George Lucas Says "Fans Would Have Hated" His Star Wars Sequels

Silver Surfer

Veteran
Daps
Disney's Star Wars movies have been met with a mixed reaction so far, with the latest entry – Solo: A Star Ways Story – becoming the first bonafide bomb of the franchise. Very little of Lucas' ideas for the sequel trilogy have been revealed, but during a new interview in the companion book for AMC's James Cameron's Story Of Science Fiction TV series (via Livio Ramondelli), the creator reveals a new race of creatures dubbed The Whills would have played a key role in the plot.

Lucas goes on to say fans would almost certainly have hated the idea, but that it would have completed his take on the story. Lucas has – by choice – little creative input in the Disney Star Wars movies, and has openly criticized the movies for leaning on nostalgia, instead of bringing viewers into new worlds. His concept for the new trilogy sounds waydifferent from the route Disney has since taken the series, and while it may not have worked, it sure would have made for spirited conversation among the fanbase had it happened.

It will be interesting to see where the Star Wars series goes in light of Solo's failure. There are several planned movies beyond J.J. Abrams Star Wars: Episode IX, including a new trilogy from Rian Johnson (The Last Jedi). That said, a rumor suggests Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy may be about to step down, so the franchise may well head off in a new direction instead.

Swiggy

The King of Comedy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit, MI
oj-if-i-did-it-book.jpg

QuintessentialMan

Banned
Supporter
Daps
You had your chance to tell it your way and you blew it, dont blame us.
This dude was giving us economic trade wars and Jar Jar binks and double blind long cons and mindless clone armies instead of more Darth Maul Sith Piffery and really expanding on the origins of the Jedi, the Force and the universe and tying it all together to tell us what it all means. Now he teases us with this. Just go away dude. You goofed. I admit the new trilogies are NOT taking any bold chances or making any new choices, they do just rely on nostalgia to succeed. I agree with that.

badboys11

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
M
You had your chance to tell it your way and you blew it, dont blame us.
This dude was giving us economic trade wars and Jar Jar binks and double blind long cons and mindless clone armies instead of more Darth Maul Sith Piffery and really expanding on the origins of the Jedi, the Force and the universe and tying it all together to tell us what it all means. Now he teases us with this. Just go away dude. You goofed. I admit the new trilogies are NOT taking any bold chances or making any new choices, they do just rely on nostalgia to succeed. I agree with that.

:salute: