Georgia 6th Congressional District Special Election - (Handel WINS 52%-48% over Ossoff)

Jhoon

Spontaneous Mishaps and Hijinks
Daps
23.9 million raised by ossoff alone

The money behind the most expensive U.S. House race in history | Issue One

Just embarrassing I tell ya. I should've learned from being told hillary could flip florida. I'm doing my own research from now on. I would've called this shyt an impossible victory weeks ago.
It was always an impossible victory. It's an affluent district. When she declared that living wages were doa, she won. No rich person is willingly going to give up their shyt. Either you take it, or they're going to come to their senses realizing the poor outnumber them 20/1.

the next guy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
@4d
There is no democrat who would win there.

Ossoff did everything right. People voted.
So then why complain about bernie bros? Why slam bernie for not talking to the south when it's trumpland anyway, why even blow 32 million?

You talk about they hate minorities so lets ask ourselves a question: If the dems had dropped illegal immigrants staying (as you proposed for years), would that get more white people to vote dem? This is not not really about "minorities" this was always about amnesty (as you might feel) correct?

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
@4d

So then why complain about bernie bros?
you all are annoying anarchists with no skin in the game or interest in helping an existing framework. We have Dems in office. Bernie's movement hasn't gotten anyone elected.
Why slam bernie for not talking to the south when it's trumpland anyway, why even blow 32 million?
Because Bernie made mistakes. Ossoff made no mistakes.

This isn't a "if you can't criticize A, then you can't criticize B"

Thats just more simplistic thinking.

You talk about they hate minorities so lets ask ourselves a question: If the dems had dropped illegal immigrants staying (as you proposed for years), would that get more white people to vote dem?
I honestly think so. I also posted this thread about this exact issue:

The Atlantic: How the Democrats Lost Their Way on Immigration

This is not not really about "minorities" this was always about amnesty (as you might feel) correct?
Minorities have always existed. White people can't entire get rid of us. They can work with us to make them feel less threatened. Thats why illegals is such a blatant violation.

Gays are already going back to the right wing because of the democrats embracing muslims. Gays see muslims as a more direct and blatant threat to their livelihood.

What’s Attracting Gay Men to the Fascist, White Nationalist Alt-Right?

General Mills

More often than not I tend to take that L.
Daps
Reppin
Piffsburgh, PA
The dem shills are

full

If he would have won there would be legit confetti dropping from the Coli rafters.
VWr91.gif

Even Nap would have been chilling in the cut like a proud dad watching his only son who made it.

tenor.gif

But now that he lost its all...

He never had a chance.:yeshrug: no way he was going to win.:ehh: knowing damn well they had champagne on ice waiting for this victory. Just admit the L and move on. :gucci:

Dems spent a ton of money just to lose a race they could never win?:gucci: cmon b

the next guy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
you all are annoying anarchists with no skin in the game or interest in helping an existing framework. We have Dems in office. Bernie's movement hasn't gotten anyone elected. Because Bernie made mistakes. Ossoff made no mistakes.

This isn't a "if you can't criticize A, then you can't criticize B"

Thats just more simplistic thinking.

I honestly think so. I also posted this thread about this exact issue:

The Atlantic: How the Democrats Lost Their Way on Immigration

Minorities have always existed. White people can't entire get rid of us. They can work with us to make them feel less threatened. Thats why illegals is such a blatant violation.

Gays are already going back to the right wing because of the democrats embracing muslims. Gays see muslims as a more direct and blatant threat to their livelihood.

What’s Attracting Gay Men to the Fascist, White Nationalist Alt-Right?
Ossoff made a lot of mistakes. He ran a selfie campaign. And I'm glad we can admit it here: others are catching blowback from the illegal immigration issue. Here's the thing though: Latinos are more volatile then blacks. Dems are stuck between a rock and hard place on this.

Last edited:

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
that cat was never gonna win. don't believe all that hope nonsense they were showing on TV. When it came time to show and prove, the republicans came out and were not gonna lose a district that was theirs to begin. Some of yall fell for the bullshyt, but not this nikka.

King Kreole

natural blondie like goku
Daps
I come back and some of y'all still don't get it. This is politics, the tribal art of selling a dream. People want to believe in something bigger than themselves, and Democrats are still peddling this stale centrist garbage. 0 big ideas. Ossoff practically sprinted away from campaining on any meaningful ideas, and y'all are scratching your heads.

Yes, this was an ancestrally Red district. So unless they hear something meaningful from the other side, the voters are going to go with what they know. Why in God's name would they vote for Ossof playing Republican-lite when they can just go with the real thing? Give people a truly alternative choice and see what happens. Shock the system and loosen the soil. Firstly, it'll drive turnout of the disengaged, and secondly it'll peel off some voters who are voting R out of habit.

These centrists Dems throwing their hands up in the wake of L after L are as pathetic as they are hilarious. It's like the kid who complains the game must be broken because he can't beat it. Here's your daily reminder that Trump flipped around 1/3 of the counties that voted for Obama. The political landscape is malleable. You just have to have a truly affecting message and compete, something the Democrats are too incompetent and corrupt to even realize with their hollow dead shyt ideology. Go left, young man. Not only is it morally righteous, it's strategically smart.

Bye for now.

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
Jon Ossoff’s Loss Should Be a Lesson to Corporate Democrats
It’s time to bury the Panera Bread strategy.
By D.D. GuttenplanTwitter

TODAY 10:09 AM

• Jon Ossoff addresses his supporters after his defeat in Georgia's Sixth Congressional District special election. (Reuters / Chris Aluka Berry)

I woke up to news this morning that Jon Ossoff’s failure to flip Georgia’s Sixth Congressional District will “come as a crushing emotional blow to Democrats.” Well, not this Democrat. And not just because, as I wrote back in April, “an Ossoff victory would represent a repudiation of Trump, but not our broken politics.”

The 30-year-old political novice announced his campaign with the invitation to “make Trump furious”—an aim impossible to resist, if not exactly difficult to achieve, since “furious” and “smug” seem to be the Trumpster’s only working gears. And though Ossoff’s decision to run an issue-lite, centrist campaign aimed at wooing moderate Republicans and disaffected women might have been a questionable tactic, the army of fired-up Georgia women who answered his call—and who told my colleague Joan Walsh that they intend to stay involved in politics—should remind progressives that local knowledge matters. What works just fine in Manhattan might not fly in Montana, or in Cobb County, Georgia.

Even in local terms though, there were problems with Ossoff, whose failure to actually live in the district he wanted to represent made it easier for the Republicans to attack him as an “outsider.” Still, he would have been a huge improvement over Karen Handel, a perennial Republican candidate whose main previous claim to fame was her effort, as vice president of the Susan G. Komen cancer charity, to defund Planned Parenthood.

My own reservations about Ossoff were about strategy, not tactics. As we were reminded time and again by the media, an Ossoff win would have also been a victory over the left. It would have been trumpeted as vindication of “a decidedly un-Sanders-like vision of the future” and cited as proof that Democrats who “want to win” should follow his model and explicitly rule out raising taxes on the wealthy and firmly oppose “any move” towards single-payer health care. It’s tempting to argue that wasn’t Ossoff’s fault. After all, it was former Clinton aide Brian Fallon, not Ossoff, who came up with the “Panera Bread strategy”—essentially a rationale for appealing to suburban voters in swing districts rather than spending time or money trying to expand the Democratic party’s base among working-class voters, minorities, or millennials—which is really just a new name for the kind of triangulation that put Bill Clinton in the White House. As the career of its current master Rahm Emanuel suggests, that kind of politics can still be effective. But it was never progressive, and not even the backing of Daily Kosor the Working Families Party—who both worked hard, and effectively, on Ossoff’s behalf—can change that.

Nobody forced Ossoff to dismiss single payer, or held a gun to his head and made him use dog-whistle language about “both parties in Washington” wasting taxpayer dollars. Those messages weren’t aimed at Georgia voters; they were aimed at funders, like the supposed pragmatists at the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee who stiffed James Thompson in Kansas and spent a paltry $340,000 on Rob Quist’s race in Montana, but lavished millions on Ossoff’s equally doomed campaign.

So no, I’m not sorry he lost. The Tea Party didn’t take over the Republican Party—and rise to national power—by celebrating the victories of its adversaries. And in the struggle for control—or if you want to be poetic, for “the soul”—of the Democratic Party, we need to be clear not just on what we stand for, but on who stands against us. Corporate Democrats and the whole corrupt culture of consultants who suck the life and drain the principles out of any progressive movement need to be fought, not “friended”—even on Facebook. We don’t all have to agree on everything—our diversity is a source of strength, not just demographically but also in the issues we lift up and the tactics we use. But we have to agree on some core set of issues that includes racial justice, environmental justice, economic justice, access to health care—including safe and legal abortion—as well as access to higher education, the freedom to practice solidarity at work, and the right to love whomever we choose.

That is what liberation means. And as the activist Waleed Shahid points out, it is also smart politics. After all, the opposing strategy was summed up succinctly by one of its chief architects, Chuck Schumer, who last July infamously boasted, “For every blue-collar Democrat we lose in western Pennsylvania, we will pick up two moderate Republicans in the suburbs in Philadelphia, and you can repeat that in Ohio and Illinois and Wisconsin.” We saw how that worked out.

By “repeating the mistakes of 2016 and expecting different results” says Shahid, Democrats risk turning off the vast majority of the party base who failed to turn out last November. Jon Ossoff’s defeat is just the latest evidence that simply being against Donald Trump isn’t enough. To win Democrats need to tell voters what they’re for—and to do that effectively, they need to stop running scared and let progressives, who don’t need focus groups or consultants to know what we’re for, take the lead.
Jon Ossoff’s Loss Should Be a Lesson to Corporate Democrats

Dr. Acula

Hail Hydra
Supporter
Daps
I think people need to stop falling for the habit of overcorrecting "problems". I blame the media who has no idea how to properly parse out this stuff without going from one extreme to another to get eyes on a story.

Just some things to note

-this is a wealthy, educated, mostly white district who I don't think are interested in economic populism as much as say a former factory worker from Wisconsin. They are higher on the hierarchy of needs in what appeals to them. While I agree a more progressive message nationally is needed, it's not needed in this already wealthy district of republicans who have homed in on tax cuts for their pocketbooks. They are of the mindset "all the lazy bums who don't have as much money as me need to work harder". Not saying they're lost but this was a tough hill to climb. Moderation IN THIS DISTRICT was probably the best strategy.

-to add on above, again people are way too binary about his stuff. It's not about moral victories as it is taking an objective look at data and noticing a trend. All these special elections so far have been for seats vacated by those now working in the administration. They were chosen because republicans aren't stupid enough to vacant a toss up seat. In this case you had a seat go from 24+ R to 5+ R or so. That is something worth taking note of even if you did not win. See how that trend carries into 2018 in other districts.