

Benjamin Sisko

Still that resident truth-bringer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO
Sohhh anyone can explain why Snoop Dogg attacked the protagonist at the party when he saw the flashed ? It seemed like he was warning him, but it also seemed like the protagonist violated him. He didn't react like "grandpa" at the end when the black guy was his full self when he saw the flash.

Sensitive Christian Grey

The Fisher King
Daps
Reppin
Welsh Hills
Sohhh anyone can explain why Snoop Dogg attacked the protagonist at the party when he saw the flashed ? It seemed like he was warning him, but it also seemed like the protagonist violated him. He didn't react like "grandpa" at the end when the black guy was his full self when he saw the flash.

I see it as both that and him attempting to confront the old man possessing him, trying to retake control but because this is the first time (presumably) he's feeble and can't do anything

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
He didn't attack him. He was telling him to get out of this place.

He kept saying "Get Out!, Get Out!" That was when Logan was awake for a split second

Jesus

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NZ
Noticed a major plothole unless I missed something....how the fukk did he stuff his ears with cotton if his hands were tied? :mindblown:

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
It's so early though. This movie came out on Oscars weekend.
It probably won't be fresh in Academy voters' minds a full year from now.
What was the last February release that won Oscars the following year?:jbhmm:
This. Way too early. Even John Goodman was ling forgotten for best supporting actor last year and 10 Cloverfield lane came out in March.

Only grand Budapest hotel came out this early and won shyt recently

NOSaintsFan02

Superstar
Daps
He didn't attack him. He was telling him to get out of this place.

He kept saying "Get Out!, Get Out!" That was when Logan was awake for a split second
That, and if we really wanna dig deep (and I'm not suggesting Peele even thought this deep about it), the grandma/grandpa were the prototypes since they were assumedly the first to get the procedure on them. So a flash to them probably had more effect on waking their original black conscious up than Logan who had the procedure done on him when lots of kinks could have been fixed by then.

• Dap
Reactions: flo

CBSkyline

Chill
Daps
One thing I haven't seen mentioned is the meaning of the woman who lured Black people there being named Rose. Based on how that character played out, I took her name to be a play on the term "Rose colored glasses" or the perception many watching the film had of believing that maybe she wasn't in on it(viewing her from an optimistic perspective), until all doubt was firmly removed from the equation. Or a better way of putting it, is until the perspective/lens we viewed her in was finally taken off.

Coli Bot

DM ME YOU WON
Daps
Reppin
BK
I gotta give myself props for working out the cotton thing before everyone else. The very first shot of it and I knew what he was going to do with it.

Am the only one who found the black female cop fine as hell?

Good film yall!