George Lucas Says "Fans Would Have Hated" His Star Wars Sequels

semicko82

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Hard to pin point specifics but I just thought they were enjoyable. They actually made me appreciate the OG movies more. I saw em when I was young but I didn't really connect with them.

And everybody hates Hayden Christensen and I love him :mjlol: especially in the third movie. When I worked retail I saw these dorks camp outside and form lines across streets to watch these movies only to become the saddest sacks of shyt on earth because he ruined their lives and they wanted to ruin his back. I understand the critiques but I thought they did the mythology, which is what I really fukk with more so than the actual movies. I tell the Jehova Witnesses I'm a Jedi when they come to my door with that bullshyt.
Hayden was horrible in the prequels but it wasnt his fault.

I agree the prequels do enhance the stories and the Disney movies dont know what direction they want to go.

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
I still ultimately place blame on Kennedy...she let RJ bush whatever JJ established in TFA, with his vision of TLJ. She let Disney bush the EU canon, bush Lucas' advice/ideas. She may have been w/ LF prior to disney, but ever since they made her head, she's been terrible for the franchise.

Claudex

Lord have mercy!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Motherland
This whole thing is a perfect illustration of the essential "problem" with people.

Star Wars OT ain't even all that gripping. I don't sit and watch them when they come on.

In fact, I'd be more inclined to stop and watch scenes from the prequels. In Sci fi type of flicks I only tend to rewatch the action and cool shyt. Star Wars OT is somewhat short on dope ass fights or chases

Basically a really decent Trilogy is what the original Star Wars was

Then the fans got to jerking off to it endlessly over the next several years to the point where Phantom Menace couldn't even just be it's own movie. Everyone who saw it "woulda did it like this"

Mind you, this guy INVENTED the Summer blockbuster, but every single fan knows more than he does

They let their hype for a new movie in the series overwhelm the actual movie. In fact, there's probably no product that could have been delivered that would make the fans feel like the hype was lived up to

So they berate the poor guy to the point where he trolls them and let's someone else do it

And howdy doody boy oh boy did Disney screw the pooch. It's all KK's fault for not having a damn plan and just letting it happen haphazardly. And having no Earthly clue what these fans wanna see

So now the fans will not admit that they fukced up. They could have been polite to the man and maybe he would have kept going but they will likely never get another "real" Star Wars again.

They whined themselves out of their object of obsession. Like a bunch of ungrateful ass kids who have their field trip cancelled en route cause they can't be the fukc quiet for 5 minutes

Even after Lucas and Disney both walk away from SW they will still be out there biching at max volume about why nobody wants their asses.

This really is it in a nutshell! :laff::laff::laff:
It all boils down to a expectations vs reality issue.

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I actually like/ the prequels more than the OG shyt.

I know for Star Wars stans that's like a punchable offense but fukk it. I woulda been down with the whills, sounds way more interesting than what they have done with the franchise.

I even fukk with Jar Jar now that I've been convinced he was a sith lord on the low.

:youngsabo:
Actually I believe the real Star Wars fans (the ones that dive deeper than the movies) at the least like the story that was told throughout the prequel movies.

The new Star Wars regime seems to be lead by "Star Wars fans" that seen the og trilogy when they were kids and hated the prequels. Little to no knowledge about what was introduced in the old EU. Also feel a good number of fans fall in this category

Rayzah

I'm Everywhere you ain't never there
Daps
This whole thing is a perfect illustration of the essential "problem" with people.

Star Wars OT ain't even all that gripping. I don't sit and watch them when they come on.

In fact, I'd be more inclined to stop and watch scenes from the prequels. In Sci fi type of flicks I only tend to rewatch the action and cool shyt. Star Wars OT is somewhat short on dope ass fights or chases

Basically a really decent Trilogy is what the original Star Wars was

Then the fans got to jerking off to it endlessly over the next several years to the point where Phantom Menace couldn't even just be it's own movie. Everyone who saw it "woulda did it like this"

Mind you, this guy INVENTED the Summer blockbuster, but every single fan knows more than he does

They let their hype for a new movie in the series overwhelm the actual movie.
In fact, there's probably no product that could have been delivered that would make the fans feel like the hype was lived up to

So they berate the poor guy to the point where he trolls them and let's someone else do it

And howdy doody boy oh boy did Disney screw the pooch. It's all KK's fault for not having a damn plan and just letting it happen haphazardly. And having no Earthly clue what these fans wanna see

So now the fans will not admit that they fukced up. They could have been polite to the man and maybe he would have kept going but they will likely never get another "real" Star Wars again.

They whined themselves out of their object of obsession. Like a bunch of ungrateful ass kids who have their field trip cancelled en route cause they can't be the fukc quiet for 5 minutes

Even after Lucas and Disney both walk away from SW they will still be out there biching at max volume about why nobody wants their asses.
10000%
Star wars was only amazing cause in the 70's that was revolutionary special effects included with a better than average story and a really good plot twist ending. They were good but no where near worth the hype that has been created over the last 30+ years. So the prequels and the last few movies to ME were no worse or no more boring than the original 3. I did however walk out of the last one cause I just wasn't interested enough to see how it ended..

An I never for the life of me understood why people thought the story could be told better by someone other than the guy that created it in the first place, that's some true stan nerd logic. They wanted this so bad they worked themselves into a shoot
Star wars fans are insufferable. They complain about everything which is why JJ had to play it so safe with TFA. TLJ takes some chances and while it had its problems it had some really dope scenes, the tag team fight with kylo & Rey in the throne room is one of the sickest & fans massacred it. Now we're about to get a safe conclusion. Most of the films are entertaining, they're all flawed. People love being critical.

The critics of today are the worst, they will never admit to anything being great, they just want likes, and clicks on their blogs

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Most Star Wars fans will automatically hate anything outside of the original movies and maybe the Clone Wars cartoon.

I consider myself a Star Wars fan, but it is what it is, the fanbase will never be happy. Chalk it up to the game. :yeshrug:

Daps
Reppin
NULL
I will say this. I'm not a big fan of the prequels... but at least they had a clear vision and I knew that they were building up for something big.
With this new trilogy, I don't really know or care what they're building up to.

They've pretty much bushed all of the OG characters, and none of these new leads are strong enough to carry the storyline on their own IMO. None of them have clear motivations. At least the prequels had an endgame (as much as I don't care for those movies).

I will admit though, that as Star Wars fans, some of us (myself included) have a problem with hating on anything outside of the OG Trilogy. I'm gonna have to swallow my pride and start giving the EU a chance. I hear great things about the Thrawn Trilogy.

taker597

Superstar
Daps
I will say this. I'm not a big fan of the prequels... but at least they had a clear vision and I knew that they were building up for something big.
With this new trilogy, I don't really know or care what they're building up to.

They've pretty much bushed all of the OG characters, and none of these new leads are strong enough to carry the storyline on their own IMO. None of them have clear motivations. At least the prequels had an endgame (as much as I don't care for those movies).

I will admit though, that as Star Wars fans, some of us (myself included) have a problem with hating on anything outside of the OG Trilogy. I'm gonna have to swallow my pride and start giving the EU a chance. I hear great things about the Thrawn Trilogy.
I agree. George director skills where never that great and his writing at this point was beyond dreadful. Yet, he had a clear vision of what is Star Wars. He build a fantastic world even in the prequel. He even did a fantastic job at being original. I really wish Disney would of gotten Lucas more involved, but Disney wanna have their own goons run this like typical heartless blockbuster hollywood films. Lucas's Star Wars was the furthest thing from that kind of product. It had heart. When I watch these new films. It just doesn't have the charm/heart or that Star Wars feel. It's like some Frankenstein Star Wars with using horrible hollywood tropes, emotionless dialogue, and stereotypical characters that never fit into Star Wars.

blankstairz

Superstar
Daps
George put his heart and soul into this franchise.

Most artists feel some type of way when their art is critiqued/heavily scrutinized.

George damn dear died getting this franchise off the ground, and it consumed his life. He had a lot of ideas for other movies. He said Star Wars just became a monster and took over.

Remember, this was only going to be one 1 movie. He made it too long, split into 3 movies and the rest is history.

Do some fans go overboard? Yes. That sh*t with Kelly Marie Tran was totally uncalled for. :martin:
Personally, I f*cks with the prequels, in spite of their problems. Hey, it's Star Wars. :hubie:

However, some of the critiques (not personal attacks) were/are warranted. :manny:

Revenge of the Sith, the best of the prequels, would not have been released in its form had the fans not justifiably expressed their angst toward Jar Jar in Phantom Menace. It was a bad move on George's part to initially have the entire prequel Trilogy with heavy importance placed on Jar Jar. However, George, unlike Disney, listened to the fans. Attack of the Clones wasn't great. A mixed bag. :ehh: By the time Sith arrived, he made a good movie with Revenge of the Sith. :smugdraper:

The fans love George. They love his strengths as an artist (Concepts, characters, worlds, visuals), but they just loathe his weaknesses (Dialogue, screenwriting, and some miscasting). And his weaknesses (as well as some strengths) were on full display at least with the first 2 prequels.

If the Whills were along the lines of Sith, people would get with it. If they were more like PM and ATOTC, then they would be justifiably criticized.

What you are seeing with Disney/Lucas Films is when there is no voice or creative person in charge. Just corporate type folks. They only know numbers.

It is the same reason why Marvel succeeds and DC fumbles. WB is all up in DC's sh*t and meddling. Marvel (Disney) let's Fiege do his thing.

Both DC and Lucasfilms are struggling, but there is one difference: DC listens to the fans. Only problem is they f*cked up sh*t more by trying to fix things. :mjlol: But again, at least they are trying to right the ship.

Disney/Lucas Films, don't think there is a problem. They are blaming the fans. Pointing the finger. Them Solo number spoke volumes though. But again ,they are still copping pleas blaming it on fatigue. :nicki:

Last edited:

PoorAndDangerous

Superstar
Daps
10000%
Star wars was only amazing cause in the 70's that was revolutionary special effects included with a better than average story and a really good plot twist ending. They were good but no where near worth the hype that has been created over the last 30+ years. So the prequels and the last few movies to ME were no worse or no more boring than the original 3. I did however walk out of the last one cause I just wasn't interested enough to see how it ended..

An I never for the life of me understood why people thought the story could be told better by someone other than the guy that created it in the first place, that's some true stan nerd logic. They wanted this so bad they worked themselves into a shoot

The critics of today are the worst, they will never admit to anything being great, they just want likes, and clicks on their blogs
The more something is loved the more people like to profess how much they don't like it in order to feel superior
George put his heart and soul into this franchise.

Most artists feel some type of way when their art is critiqued/heavily scrutinized.

George damn dear died getting this franchise off the ground, and it consumed his life. He had a lot of ideas for other movies. He said Star Wars just became a monster and took over.

Remember, this was only going to be one 1 movie. He made it too long, split into 3 movies and the rest is history.

Do some fans go overboard? Yes. That sh*t with Kelly Marie Tran was totally uncalled for. :martin:
Personally, I f*cks with the prequels, in spite of their problems. Hey, it's Star Wars. :hubie:

However, some of the critiques (not personal attacks) were/are warranted. :manny:

Revenge of the Sith, the best of the prequels, would not have been released in its form had the fans not justifiably expressed their angst toward Jar Jar in Phantom Menace. It was a bad move on George's part to initially have the entire prequel Trilogy with heavy importance placed on Jar Jar. However, George, unlike Disney, listened to the fans. Attack of the Clones wasn't great. A mixed bag. :ehh: By the time Sith arrived, he made a good movie with Revenge of the Sith. :smugdraper:

The fans love George. They love his strengths as an artist (Concepts, characters, worlds, visuals), but they just loathe his weaknesses (Dialogue, screenwriting, and some miscasting). And his weaknesses (as well as some strengths) were on full display at least with the first 2 prequels.

If the Whills were along the lines of Sith, people would get with it. If they were more like PM and ATOTC, then they would be justifiably criticized.

What you are seeing with Disney/Lucas Films is when there is no voice or creative person in charge. Just corporate type folks. They only know numbers.

It is the same reason why Marvel succeeds and DC fumbles. WB is all up in DC's sh*t and meddling. Marvel (Disney) let's Fiege do his thing.

Both DC and Lucasfilms are struggling, but there is one difference: DC listens to the fans. Only problem is they f*cked up sh*t more by trying to fix things. :mjlol: But again, at least they are trying to right the ship.

Disney/Lucas Films, don't think there is a problem. They are blaming the fans. Pointing the finger. Them Solo number spoke volumes though. But again ,they are still copping pleas blaming it on fatigue. :nicki:
Disney fukked solo up in numerous ways, they fired the creative force Miller + lord, they honestly should've got a known actor to play Han. No one knew the actor playing him.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
I don't think him being unknown was the problem..the problem was he didn't have Han's/ford's swag. If they picked a known actor who didn't have han's swag, still woulda sucked

To be fair, nobody has Harrison Ford's swag (or Billy Dee's). I thought Solo was a decent enough movie, but it never felt truly necessary. I thought they would have been better off making spinoffs about the likes of Boba Fett (now-confirmed), as well as other characters who didn't get much screentime in the original films. I could see an Obi-wan movie being interesting as well (now confirmed).

It helps that Boba Fett is a dude in a mask, so anyone can be him.The issue with Solo for me (while I don't think it was a bad movie) is that Han is one of those characters whose swag comes from the fact that he's mysterious. When you go back and beat us over the head with every detail of his life and his past, that kills the mystery and makes him feel less epic. Sometimes it's better to leave certain things unknown because fans will "fill in the blanks" with way crazier and more epic stuff than anything the writers could actually give us.

I'm agreeing with the folks who have been theorizing that Solo's bombing is really a backlash against the Last Jedi. That movie screwed so many of the characters ALL the way up the more I thought about it.

Silver Surfer

Veteran
Daps
To be fair, nobody has Harrison Ford's swag (or Billy Dee's). I thought Solo was a decent enough movie, but it never felt truly necessary. I thought they would have been better off making spinoffs about the likes of Boba Fett (now-confirmed) who didn't get much screentime in the original films. On top of that, Boba Fett is a dude in a mask, so anyone can be him.

I'm agreeing with the folks who have been theorizing that Solo's bombing is really a backlash against the Last Jedi. That movie screwed so many of the characters ALL the way up the more I thought about it.

tjax03

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
3 things lucas would have done better

1. World building
2. Did justice to the characters
3. Kept the pc, sjw garbage out of science fiction